banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 02:54 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: PC24 Now Certified
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 13:07 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +787
Company: Wings Insurance
Aircraft: 2016 Cirrus SR22 G5
Username Protected wrote:
If I get my Multi Commercial...... Why is an owner operator not considered a "pro pilot"?

In all honesty this is a good topic for you to discuss one on one with your insurance broker - as he or she knows your profile/risk best. The bottom line is you own the airplane (either through an LLC or other entity). Own = Owner

I think this topic has also been beat up a bit in the past so a quick search might yield some previous posts or explanations.

E-mail: thauge@wingsinsurance.com

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 13:12 

Post Likes: +564
Aircraft: PC-24 Citabria 7GCBC

Your skills, ability or approach to aircraft operation probably have little bearing on being considered a "pro pilot" to the insurance world.

I agree with this, but rather than the insurance companies raising premiums or even worse, not writing the policies all together; why not increase standards?

The CJ4 that went down in the lake had obvious shortcuts to pilot training. The Phenom 100 that crashed into the house had obvious shortcuts in training. What baffles me, is why don't the insurance companies require owner pilots to go to FSI are CAE or any other notable school and get their type ratings instead of taking the short cut training? Or require recurrent training every 6 months (like 121) until you have 200 hours. FSI and CAE don't want people drilling holes into the ground on their watch and won't pass their type ride unless they are up to standards.

Raising the standards would cut the losses and/or create a barrier for owner pilots that are not committed.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 13:15 

Post Likes: +289
If I get my Multi Commercial...... Why is an owner operator not considered a "pro pilot"?

In all honesty this is a good topic for you to discuss one on one with your insurance broker - as he or she knows your profile/risk best. The bottom line is you own the airplane (either through an LLC or other entity). Own = Owner

So if you purchase the plane through your company, and then "employ" yourself as the company pilot, ie. pay yourself a salary to be the pilot, then you become a pro pilot and no different than any of the other guys that fly for a company.

Last edited on 11 Dec 2017, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 13:16 

Post Likes: +5226
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172

Raising the standards would ... create a barrier for owner pilots that are not committed.

I think in MBA school they call this a market opportunity.

The market contours exist at the point where demand meets a reasonable outcome, not the best achievable one.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 13:19 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC
FSI and CAE don't want people drilling holes into the ground on their watch and won't pass their type ride unless they are up to standards.

You sure about this? I've heard the contrary when it comes to owner pilots and it is a common perception among the pro ranks that the schools are more lenient in such cases.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 13:30 

Raising the standards would ... create a barrier for owner pilots that are not committed.

I think in MBA school they call this a market opportunity.

The market contours exist at the point where demand meets a reasonable outcome, not the best achievable one.

I see what you are saying but Mr. Hauge said that underwriters were not writing the policies so that doesn't apply here.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 13:42 

You sure about this? I've heard the contrary when it comes to owner pilots and it is a common perception among the pro ranks that the schools are more lenient in such cases.

I wonder how many of these owner pilot jet crashes were trained at FSI or CAE (I know 2 weren't)?

I've scratched my head about some pro pilots making it through FSI too, but FSI "relaxed" standards are probably still higher than "joe's Citation type rating." The first time an Owner/Pilot crashes after being trained at FSI, the relaxed standards will come to an end.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 13:47 

Post Likes: +5226
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
I see what you are saying but Mr. Hauge said that underwriters were not writing the policies so that doesn't apply here.

The problem with owner pilots is not their skill but their personality and judgement.

Owner pilots are disproportionately Type A, high-drive, goal oriented folks who are used to bending the world to their will. They also have a lot riding on the outcome of many flights (be those financial or personal goals). Every flight is a balance of risk and benefit - when you put your hand on the benefit scale, you get more crashes.

There's no way to train away the biases of a pilot for whom the plane is a tool to accomplish his personal goals.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 13:52 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC

I wonder how many of these owner pilot jet crashes were trained at FSI or CAE (I know 2 weren't)?

I've scratched my head about some pro pilots making it through FSI too, but FSI "relaxed" standards are probably still higher than "joe's Citation type rating." The first time an Owner/Pilot crashes after being trained at FSI, the relaxed standards will come to an end.

Didn’t the guy who crashed into FSI’s own schoolhouse just get trained there?

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 14:01 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG

The problem with owner pilots is not their skill but their personality and judgement.

Owner pilots are disproportionately Type A, high-drive, goal oriented folks who are used to bending the world to their will. They also have a lot riding on the outcome of many flights (be those financial or personal goals). Every flight is a balance of risk and benefit - when you put your hand on the benefit scale, you get more crashes.

There's no way to train away the biases of a pilot for whom the plane is a tool to accomplish his personal goals.

Posts like this assume pro flown planes never crash and never have incidents. C'mon.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 14:10 

Yes but requiring 2-3 weeks of training will filter those guys out. The decision NOT to take a training shortcut in itself indicates they have better judgement and decision making related to aviation. Those that are committed and do the proper training, will likely be able to make better judgement.

Ultimately, it still provides an insurance market for these higher hull values to those that are committed.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 14:15 

Didn’t the guy who crashed into FSI’s own schoolhouse just get trained there?

I think so but he was a pro pilot.

I’m referring to insurance companies specifically allowing owner pilots to take training shortcuts for these higher valued hulls, owner pilots crashing, then no longer providing an insurance market for owner pilots that are committed to training.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 14:40 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +787
Company: Wings Insurance
Aircraft: 2016 Cirrus SR22 G5

So if you purchase the plane through your company, and then "employ" yourself as the company pilot, ie. pay yourself a salary to be the pilot, then you become a pro pilot and no different than any of the other guys that fly for a company.

So what else would you do for the company? If nothing then yes that might work if all you did was fly the craft from A to B day in and day out and did nothing else for said company. If you are CEO, Janitor or employed by the company in any other capacity - then no - the insurance underwriter views you as a non-professional pilot. It is what it is....there is really no way to rub the reality any other way which changes the insurance perspective. Right, wrong or indifferent.

E-mail: thauge@wingsinsurance.com

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 15:14 

Post Likes: +926
Aircraft: Aero Commander 980
FSI and CAE don't want people drilling holes into the ground on their watch and won't pass their type ride unless they are up to standards.

This is accurate.

There is a conflict of interest when the customer happiness Is based on an outcome the vendor can control.

If FSI or simcom starts getting hard nosed about checkrides the customers goes somewhere else.

In the professional pilot world, particularly the lower levels. They don’t care if you pass and some school houses actively try and weed people out. It can be a meat grinder at the worst and very effective training at its best. Either way it’s different than owner flown training.

The Owner pilot would not want to train in that environment.

Imagine the future of your business will be dictated by your performance in a hostile training environment.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 15:17 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG

So what else would you do for the company? If nothing then yes that might work if all you did was fly the craft from A to B day in and day out and did nothing else for said company. If you are CEO, Janitor or employed by the company in any other capacity - then no - the insurance underwriter views you as a non-professional pilot. It is what it is....there is really no way to rub the reality any other way which changes the insurance perspective. Right, wrong or indifferent.

So are legitimate pro pilots not allowed to have any other income stream in life except for selling their pilot skills?

Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next