Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Cirrus Lays Off Workers
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 12:23 

Post Likes: +8477
Aircraft: Ex PA22, P28R, V35B
Thanks to Chris for giving us some balance here :cheers:

Composite construction has a lot going for it, which is why it is so commonly used on the new generation of aircraft. It has a wonderful surface and is immensely strong.

I keep wondering to myself if I would buy a composite Bonanza if Beech ever produced one, and I honestly think I'd seriously consider it if I could afford it. I'm guessing it would outperform the metal version.

I'm wondering about construction differences between your starship and the modern composites. I think the modern ones have a foam core, which makes them lighter in weight? This is common construction on composite boats, but has not proved as durable as the old solid, heavy fiberglass.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 13:05 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +2550
Company: BeechTalk
Username Protected wrote:
I bleed Beechcraft, but these Cirri will be around a lot longer than any metal Beechcraft.

Isn't there a 10,000 hour airframe limit on the Cirrus? What happens then... plastic doorstop?

There are a ton of Bos and Barons with more than 10k hours still flying...

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 21:25 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG
I don't care what anyone says.

I did 130 hours in an SR22 in 5 months. Is it a great airplane? Yes. Does it rattle and shake and vibrate and feel like a speedboat?? Yes.

I bought a Beech. I've never been happier.

I'm not saying the SR22 is a bad plane. I could've saved $200K if I bought the SR22 instead of the G36.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 23:52 

Post Likes: +8
Company: ExecuJet Aviation Group
Aircraft: BD700
I bleed Beechcraft, but these Cirri will be around a lot longer than any metal Beechcraft.

Isn't there a 10,000 hour airframe limit on the Cirrus? What happens then... plastic doorstop?

There are a ton of Bos and Barons with more than 10k hours still flying...

Well, at the time of night I wrote that, I was tired, and forgot about the whole life limit thing. What I meant was that the composite material will outlast the aluminum.

With respect to the Cirrus, I believe that its life limit is actually 12,000 hours -- the average owner pilot flies 120/yr (not sure what the owner-pilot does specifically in the Cirri); so, unless the average owner-pilot is blessed with some incredible genes, I don't think s/he'll be around and flying the aircraft 100 years to contemplate the life limit of the aircraft.

Additionally, we aren't comparing apples to apples. The Bo's and most Baron's were certified under CAR 3, which did not specify that a manufacturer determine/prove a life limit. Part 23, on the other hand, does specify that a manufacture prove a life limit -- this is an arbitrary number that the manufacturer proves to the FAA during certification for the TC. In the Cirrus case, they decided that 12,000 was a good number and would be able to easily prove that number to the FAA during TC certification tests. Can, without regulation, the Cirrus exceed that number safely -- I have no doubt. If the Bonanza or the Baron were a newly created aircraft today, they, too, would have a life limit, and based on what Beech used for the P Baron, which fell under the Part 23 regs, I would say that the Bo's and Baron's, constructed as they are today, more than likely would have a 10,000 hr life limit.

To throw the Cirrus, or composite aircraft in general, under the bus because of a Part 23 mandated life limit is unfair and biased.

An earlier post mentioned some things that he had "read" about composites. Having not read what he has, and going on the test data that I have seen for the Starship, I think we are divergent in what we believe. The Starship, as part of its certification and like every other aircraft certified, had to go through its "drop" test. The Starship was hoisted 17 feet into the air, and dropped. Measurements inside the cabin registered, IIRC, 1000 psi. Most every other aircraft registers near or above 1500 psi. The 1500 psi number is a "magical" number as it is the number at which the human back in most people will break. Not only did the Starship and her composite structure register below that number, but it beat that number by 33%.

This would appear to contradict what the earlier poster had read about the energy translating properties of composites vis-a-vis aircraft grade aluminum. It is my understanding as I have been taught that composites absorb and dissapate energy and do not translate energy like metals do. That said, I would prefer aluminum over steel as aluminum tends to translate energy outwardly which has a slight dissapating effect; whereas, steel directly translates from point A to point B.

It's jammy time for Chris -- long day today, and longer day tomorrow....g'night.

Chris

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 00:26 

WWW  Profile

To throw the Cirrus, or composite aircraft in general, under the bus because of a Part 23 mandated life limit is unfair and biased.

Chris,

I generally agree with you about composites, and I don't make a habit of throwing them under the bus just for kicks. OTOH, I take exception to both points in the statement above. If the fact is that the airframe is life limited when another comparable airplane's is not, that isn't an unfair or biased. It's just a fact. :shrug:

To be fair, other composite airplanes like the Diamonds do not share this limit, but then, I don't consider them comparable airplanes either ;)

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 08:24 

Wasn't it raised 5 years ago, before it was only 6.000 hours ?

I don't agree that Beechcraft would put a life limit on new planes now for their non-pressurised models. Doesn't make sense to me.
Quote:
Isn't there a 10,000 hour airframe limit on the Cirrus?

Wasn't it raised 5 years ago, before it was only 6.000 hours ?

