banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 14:39 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 1769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 118  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Citation 501sp
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 23:35 

Post Likes: +5100
Company: Rusnak Auto Group
Aircraft: Baron B55 N7123N
Username Protected wrote:
Aren't 99% of the airplanes on BT mostly hobby airplanes? I'm not really sure why this is any different because it has jet engines. With that said, you probably would be A OK with one of these for serious business travel.

I’ve got a real problem with characterization of our aircraft as “hobby airplanes”. Maybe I am hyper-sensitive account of the recent 414 and A36TC fatal accidents near me. Flying for personal reasons is no hobby. Building model planes as I did when I was a kid is. Treat your flying as a “hobby” and you’ll end up as a statistic. Flying is serious business. Tremendous fun, sense of satisfaction, and a skill set that is never complete. Hobby - not.

Sven

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 23:53 

Post Likes: +4406
Aircraft: 1967 Baron B55
Flying an “old antique jet”, “single pilot” above 30,000 feet is serious business.
There is a lot that can go wrong and place a “unprepared” pilot and passengers in serious trouble.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 09:52 

Post Likes: +4780
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
Aren't 99% of the airplanes on BT mostly hobby airplanes? I'm not really sure why this is any different because it has jet engines. With that said, you probably would be A OK with one of these for serious business travel.

I’ve got a real problem with characterization of our aircraft as “hobby airplanes”. Maybe I am hyper-sensitive account of the recent 414 and A36TC fatal accidents near me. Flying for personal reasons is no hobby. Building model planes as I did when I was a kid is. Treat your flying as a “hobby” and you’ll end up as a statistic. Flying is serious business. Tremendous fun, sense of satisfaction, and a skill set that is never complete. Hobby - not.

All leisure activities that involve movement or engines are serious business. I have model airplanes that can easily chop your hand off and could certainly kill you or burn your house down; they aren't toys like flying a kite. Boating, water-skiing, motorcycles, cycling, full scale airplanes, mountain climbing, etc. are all hobbies but are serious business. Building model airplanes involves dangerous chemicals, paints, saws, soldering, razors and is also a serious activity. All of these hobbies can and have killed people. I guess that's the difference, I don't equate the word hobby with with being sloppy and careless because the hobbies I have chosen all have the potential to cause serious bodily harm if not treated professionally.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 09:56 

Flying an “old antique jet”, “single pilot” above 30,000 feet is serious business.
There is a lot that can go wrong and place a “unprepared” pilot and passengers in serious trouble.

I'm not saying I disagree with your comment but flying an even more antique Baron has a much higher potential to put the unprepared pilot and passengers in serious trouble than the guy in the slightly less antique Citation. I stand behind my belief that there is nothing more dangerous than a sloppy airmen in a piston twin. Engine failures in a jet are a near feet on the floor event.

Pretty much the entire general aviation fleet is an antique I'll take an antique jet any day over an antique piston.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 10:01 

Post Likes: +22857
Aircraft: A33

Of course it's a hobby - it's silly to think otherwise. I don't get paid to fly my beechcraft, and I don't need to do it because strictly speaking i could travel by other means. So I'm doing it at my discretion. That's a hobby. Yours is probably a hobby too. Why fight the idea? Nothing wrong with it. The fact that you can die doing it doesn't make it otherwise. Scuba diving, track days, rock climbing, whatever floats your boat. All hobbies that can kill you if you screw it up.

I do get paid a little to fly the king air at night and i wouldn't do it for free, so not a hobby.

I wouldn't volunteer to get in the cropduster to kill beetles if our pumpkins would survive some other way, so not a hobby. But then we don't live off the farm income, so the farm is a hobby, which means spraying beetles is a hobby. This can make your head hurt if you dwell on it

Hobbies are nothing to be ashamed of. We are blessed to live in a time and place where we can afford hobbies. Embrace it.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 10:15 

Post Likes: +3381
Aircraft: planeless
+1 to what Jeff said.... as usual.

