banner
banner

26 Apr 2024, 14:15 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 1769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 118  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Citation 501sp
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2019, 15:17 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10972
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
Username Protected wrote:
Mark

Why would you stay away from a Sierra plane? I am new to the jet scene so have no experience to see the pitfalls.

Thanks.
Mike

It’s a “frankenplane”. Sierra is gone. Cessna doesn’t really see it as theirs. It’s a dated airframe. No follow on is possible. There is a pretty wide gap between what current owners paid and what it is worth. Love flying current gen aircraft or at least aircraft the mfg still supports.

If you get it for a deep discount and Current on engine programs, with a full Garmin panel there is value.

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2019, 15:53 

Post Likes: +21414
Company: Real Estate development
Aircraft: In between
I looked at those several times and shied away. Same considerations as taking any old air frame and putting in substantial upgrades. If you're going to fly it forever, great. If you ever need to sell, it becomes a very small market. With the bankruptcy, even more affect as Mark said. Still has value, but existing owners will have to face some harsh reality if they try to sell. Also, my mechanic looked at one (actually he did it for another fella here), and the installation quality could have been better.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019, 01:25 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
The mustang actually shares quite a bit with the CJ4

I'd be curious to know what that is.

Can't be anything structural, windows, engines, landing gear, door, avionics, HVAC, etc.

So what's left?

Mike C.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019, 07:43 

WWW  Profile

Electric / glass windshields would be one thing they share that the rest of the CJ family doesn’t.

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019, 08:55 

WWW  Profile

Electric / glass windshields would be one thing they share that the rest of the CJ family doesn’t.

But not the same parts. The Mustang fuselage cross section is different than the CJ4 making all the windows, including the front ones, different.

The Mustang was a ground up clean sheet design which shares nothing of significance with prior or later Cessna jets. That is one reason the product line was ended in favor of the M2, a revised CJ at heart, which could be built as cheaply as the Mustang due to commonality with the CJ line.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019, 08:59 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +203
Company: Elemental - Pipistrel
Aircraft: Citation CJ2+
That is one reason the product line was ended in favor of the M2, a revised CJ at heart, which could be built as cheaply as the Mustang due to commonality with the CJ line.

Mike C.

Not sure it can be built for the same price as the mustang. There were a lot of issue at play on that decision - the least of which was the commonality of the type rating.

http://www.elemental.aero

CJ2+
7GCBC
A-1C Husky

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019, 23:38 

Post Likes: +1205
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II
We have a large Duncan aviation service center at my home airport. I called and asked them if they would have a problem maintaining a Stallion. They said no problem. Citation parts and Williams engine. The guy was pretty positive about the plane. His only concern was parts are harder to find sometimes. But he said it just takes extra effort but they are out there. He agreed the plane is CJ2 performance for CJ cost.

Like the PA46 Jet Prop it’s just a modified plane. No alien spaceship parts.

The more I look into it the more I like it. I have not talked to a owner of a stallion that is not currently selling his plane so my experience is limited. Would love to talk to a current owner of a Stallion to get the real deal numbers. Not much data on the web.

Mike

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019, 23:58 

WWW  Profile

We have a large Duncan aviation service center at my home airport. I called and asked them if they would have a problem maintaining a Stallion. They said no problem. Citation parts and Williams engine. The guy was pretty positive about the plane. His only concern was parts are harder to find sometimes. But he said it just takes extra effort but they are out there. He agreed the plane is CJ2 performance for CJ cost.

The more I look into it the more I like it. I have not talked to a owner of a stallion that is not currently selling his plane so my experience is limited. Would love to talk to a current owner of a Stallion to get the real deal numbers. Not much data on the web.

Mike

Get it in writing :rofl:

Hope you find what you are looking for. I have 7 hours in one. First jet i ever flew. The owner took it off programs. Full Garmin panel. Wanted $1.4m? Some where in there. Would give it to me for $1.2m. Told him it was worth $850k. He was insulted. Sat around for two years. Sold it for $850. Whatever.

Hopefully you will have a good experience

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 00:01 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +203
Company: Elemental - Pipistrel
Aircraft: Citation CJ2+

Mike

Get onto CJP and I think there are a few owners that post in the legacy forums. Howard Tobin might be one - he swears by it.

http://www.elemental.aero

CJ2+
7GCBC
A-1C Husky

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 01:18 

WWW  Profile

Not much data on the web.

Not many Stallions out there, doubt there are more than 10 in existence.

The Eagle II (FJ44-2A with extra fuel humps on the wing) is far more common.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 01:50 

Post Likes: +1205
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II
Not much data on the web.

Not many Stallions out there, doubt there are more than 10 in existence.

The Eagle II (FJ44-2A with extra fuel humps on the wing) is far more common.

Mike C.

Mike,

I am looking at a Stallion with Eagle Mod Larger wing. The extra range seems nice. Do they call that the Eagle II and not a Stallion? I thought the Eagle II was the larger Citation II with the Williams engines?

Mike

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 07:19 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55

Mike

Get onto CJP and I think there are a few owners that post in the legacy forums. Howard Tobin might be one - he swears by it.

second that. If you want to know about Citations, join CJP.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 07:52 

Post Likes: +4797
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66

Mike

Michael,

I would never in a million years drop my legacy Citation off at Duncan for maintenance. This introduces a needless level of suffering to the legacy ownership experience.

With regards to Sierra: I would certainly take a Sierra modified plane if it fell into my lap for the right price but I think what some of us are saying here is that the prices people are asking, they are not a good value for what they offer. Keep in mind almost ALL of the Eagle wing modifications leak like crazy and cost you 15kts; there goes much of your speed benefits from the Williams motors. I mean giant puddles of fuel in your hangar leaking. I'm not positive on this but I don't think the engine screens they used are still in production so hopefully one of those doesn't fail. Compared to the Clifford conversions, the workmanship is OK but not great.

At the prices that Pratt powered planes are going for I'd rather have a Pratt plane and not be married to Williams motors. If they are not on programs, expect 500K hot sections versus 30K hots for the Pratts.

A Pratt 501 is a like a Honda Accord, easy to buy and easy to sell. Why not buy a decent Pratt 501 and dip your feet into the legacy Citation waters. Then, you can see if spending 3-4 times the money on an Eagle II to go 20kts faster and save 20 GPH is worth it.

If you really need the range, I get that argument. However, if that is the case, no one wants to sit in a 501 for 1700nm. I'd start looking a V as the prices have hit levels that make them an incredible bargain.

I have a pretty 501 sitting in my hangar now that probably $275K would take it. It needs nothing.

Mike

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 08:22 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC
Sierra mod citations were attractive when the CJ line was the latest greatest and had not taken the larger depreciation hit that they have in recent years. A decade ago it was a very different scenario.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 08:25 

Post Likes: +6
Company: VS Aviation Ltd
Aircraft: None
FYI

http://twinandturbine.com/article/love-legacy-citation/

Reply to topic  [ 1769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 118  Next