banner
banner

25 Apr 2024, 06:23 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 1769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 118  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Citation 501sp
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 10:26 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: ISP Eagle II SR22 g2
Username Protected wrote:
That's interesting about the 560 and S550. Don't they have the same wing, except that the 560 has boots and the S550 has TKS?

Yes, basically true. The "new" wing allows faster cruise speed and slower takeoff and landing speeds, improvement at both ends, when compared to the 500/550 wing.

Quote:
But I still say the 560/Eagle II comparison is apples and oranges. 560 has 5 feet more wingspan, so of course it will compare favorably at only 2,000 lbs more TOW.

That's exactly why you should buy the orange, it works better than the apple.

The main downside to a V versus an Eagle II is the extra fuel it burns. But that isn't as large as delta as one might imagine, maybe 10-15% more per trip, due to better aerodynamics and higher altitude capability.

I looked seriously at Eagle II. The cruise speed impact of the fuel hump plus being a Williams slave turned me off. On a test flight at FL410, the example airplane couldn't go over about mach 0.64. That was uninspiring.

I think I can operate the V cheaper than an Eagle II. One, I don't over pay Williams for engine work and can shop that around, plus do HSI instead of full OH being part 91. Two, being faster means less airframe hours per trip which reduces maintenance costs. Three, I have a Textron provided low utilization inspection program which doubles my inspection intervals, the FJ44 modified legacy Citations don't get that option. Four, on at least a few flights, the V will go non stop and the Eagle II, despite the extra fuel, will require a stop. The west coast of the US is exactly in that range where this is an issue for me.

Mike C.

The eagle ii can be put on a low utilization program. Just not textron. There are others.
What's your real world full fuel range landing with an hour of fuel?
What about full fuel payload?

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 10:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
The eagle ii can be put on a low utilization program. Just not textron. There are others.

Outside of "home grown" versions of inspection programs, the only widely used other program is Bacon. Entry price is $20K plus $1500/year for "maintenance". The program splits a lot of things up into A and B segments of each phase (Textron doesn't). Also, when you sell, the plane instantly becomes unairworthy per FAA guidance since you are out of the factory inspection program intervals. You also have to get Bacon FSDO approved, which varies from district to district, the Textron one doesn't need FSDO approval since it is recommended by the OEM.

The Textron LUMP program is vastly superior to Bacon in every respect.

Quote:

Have not done it actually yet, so can't speak to "real world", but based on experience so far and book numbers, expect it to be in the range of 1900 nm still air using long range cruise.

Quote:

1043 lbs with full fuel (5814 lbs). The avionics upgrade really lightened my plane up. If you off load fuel to match Eagle II range, then I carry as much if not more.

If you get the gross up STC, then you get 400 lbs more to use. The STC basically gives you Ultra weights, 16,500 lbs max ramp, to use on a V. Downside is that it shortens main gear life. I don't have that STC since I doubt I will need it.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 11:05 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
If you want to look a the efficiency, I regularly get 365kts on 730pph at 430.

About mach 0.64, about as fast as an Eagle II can go.

Works out to:

365 KTAS at 730 pph, 2.00 lbs/nm

From the book at mid cruise weights and FL450, Cessna says:

MCT: 379 KTAS at 869 pph, 2.29 lbs/nm

LRC: 361 KTAS at 798 pph, 2.21 lbs/nm

Right in the range of 10-15% more fuel per mile. I have been besting book by about 2-3% but don't really know what it looks like at FL450 yet, so perhaps the book numbers are optimistic there.

If we stay at FL430:

MCT: 390 KTAS at 967 pph, 2.48 lbs/nm

Mid: 364 KTAS at 843 pph, 2.32 lbs/nm

LRC: 357 KTAS at 818 pph, 2.29 lbs/nm

We start to get a meaningful spread between MCT and LRC. Even at MCT, the fuel burn is 24% more, but the speed is 25 knots faster, too. At the same speed (Mid above), 16% more fuel.

I really expected a much lighter plane with an FJ44 to do better than that. The issue is the fuel hump on the Eagle II is just bad aerodynamically at high mach numbers, the air is being asked to change direction too quickly as it flows over it which essentially lowers critical mach number and creates a barrier to going faster. The Stallion (FJ44 but no fuel hump) does a lot better on fuel specifics, but you do have less range with stock fuel.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 11:20 

Post Likes: +1401
Aircraft: C501
My plane has no glamour, it is meant to be functional.

