Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a Cub.....
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 10:26 

Post Likes: +1667
Aircraft: B95A Z526F SU26
Username Protected wrote:
my opinion - I added a caveat
Quote:
A hand prop 65 j3 is the best combo for light and fun flying out there....ASSUMING AN AERONCA CHAMP IS NOT AVAILABLE

By the time I get myself into the seat of a J3 I'm too aggravated to enjoy the flight. With a champ, just step in like a civilized person.

Glad I'm not alone with this sentiment... plus with average price delta, you funded years of avgas or a decade of mogas!

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 10:35 

Post Likes: +2868
Company: WA Aircraft
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza E33C
The only "pig" Cub is the stock 65 horsepower model which is grossly underpowered.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Power isn't the answer - coordinated flight is. A 65 cub with 2 people forces you to fly the airplane and not lean on the crutch of horsepower. The difference between climbing and not climbing is a centered ball. The difference between stopping on the 700ft strip and not stopping (mind you expansion tube brakes barely do anything) is 1 knot on approach.

I learned to fly and flew a "65hp" lycoming o-145 j3 for 300 hours or so when I was 16-18. If you know what an o-145 is you know why 65hp is in quotes.

The airframe was light as a feather. It teaches you how to FLY, not just drive something with a big engine around.

In my opinion, this is the single biggest problem with aviation today. Lack of basic stick and rudder skills that can only be taught in an airplane that can barely get out of it's own way. The reality is, these skills will save your life in an emergency - be it in a cub or a 787.

The only thing cooler than a stock 65 j3 is a clipped wing 65 j3. Snap rolls in a cub are a hoot :pilot:

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 11:38 

Post Likes: +246
Aircraft: C208B, AL18-115
Let me modify the "pig" comment I made earlier. Most older Cubs and Supercubs tend to have been wrecked, rebuilt, modified, and generally changed over the years. The level of workmanship and precision of measurement is highly variable. There are many stories of "identically" and modified equipped cubs with vastly different flying qualities.

I have owned two Supercubs (180 and 150), a PA-14, and currently an American Super Legend (115 hp). They all have the same wing. They all fly a little differently.

Most cubs are wonderfully balanced and a pleasure to fly. Some are pigs. You can't always tell by the specs. Fly it. Let go of the stick in cruise-what happens? How does it stall? Do you have adequate elevator trim? Are you constantly re-trimming? Can you fly with your fingertips? How does it behave at speed on the runway?

Most mechanical issues are easy to fix and parts are available. I think it is harder to fix bad flying qualities.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 16:42 

Post Likes: +21
Aircraft: C-172, J-3, ex G35
If this aircraft has ever had an engine driven generator installed, it will fall under the ADS-B rules, otherwise it is exempt.
Starter is OK if only a battery is used. Could be good for 20 or so starts between charging.
My 1945 J3 with C90-8F is hand propped weekly & is based under the KATL mode C veil.
No battery, just a handheld radio with headset.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 20:29 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
The only "pig" Cub is the stock 65 horsepower model which is grossly underpowered.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Power isn't the answer - coordinated flight is. A 65 cub with 2 people forces you to fly the airplane and not lean on the crutch of horsepower. The difference between climbing and not climbing is a centered ball. The difference between stopping on the 700ft strip and not stopping (mind you expansion tube brakes barely do anything) is 1 knot on approach.

I learned to fly and flew a "65hp" lycoming o-145 j3 for 300 hours or so when I was 16-18. If you know what an o-145 is you know why 65hp is in quotes.

The airframe was light as a feather. It teaches you how to FLY, not just drive something with a big engine around.

In my opinion, this is the single biggest problem with aviation today. Lack of basic stick and rudder skills that can only be taught in an airplane that can barely get out of it's own way. The reality is, these skills will save your life in an emergency - be it in a cub or a 787.

The only thing cooler than a stock 65 j3 is a clipped wing 65 j3. Snap rolls in a cub are a hoot :pilot:

Thanks for the education Max. Obviously I have no stick and rudder skills or experience to match yours. You the man! :thumbup:

Jgreen :peace:

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 20:36 

Post Likes: +805
Aircraft: BE58/7AC/C140
Sorry to hijack.

I need a right wing (wood spar) for my '46 J3. If anyone happens across one, please let me know. :bow:

I think Rainbow Flying Service makes them. I’m pretty sure a friend of mine just ordered a set of cub spars from them.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 20:47 

Thanks for the education Max. Obviously I have no stick and rudder skills or experience to match yours. You the man! :thumbup:

Jgreen :peace:

You have a cub and a 180. I'm sure you're doing fine! :pilot:

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2017, 19:55 

Post Likes: +1024
Location: KLWM, Lawrence Municipal, No. Andover, MA and KCQX, Chatham Municipal, Chatham, MA
Aircraft: 1981 A36, 1946 J-3
Hi All,

Since my last post, another 1946 J3 has come to my attention, and as of today I have it under agreement!

This Cub was completely restored in 2012, only 125 flight hours ago. It is C-85 powered (no starter), has metal spars, and sealed struts. It has wheel and brake upgrades, but is much more of a 'stock' J3. It is a very pretty bird, and is in pristine condition! The purchase is conditioned on a pre-purchase inspection, but I don't expect any surprises. I'll post pictures and more details once the deal is finalized!

Thanks for the input!

John M.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2017, 20:25 

Hi All,

Since my last post, another 1946 J3 has come to my attention, and as of today I have it under agreement!

