banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 08:02 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 1769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 118  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Citation 501sp
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018, 23:59 

Post Likes: +108
Company: ARC Group Medical
Aircraft: 1976 Bonanza V35TN
Well damn, I’m going to have to read the entire 41 pages and see if a 500 series is for me. Did 320 HRs in the 421 last year

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 00:09 

Post Likes: +860
Aircraft: PA12
Username Protected wrote:
Well damn, I’m going to have to read the entire 41 pages and see if a 500 series is for me. Did 320 HRs in the 421 last year

Dude if you fly very long legs you can deffinately make a Klingon work!

8/17 CL65
3/17 CE500

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 07:19 

Post Likes: +4796
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
We just finished a really intensive Phase 1-5 on a rental Klingon (It's currently available for training at Premier Jet in Stuart and is all Garmined up and also very nice to look at) that included a new windshield (45 hours and a new side window (35 hours) along with lots of little squawks. This was done by an independent service center and not some shade tree mechanic.

Everyone is probably wondering what does a really intensive inspection cost? What does this thing cost to own? I think it is a safe bet that including lots of little squawks and averaging in big stuff like windows, it's about $12-15K a year in maintenance to own one of these.

Some have suggested it takes $60-100K a year to maintain these but I genuinely believe that is not accurate with some very basic prudence and planning.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 09:14 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10972
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
We just finished a really intensive Phase 1-5 on a rental Klingon (It's currently available for training at Premier Jet in Stuart and is all Garmined up and also very nice to look at) that included a new windshield (45 hours and a new side window (35 hours) along with lots of little squawks. This was done by an independent service center and not some shade tree mechanic.

Everyone is probably wondering what does a really intensive inspection cost? What does this thing cost to own? I think it is a safe bet that including lots of little squawks and averaging in big stuff like windows, it's about $12-15K a year in maintenance to own one of these.

Some have suggested it takes $60-100K a year to maintain these but I genuinely believe that is not accurate with some very basic prudence and planning.

https://www.libertyjet.com/jet-ownershi ... e=CE-501SP

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 09:42 

Post Likes: +3198
Aircraft: C55, PC-12
In general it is X hours of labor per hour of flying. I think 1 to 1 is possible but it gets harder with older airplanes. If parts are cheap and labor is cheap and you don't fly too many hours then you may hit the low end. If you take it to the service center and use new parts then you'll hit the high end. If a used part isn't available, then you'll miss the mark by quite a bit.

My Williams engines cost $145/hr on the TAP plan. Recently an ignitor broke off and went through the engine and Williams came out and replaced about 2/3rds of the engine. The engine program covered 100% of this (labor and parts). Luck can go either way when you own something like this. I think 10-15K/year definitely includes some good luck.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 10:01 

Post Likes: +40
MH
Thanks for the link to Liberty. This is a perfect example of what really turns people off from GA. The mystery surrounding costs. One one hand you've got one guy saying that he easily maintains his jet for $15k per year. Seriously? Cmon. Then, this Liberty budget shows $150k for maintenance. Someone here is waaaay off.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 10:06 

Post Likes: +251
Company: Veridian Ltd
Aircraft: Baron - B55
Sounds like a fabulous business opportunity for Michael! ........ Hmmmmmm, maybe not. :whistle:

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 10:14 

Post Likes: +185
Aircraft: KA F90, Premier 1A

I am not buying this story. I can’t believe anyone is operating any turbine aircraft at this cost. Brakes, tires, avionics, inspection labor and oh ya...parts.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 11:07 

Post Likes: +6970
BT fail.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 11:51 

I am not buying this story. I can’t believe anyone is operating any turbine aircraft at this cost. Brakes, tires, avionics, inspection labor and oh ya...parts.

You're throwing operating costs into the mix. I simply said inspections/maintenance on average. Regardless, one of my best friends owns a Premier and we chat often. The Premier is at least 5 times more expensive to maintain than a Citation 1SP. Just your database subscription of $6K + is huge. All those little black $90K boxes are huge in the Premier. Total apples to oranges comparison.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 14:36 

Post Likes: +4650

why not? He's owned it for 8 months, with his math he probably has 500hours of time in it, that's plenty of time to accumulate a detailed maintenance log and handle multiple major inspection intervals, and even instruct others in the airframe!

it would be great if we had pilots on this forum who have owned and operated jets for years, both personal and business that could contribute, oh wait... :deadhorse:

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 15:07 

Post Likes: +21336
Company: Real Estate development
Aircraft: In between
I sure hope it works out for him. I think if one looks at just the number of man hours required to perform the inspections at an hourly rate, it will exceed the above estimate. Then, one has to add the cost to fix what the inspection finds. Then, there's normal wear and tear replacements. Then, there's other things that are old that have to be fixed. Then.......