Mike C.

Sorry Mike, but.....

:D :D

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 12:01 

Post Likes: +1264
That's interesting about the 560 and S550. Don't they have the same wing, except that the 560 has boots and the S550 has TKS?

Yes, basically true. The "new" wing allows faster cruise speed and slower takeoff and landing speeds, improvement at both ends, when compared to the 500/550 wing.

Quote:
But I still say the 560/Eagle II comparison is apples and oranges. 560 has 5 feet more wingspan, so of course it will compare favorably at only 2,000 lbs more TOW.

That's exactly why you should buy the orange, it works better than the apple.

The main downside to a V versus an Eagle II is the extra fuel it burns. But that isn't as large as delta as one might imagine, maybe 10-15% more per trip, due to better aerodynamics and higher altitude capability.

I looked seriously at Eagle II. The cruise speed impact of the fuel hump plus being a Williams slave turned me off. On a test flight at FL410, the example airplane couldn't go over about mach 0.64. That was uninspiring.

I think I can operate the V cheaper than an Eagle II. One, I don't over pay Williams for engine work and can shop that around, plus do HSI instead of full OH being part 91. Two, being faster means less airframe hours per trip which reduces maintenance costs. Three, I have a Textron provided low utilization inspection program which doubles my inspection intervals, the FJ44 modified legacy Citations don't get that option. Four, on at least a few flights, the V will go non stop and the Eagle II, despite the extra fuel, will require a stop. The west coast of the US is exactly in that range where this is an issue for me.

Mike C.

Yeah, but the apple with its shorter wingspan has more parking options, and even some taxiways are limited to aircraft with wingspans less than 50'.

And let's not forget that a lot of small airports have runways with 12,500 lb limits.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 12:07 

Post Likes: +1264

Mike C.

Probably the least surprising statement of 2021 so far, but I was kind of hoping the interior at least looked a bit like this.

I mean, come on, it's a business jet and you have to impress potential customers. So in this sense glamour is functional.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 12:08 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3713
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2
It doesn't cost Garmin a penny more to make a gray bezel, of course.

Mike C.

What Garmin is really charging extra for is to keep spare gray boxes in stock.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 12:34 

Post Likes: +6457
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
Mike, that panel is gorgeous, however, it seems to violate your rule of always having a spinning hunk of metal for when the SHTF. What made you change your mind?

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 12:34 

Post Likes: +623
Aircraft: C180
Mike did your avionics turn out as expected?

Mostly.

Overall, very nice. Three sources of weather: FIS-B, SXM, GWX 75 radar. Having charts on the PFD is very nice, hardly use my tablet any more.

Quote:
Any glamour shots of the completed project?

Attachment:
n61gk-panel-2.png

Garmin wanted $1K more per box for gray bezels, so I went with black saving $4K. I think the black looks just fine. I guess a gray panel means you have more money to burn? It doesn't cost Garmin a penny more to make a gray bezel, of course.

Mike C.

Looks great Mike, black bezel is A OK in my book too.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 13:41 

Outside of "home grown" versions of inspection programs, the only widely used other program is Bacon. Entry price is $20K plus $1500/year for "maintenance". The program splits a lot of things up into A and B segments of each phase (Textron doesn't). Also, when you sell, the plane instantly becomes unairworthy per FAA guidance since you are out of the factory inspection program intervals. You also have to get Bacon FSDO approved, which varies from district to district, the Textron one doesn't need FSDO approval since it is recommended by the OEM.

The Textron LUMP program is vastly superior to Bacon in every respect.

Quote:

Have not done it actually yet, so can't speak to "real world", but based on experience so far and book numbers, expect it to be in the range of 1900 nm still air using long range cruise.

Quote:

1043 lbs with full fuel (5814 lbs). The avionics upgrade really lightened my plane up. If you off load fuel to match Eagle II range, then I carry as much if not more.