I don't agree that Beechcraft would put a life limit on new planes now for their non-pressurised models. Doesn't make sense to me.

I haven't a clue if it was raised or not. I would have to look at the TCDS to see if there was an amendment listed or not; irregardless, it is now either 10k or 12k. The fact that it was raised should be viewed as a positive as opposed to a negative at any rate.

Beech wouldn't have a choice if they wanted to certify in Part 23. The law is the law.

Chris

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 08:25 

Post Likes: +95
Company: FlyMo Arborists
Aircraft: C172M
Composites certainly have some things going for them. The most obvious is the arbitrary shapes that are possible. That provides a lot of freedom with aerodyamics and styling - which can translate to increased performance and sales.

My experience with composites planes is limited to the DA40. Outside of the "buzzy" sound signature in the cabin, the issue I have with that particular plane is the seats. The seats are molded from composite and feel like a McDonald's booth IMO. If the seats were more flexible then my impression of the plane, at least from a touchy-feely aspect, may be different.

Recyclability is one thing that concerns me about composites. What is the plan for composite planes at end of life? Do they go in landfills or are they designed to be recycled? :shrug: Based on what I know, it seems that aluminum airframes are more environmentally friendly when looked at from cradle to grave. Then again, composite planes may save enough fuel over their lifespans to beat aluminum from an energy conservation perspective.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 08:38 

Composites certainly have some things going for them. The most obvious is the arbitrary shapes that are possible. That provides a lot of freedom with aerodyamics and styling - which can translate to increased performance and sales.

My experience with composites planes is limited to the DA40. Outside of the "buzzy" sound signature in the cabin, the issue I have with that particular plane is the seats. The seats are molded from composite and feel like a McDonald's booth IMO. If the seats were more flexible then my impression of the plane, at least from a touchy-feely aspect, may be different.

Recyclability is one thing that concerns me about composites. What is the plan for composite planes at end of life? Do they go in landfills or are they designed to be recycled? :shrug: Based on what I know, it seems that aluminum airframes are more environmentally friendly when looked at from cradle to grave. Then again, composite planes may save enough fuel over their lifespans to beat aluminum from an energy conservation perspective.

I cant imagine sitting on composite formed seats would be all that comfortable -- wow! I didn't know that about the DA40.

With respect to the environmental concern that you have, I can't speak for all composites; but I can tell you what happened to the Starships that were sent to the boneyard. Eventually, they were chopped up into very small pieces -- very small -- and then, those very small pieces were incinerated. I am sure some fumes, ash, etc. made it up into the air, but I haven't felt any effects of that . . . I am sure a few bugs were probably killed in the process . . . <sigh>

:shrug:

Chris

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 09:12 

Post Likes: +95
Company: FlyMo Arborists
Aircraft: C172M
. . . I am sure a few bugs were probably killed in the process . . . <sigh>

:shrug:

Poor bugs! :rofl:

Perhaps my environmental concern is a symptom of my upbringing. But that's another story :cheers:

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 09:13 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +17

I have a big problem with absolute life limits because I think everything should be replaced or repaired on condition, but in the case of the Cirrus and Cessna x00, the killer for me is the environmental impact. At least when that 58P is tossed on the scrap heap at 12000 hours we can throw the metal in a furnace and reclaim it to produce a brand new airplane. What do we do with the composite structures and all the raw materials and energy tied up in them? Decorate a landfill.

Hope Beech is listening and NEVER attempts to "modernize" their construction. It's fine just the way it is.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 10:00 

WWW  Profile

Agreed that it is a fact -- that isn't what my contention is about; rather, you are comparing apples to oranges -- a convenient use of available facts from regulations at different times in history to make a point. Let's call it what it really is, instead of contending that somehow the Cirri are flawed because there is a life limitation (due to a regulation that wasn't around when the Bo's and most of the Barons were certified) while the Bonanza's and most Baron's don't have that limitation.

I guess I'm still unclear on how it changes the actual utility of the aircraft, regardless of why it's life limited the way it is. To use an extreme example, if there was a regulation passed down tomorrow that limited any aircraft with a V-tail to 10,000 hours total, do you not believe that would affect the utility and the price point of the affected aircraft? That's been my point all along, not that the Cirrus was inherently inferior due to its composite frame.

I understand what you're saying, and I have no doubt you're right in why the limits are what they are. And, for the record, I never said the Cirri were flawed because of the limit. However, their utility is certainly diminished by the limits and the why behind these limits doesn't change the situation one iota.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 10:10 

WWW  Profile

They DA40 seats are both a positive and a negative. It's a positive in that they're crash rated to (I think) 12Gs. Negative in that they're stationary and uncomfortable. I can't get far enough away from the rudder pedals at 6' 1", for example.

Many people also aren't aware that the DA20 has a structural temperature gauge. Basically, if the airplane gets too hot, that gauge illuminates, and you cannot fly the aircraft. I know that happened last August at the flight school for a few days, though I believe it was the first time they'd ever seen it.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2