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 16:15 

why not? He's owned it for 8 months, with his math he probably has 500hours of time in it, that's plenty of time to accumulate a detailed maintenance log and handle multiple major inspection intervals, and even instruct others in the airframe!

it would be great if we had pilots on this forum who have owned and operated jets for years, both personal and business that could contribute, oh wait... :deadhorse:

Clap Clap for Brian Thomas chiming in about something he knows nothing about and about something that has nothing to do with him. I haven't read one single thing on Beechtalk that you have ever positively contributed to. Your comments are negative, critical, abrasive, aggressive and add absolutely no value to this thread. The tone of everything you write expresses overall unhappiness and envy. Your words are acidic.

As I said, I own two of these now and one just underwent an extensive 1-5 inspection. So yes, I have a pretty good idea of what the major inspection costs are like. I've flown mine close to 150 hours so I have a pretty decent idea of the reliability. I have 3 close friends that are flying their 501s regularly so I have an even larger data point on costs and reliability. I instruct in the 501 almost every weekend which has given me more experience beyond my personal flying. All of this experience gives me a pretty decent idea of the costs of operating this machine. An expert, by no means, but I'm not exactly a neophyte in the airplane either.

My 501SP is working out for me exactly as intended and I am enjoying the heck out of it. My costs are right in line with what I expected. 5 other people have put their money down and are doing the exact same thing. Not everyone has access to used parts as I do so their experience my vary.

And, if it doesn't work out and my cost factors are off by a factor of 2 or 3, I certainly don't care and I'm sure the other people that have bought one don't care either.

More importantly, why does Brian care so much to drip his acid into an otherwise pleasant and interesting topic of conversation?

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 16:58 

Post Likes: +4650
I've flown mine close to 150 hours so I have a pretty decent idea of the reliability.
More importantly, why does Brian care so much to drip his acid into an otherwise pleasant and interesting topic of conversation?

I do not believe there is a single pilot on this forum that will tell you after 150hours of owning their plane they had it all figured out and expected no further surprises.

This is beechtalk, everyone has something to contribute to this topic- from the airline pilots, to the business owners, to the retired crowd and the student pilots. I think the resistance you are hitting on this subject is from those who have either done the homework and come to a different conclusion on operating an older jet, or those who have BTDT and have the receipts to prove it. Time will tell for you, didn't your last jet endeavor result in a yard sale?

I believe you are in the dental industry- I'm sure you notice those who do not floss, or those who are in need of some preventative care, it probably comes natural to you, call it a gift?

I work with numbers, manipulation, and logic. While observing your posts and post history, the math is often puzzling. Can't wait to see what the hobbs reads on controller when you sell this bird. :popcorn:

I have to address the envy comment. My typical flight missions are 225nm; there is a 441 that flies the same leg weekly, I know the pilot very well, it is not uncommon that I arrive ahead of him or at the very least at a similar ETA. The fuel truck visits me less. I have concluded that I have zero use for a light jet based on this and other factors. I can maintain a much better return on my capital with my other investments. Again with that pesky logic

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 20:48 

Logical, thoughtful response Brian. I'm not worried about financial surprises on the 501. I've accepted the risk of financial pain and I accept it. Let's remove the financial issue from the discussion. Analytics, math, experience of others, and your own logic all go into financial planning when looking at an airplane purchase. There's a lot of risk in buying and owning an older jet and if can't accept this, don't do it. I guarantee you can get burned in this with a bad airframe. I, thus far, have been lucky with maintenance expenses. Maybe it won't continue this way, maybe it will. That's my experience.

Let's also remove justifying this from a financial perspective. You can't do that. It makes no sense. You do it because you want to do it. There's no justification for owning a jet.

My IV-P will beat the Citation on pretty much any trip anywhere at 1/10 the cost of operation. That's not the point. My wife likes the Citation and the Citation is a hobby and I love my wife. I prefer the IV-P but once again, that doesn't matter.

Let's try to refocus this thread onto the experiences of legacy Citation owners rather than the justification of doing this. Share your costs, wins, loses, and experiences.

My latest stupidity is I bought a hangar that cost more than the airplane to put my jet in. Stupid me.

Last edited on 15 Aug 2018, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.

Reply to topic  [ 1769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 118  Next