If you get the gross up STC, then you get 400 lbs more to use. The STC basically gives you Ultra weights, 16,500 lbs max ramp, to use on a V. Downside is that it shortens main gear life. I don't have that STC since I doubt I will need it.

Mike C.

My plane had a "home grown" inspection program but I didn't renew it upon purchase as I anticipate flying more than the program limits.

What's range at MCT?

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 14:28 

If you want to look a the efficiency, I regularly get 365kts on 730pph at 430.

About mach 0.64, about as fast as an Eagle II can go.

Works out to:

365 KTAS at 730 pph, 2.00 lbs/nm

From the book at mid cruise weights and FL450, Cessna says:

MCT: 379 KTAS at 869 pph, 2.29 lbs/nm

Right in the range of 10-15% more fuel per mile. I have been besting book by about 2-3% but don't really know what it looks like at FL450 yet, so perhaps the book numbers are optimistic there.

If we stay at FL430:

MCT: 390 KTAS at 967 pph, 2.48 lbs/nm

We start to get a meaningful spread between MCT and LRC. Even at MCT, the fuel burn is 24% more, but the speed is 25 knots faster, too. At the same speed (Mid above), 16% more fuel.

I really expected a much lighter plane with an FJ44 to do better than that. The issue is the fuel hump on the Eagle II is just bad aerodynamically at high mach numbers, the air is being asked to change direction too quickly as it flows over it which essentially lowers critical mach number and creates a barrier to going faster. The Stallion (FJ44 but no fuel hump) does a lot better on fuel specifics, but you do have less range with stock fuel.

Mike C.

At MCT per the book it's a 25% delta at 430 and 15% at 430. Let me know what the actual is. I don't care much about LRC which is why I didn't post those numbers. It increases cost via plane time and traveler time.
Something tells me you won't be at 450 often so a consistent 25% delta in fuel specific burn is nothing to sneeze at. Of course you're flying a bit faster and with a bigger cabin.
Once I cross 400 turbine hours I'll start looking at 560's.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 14:47 

Post Likes: +1298
Aircraft: C501SP
Hey Mike, does your V have an SPZ-500? Do you have VNAV? I have 2 G600s and 2 GTN750s so similar setup to yours.

My instructor and I went up for our first flight today. Everything worked perfectly except we could not get the VNAV button to do anything. We were flying an RNAV approach and the altitudes were listed on the 750 in White which is supposed to mean than can be VNAV'd.

Once at the FAF, Approach mode captured the glideslope just fine (same for the ILS we did as well) and it flew great. Just would not VNAV with the other fixes.

I have never used VNAV in the Cirrus as there is usually just one or 2 altitudes on an approach. But w/ the jet I know I will be doing STARs and such and having VNAV for those would be nice.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 14:55 

Hey Mike, does your V have an SPZ-500? Do you have VNAV? I have 2 G600s and 2 GTN750s so similar setup to yours.

My instructor and I went up for our first flight today. Everything worked perfectly except we could not get the VNAV button to do anything. We were flying an RNAV approach and the altitudes were listed on the 750 in White which is supposed to mean than can be VNAV'd.

Once at the FAF, Approach mode captured the glideslope just fine (same for the ILS we did as well) and it flew great. Just would not VNAV with the other fixes.

I have never used VNAV in the Cirrus as there is usually just one or 2 altitudes on an approach. But w/ the jet I know I will be doing STARs and such and having VNAV for those would be nice.

Pretty sure the spz doesn't have Modern vnav capability. When the G600 comes...

Last edited on 13 Jul 2021, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 15:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3713
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2

SPZ-500 VNAV is very rudimentary and only works with VOR/DME waypoints (you need a valid VOR TO/From signal and DME distance). Essentially you set up a vnav target altitude and distance offset from the VOR/DME.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021, 17:10 

Post Likes: +1298
Aircraft: C501SP
SPZ-500 VNAV is very rudimentary and only works with VOR/DME waypoints (you need a valid VOR TO/From signal and DME distance). Essentially you set up a vnav target altitude and distance offset from the VOR/DME.

Hi Terry. Thank you for the info. I figured since the Garmin could feed heading and altitude info to the SPZ-500 that it could feed in VNAV. Ok, Altitude bug it is until the GFC600 is STCd.

Reply to topic  [ 1769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 118  Next