Just because you don't like to call it a hobby doesn't make it not a hobby in reality.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 20:04 

Post Likes: +7927
Company: Minister of Pith
Aircraft: Piper PA28/140
How many other "hobbies" require prospective "hobbyists" to get the ongoing approval of the federal government to participate, and can lose the right to participate if their health doesn't meet "standards" or pay fines/go to prison for making a "mistake" pursing their "hobby"? :scratch:

And, how many "airquotes" are allowed in one run-on sentence? :roll:

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 20:08 

Post Likes: +7925
Aircraft: C-182

Gerald,

Flying and old antique jet above 30,000 single pilot is even more serious when it's flown by an old antique pilot. :eek: :D

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 20:30 

Post Likes: +4406
Aircraft: 1967 Baron B55

Gerald,

Flying and old antique jet above 30,000 single pilot is even more serious when it's flown by an old antique pilot. :eek: :D

:lol:

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 21:38 

Post Likes: +8782
Aircraft: A36
How many other "hobbies" require prospective "hobbyists" to get the ongoing approval of the federal government to participate, and can lose the right to participate if their health doesn't meet "standards" or pay fines/go to prison for making a "mistake" pursing their "hobby"? :scratch:

Really big boats, certain firearms ('NFA items') and the 'good stuff' in fireworks come to mind.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 18:07 

I sold the Klingon Wednesday and didn't lose a penny. What a blast! I flew her well over a hundred hours of travel since early December 2017. Nothing exploded or expensive broke and I learned a ton and had a great time. I'm a better pilot for the experience. I don't feel bad at all and believe I can rent it whenever I want and also fly it for the new owners often. A real Win Win.

What's next? I'll probably just use my Garmined up 500LW and get my single pilot waiver when it's not being used for training. The 501 had a lousy KLN90B and having the ability to shoot coupled WAAS approaches in the 500 is a big deal for me. I perused Controller and Trade A Plane and nothing really excited me except scary old fighter jets.

Eyes are opened up for V or SII or maybe just a straight II but I've found with the new baby, I don't think I'm going too many places for the next few years. The jet market is really hot right now and it's a wonderful time to sell.

I'm glad I could share this adventure.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 18:44 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10962
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
I sold the Klingon Wednesday and didn't lose a penny. What a blast! I flew her well over a hundred hours of travel since early December 2017. Nothing exploded or expensive broke and I learned a ton and had a great time. I'm a better pilot for the experience. I don't feel bad at all and believe I can rent it whenever I want and also fly it for the new owners often. A real Win Win.

What's next? I'll probably just use my Garmined up 500LW and get my single pilot waiver when it's not being used for training. The 501 had a lousy KLN90B and having the ability to shoot coupled WAAS approaches in the 500 is a big deal for me. I perused Controller and Trade A Plane and nothing really excited me except scary old fighter jets.

Eyes are opened up for V or SII or maybe just a straight II but I've found with the new baby, I don't think I'm going too many places for the next few years. The jet market is really hot right now and it's a wonderful time to sell.

And just like that it is over? Wow. I thought you were in love?

I have to say I feel a little cheated here Michael. We will never know the real cost of ownership. :lol:

Hope you find a suitable plan b.

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 20:42 

And just like that it is over? Wow. I thought you were in love?

I have to say I feel a little cheated here Michael. We will never know the real cost of ownership. :lol:

Hope you find a suitable plan b.

I spent $300 in parts. Bad data points for cost of owning

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 21:43 

Post Likes: +3026
Aircraft: SR22;CJ2+;C510
Stay tuned to this channel for more episodes of Plane Flippers.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 23:56 

Post Likes: +338
Aircraft: AA1B,PA28,PA18,CE500
And I used to think Todd Sanderson had undiagnosed airplane ADHD. MT wins hands down.

Reply to topic  [ 1769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 118  Next