This Cub was completely restored in 2012, only 125 flight hours ago. It is C-85 powered (no starter), has metal spars, and sealed struts. It has wheel and brake upgrades, but is much more of a 'stock' J3. It is a very pretty bird, and is in pristine condition! The purchase is conditioned on a pre-purchase inspection, but I don't expect any surprises. I'll post pictures and more details once the deal is finalized!

Thanks for the input!

John M.

Congrats John, it is a possession that will become "part of the family". I've had mine for 23 years now The 85 HP is a significant benefit, IMO, and more than anything a safety benefit. I am curious as to the kind of tailwheel you have. An upgrade there will make a big difference in ground handling.

Looking forward to pictures. :thumbup:

Jg

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2017, 20:33 

Post Likes: +2403
Company: retired corporate mostly
Aircraft: 1956 Champion 7EC
A while back I soloed a young lady, who weighed maybe 90 pounds soaking wet, in an 85 horse full span Cub. I warned her of the rate of climb without my 200 lbs. She went up like a rocket!
(and back successfully).

soloed in a land of Superhomers/1959 Cessna 150, retired with Proline 21/ CJ4.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2017, 23:21 

Post Likes: +1024
Location: KLWM, Lawrence Municipal, No. Andover, MA and KCQX, Chatham Municipal, Chatham, MA
Aircraft: 1981 A36, 1946 J-3

Congrats John, it is a possession that will become "part of the family". I've had mine for 23 years now The 85 HP is a significant benefit, IMO, and more than anything a safety benefit. I am curious as to the kind of tailwheel you have. An upgrade there will make a big difference in ground handling.

Jg

Hi John,

I’ve wanted a Cub for a long time; so I expect this one will be with me for quite some time!

The fact is I know next to nothing about the working of Cub’s, so I’ve got a bit of work to do to get up to speed! I sure expect it to be a ton of fun though!

This Cub has a “Maule” tailwheel. I’m not sure the significance, is that desirable? it does have aftermarket disk brakes.

Last edited on 04 Dec 2017, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 08:28 

John,

First, let me define my Cub. It is a'46 J-3 modified to a PA-11 configuration. O-200 engine with pressure cowl, front seat pilot, wing tanks, disc brakes, etc., etc.; about 14 STC's/337's/field approvals.

I don't have flaps or the Super Cub horizontal stabilizer, but I do have starter and electrical system which I added several years after my original purchase.

It came with the "Maule" single fork tail wheel and solid rubber tire and was a bitch to handle on the ground. It would ground loop faster than a cat can turn to lick his behind. I figured that was good for teaching my boys to fly, and I did. But honestly, when used it to give my buddies a couple of hours of tailwheel time, it was so unpleasant that most didn't come back for seconds. That's bad. It turned a couple off from getting their tail wheel endorsement.

I converted to the dual fork Bushmaster supplied by Wag Aero with pneumatic tail wheel and it made all the difference in the world.

It will cost over $2.000 to install with labor, but it will make it a much more pleasant airplane to fly.

Jg

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 08:50 

Post Likes: +8898
Aircraft: 1962 Debonair B33
My Cub has a Maule tailwheel, and it doesn't exhibit any bad tendencies. If anything, I'd prefer for my Maule tailwheel to lock more readily. Other than that, no complaints.

I'd suggest you fly it for a couple of years before spending money on a new tailwheel.

jh

Planes don’t care how much money you have. They only care how much money they need.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 09:58 

Jg

Hi John,

I’ve wanted a Cub for a long time; so I sexpect this one will be with me for quite some time!

The fact is I know next to nothing about the working of Cub’s, so I’ve got a bit of work to do to get up to speed! I sure expect it to be a ton of fun though!

This Cub has a “Maule” tailwheel. I’m not sure the significance, is that desirable? it does have aftermarket disk brakes.

I'm not a huge fan of the maule tail wheels. What helps with the squirlyness is correcting the angle of the leaf spring. The swivel bolt for the tail wheel needs to be angled forward at a good 5 degrees. If the leaf spring has flattened and the angle of the swivel is vertical or aft, it will shimmy and be squirly.

I'm a fan of the small Scott 2000 tail wheels on cubs. I like the look :shrug:

I happen to have 2 Scott 2000 assemblies without the wheel for sale on eBay. I'd be willing to sell the better one on BT for $150 free shipping CONUS.

Congrats on the cub!

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 10:09 

Post Likes: +72
Aircraft: 63 Deb, 73 C-185
Some 13 years I bought a 46 65hp cub. The prop was wooden and I sent it to Sensenich to have it overhauled and they said it could not be overhauled due to a small delamination of the hub. Was very lucky and found a almost new McCauley metal and installed it. Performance was much better. A year later I ran across a very low time C90-8 with complete logs that had been obtained and overhauled by a non A&P for a good price. My Mech and I did a complete overhaul with new jugs and added a 12gal wing tank at the same time. What a big difference in performance and the wing tank was a very valuable addition. I did not want an electrical system for the added weight and having to need a transponder. Once an electrical system is added it technically will always need a transponder even if the system is at some time removed. Flew it for 10 years and loved it but it did not fit my new mission which was fly fishing in Maine and camping. Sold it to a very lucky fellow from Ohio who seems to love it.
If you have any questions feel to PM me.
Tom

Last edited on 06 Dec 2017, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next