Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
Fax me a BFR?

Post subject: Re: Flight instructor reinstatement
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 12:09 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +220
Aircraft: 2004 Bonanza A36TN
Username Protected wrote:
I wasted a bunch of time getting ready for them remembering how to fly and calculate pivotal altitude for crap like 8's on pylons.

Rant on:
I understand most of the things that they ask you to do for each license. But I always felt that doing 8's on pylons and chandells was (mostly) stupid - the only thing they really helped me do is more 8's and chandells. I guess you could argue that they demonstrated precise control and understanding through a variety of speeds and conditions.... or some other high flutin' kind of %#$@.

I guess I'm weird. A perfectly flown Chandelle or the feeling of slicing perfectly coordinated through the 90 degree point of a Lazy 8 gives me the biggest smile I almost wet my pants. And saying the right thing to someone in the left seat at the right time so they can properly execute the maneuver is enough pleasure for me for an entire week. Teaching (and more importantly, seeing your student succeed) is addicting.

To me, it's kind of like watching your English Setter figure out where the birds are, creep up on them just enough to a solid staunch point, with two hunters walking up to a perfect covey rise and each gets a double with an English lab making effortless retrieves back to your hand.

Or, watching your friend make the perfect fly cast to a huge brown trout under a cut bank. On the third cast, SLAM, the trout eats the fly like a monster and your friend plays it nicely into the net.

There seems to be a progression in any sport or hobby that ends with the pinnacle usually being getting enjoyment out of watching others and passing along our insights to those around us, teaching the next generation.

I love flying, I love shooting, and I love fishing, but I really love showing folks the intricacies of each and showing them how to best position themselves for success.

It's hard to do any of the above "perfect" every time, but that's why we love it. Like any hobby, sport, venture, practicing perfection is a life-long goal.

:btt: :werd:

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 18:45 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
When I took my CFI check ride, I was aerobatic proficient. Problem is, some of the maneuvers are properly done more "by definition" than by pilot skill. The only maneuver I remember that challenged me was the Lazy 8. I had to take the ride in a "complex" airplane and the one available at the time was a damn Arrow. The CFI giving me instruction for the check ride kept berating me for not doing them "right". So, in an act of desperation, I said "here, you show me". Turns out he couldn't do them nearly as well as I could.

Finally, I took the Arrow out by myself and started playing with entry and top of turn numbers. The answer was, the Arrow would do a beautiful Lazy 8 if you didn't use the factory speeds.

What I'm saying is, I have no doubt that you have all the skills necessary, but know the airplane you are flying and all the correct speed numbers for all the maneuvers.

It will be a piece of cake, I'm betting. :thumbup:

Jg

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 20:07 

Post Likes: +641
When I took my CFI check ride, I was aerobatic proficient. Problem is, some of the maneuvers are properly done more "by definition" than by pilot skill. The only maneuver I remember that challenged me was the Lazy 8. I had to take the ride in a "complex" airplane and the one available at the time was a damn Arrow. The CFI giving me instruction for the check ride kept berating me for not doing them "right". So, in an act of desperation, I said "here, you show me". Turns out he couldn't do them nearly as well as I could.

Finally, I took the Arrow out by myself and started playing with entry and top of turn numbers. The answer was, the Arrow would do a beautiful Lazy 8 if you didn't use the factory speeds.

What I'm saying is, I have no doubt that you have all the skills necessary, but know the airplane you are flying and all the correct speed numbers for all the maneuvers.

It will be a piece of cake, I'm betting. :thumbup:

Jg

He passed back in January :peace:

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 20:39 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Tony,

Well, I said he would. :thumbup: I guess I only saw the date of the latest post. :scratch:

What I like about BT is that you can do and say dumb things :crazy: and your friends don't really care. :dancing:

Jg

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 21:42 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC
Tony,

Well, I said he would. :thumbup: I guess I only saw the date of the latest post. :scratch:

What I like about BT is that you can do and say dumb things :crazy: and your friends don't really care. :dancing:

Jg

Well...to start with, we don’t really know. Then, if we did...we certainly would not care! :D

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 06:45 

YIM  Profile

Post Likes: +1180
Company: Leopold Aero, LLC
Aircraft: 1978 Baron E55
I guess I'm weird. A perfectly flown Chandelle or the feeling of slicing perfectly coordinated through the 90 degree point of a Lazy 8 gives me the biggest smile I almost wet my pants. And saying the right thing to someone in the left seat at the right time so they can properly execute the maneuver is enough pleasure for me for an entire week. Teaching (and more importantly, seeing your student succeed) is addicting.

To me, it's kind of like watching your English Setter figure out where the birds are, creep up on them just enough to a solid staunch point, with two hunters walking up to a perfect covey rise and each gets a double with an English lab making effortless retrieves back to your hand.

Or, watching your friend make the perfect fly cast to a huge brown trout under a cut bank. On the third cast, SLAM, the trout eats the fly like a monster and your friend plays it nicely into the net.

There seems to be a progression in any sport or hobby that ends with the pinnacle usually being getting enjoyment out of watching others and passing along our insights to those around us, teaching the next generation.

I love flying, I love shooting, and I love fishing, but I really love showing folks the intricacies of each and showing them how to best position themselves for success.

It's hard to do any of the above "perfect" every time, but that's why we love it. Like any hobby, sport, venture, practicing perfection is a life-long goal.

This was very well written! I feel that way about every hobby or pursuit that I've taken on. When you reach a certain level, and you're considered good enough to be called an expert by your peers, you realize how much you have mastered, but also realize that there is tremendous amount of additional learning/practice to become just a little bit better. :)

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2018, 23:15 

Post Likes: +17
Aircraft: 58P Harpoon
I wasted a bunch of time getting ready for them remembering how to fly and calculate pivotal altitude for crap like 8's on pylons.

Rant on:
I understand most of the things that they ask you to do for each license. But I always felt that doing 8's on pylons and chandells was (mostly) stupid - the only thing they really helped me do is more 8's and chandells. I guess you could argue that they demonstrated precise control and understanding through a variety of speeds and conditions.... or some other high flutin' kind of %#$@.

:btt: :werd:

I agree, that might be one the best posts on any forum, I have ever read, ever. People ask why I keep my CFI current, having a student pass a check-ride, solo, get back from a XC, etc. is one of the most gratifying things that is hard to understand until you have done it!

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3