banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 11:22 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Help me Avanti sleuth!
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 16:05 

Post Likes: +1067
Two of them showed up at Palm Beach, same exact time, parked right next to each other tucked behind one of the big hangars. They have bags over the engines and they have sat parked since they showed up. :scratch:

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 16:29 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5519
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
Avantair were cannibalizing their whole fleet for spares. In the end, I think only 4 or 5 were airworthy, and customers were livid. The reason they were cannibalizing all the planes is because they owed Piaggio and all the parts centers millions and they refused to sell them any parts!

Such tragic capital destruction. And irreparable damage on many of these aircraft - many will most likely never fly again.

http://aviationweek.com/bca/avantair-failure-cautionary-tale-part-2

Last edited on 15 Nov 2017, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 16:31 

Post Likes: +22857
Aircraft: A33
Username Protected wrote:
Two of them showed up at Palm Beach, same exact time, parked right next to each other tucked behind one of the big hangars. They have bags over the engines and they have sat parked since they showed up. :scratch:

that runway is only 10k feet, maybe too short to depart ?

those things are ground hogs

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 18:50 

Post Likes: +937
Nooooooo! :bugeye:

Adam, that would make you a gluten for punishment of an unprecedented magnitude.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 19:06 

Post Likes: +3728
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
Nooooooo! :bugeye:

Adam, that would make you a gluten for punishment of an unprecedented magnitude.

Yes, I think I'd stay "gluten-free" in this case. :)

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 19:46 

Post Likes: +2048
Company: Naples Jet Center
Aircraft: EMB500 AC95 AEST
Adam, I’ve recently received a masters degree in ex-Avantair planes and, while I know it’s fun on the internet, i would suggest getting this thing out of your head.

Expensive and usually broken? Is that what happens?

The plane is neat but the performance comes with commensurate expense, no surprise really. But I was referring to Avantair’s bankruptcy and the auctions and court orders that have followed. You could buy a plane free and clear and then later find out that someone else owns the engines and props. It’s the craziest thing I have ever been involved with.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 19:56 

Post Likes: +3685
Aircraft: H35, T-41B, Aircoupe
What they say is the plane made one flight with new interior then the engines were put on another plane now in North Carolina. They are suing for their return. Otherwise they say the plane is intact with zero time props still in the box. Some items may be hitting service and calendar times.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 20:01 

WWW  Profile

I just don't think they were built for hard fractional charter. These are Alfa Romeo's. 1000hrs/year is a bridge too far for these, they're better suited as corporate aircraft doing 500hrs or less per year, probably. But, to be honest, they wouldn't have ordered 57 of them if they didn't think they delivered in some way. It all went %#$@ up in the end, but I think that has little to do with the aircraft, but all about how the company was run.

BTW, the most reliable car I ever was my old FIAT. Go figure.

What they say is the plane made one flight with new interior then the engines were put on another plane now in North Carolina. They are suing for their return. Otherwise they say the plane is intact with zero time props still in the box. Some items may be hitting service and calendar times.

Did you speak to seller?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 00:21 

Post Likes: +149
Aircraft: Dakota
I just don't think they were built for hard fractional charter. These are Alfa Romeo's. 1000hrs/year is a bridge too far for these, they're better suited as corporate aircraft doing 500hrs or less per year, probably. But, to be honest, they wouldn't have ordered 57 of them if they didn't think they delivered in some way. It all went %#$@ up in the end, but I think that has little to do with the aircraft, but all about how the company was run.

Adam, your going to need to turn off your sunshine machine :dancing: :dancing: before you make a huge mistake :sad:

I also just finished up with a customer determined to make the Avanti dream a reality. They may leave aviation forever after dealing with all of the heartache. Someday, when I graduate from therapy I'll share the nightmare with you. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 02:08 

Post Likes: +3198
Aircraft: C55, PC-12
Bill is correct. Ross Aviation hangar. I saw it two weeks ago when I was flying for a sky kids event.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2017, 02:22 

WWW  Profile

For posterity and those interested - aircraft is N106SL, not N107SL.

I wound up speaking to Dave Duncan from Piaggio and he said all the ex-Avantair P180's have a program in place to regain their airworthiness when it has been suspended by the FAA (it's not revoked). It basically involves flying a few engineers from Italy that go through the whole airplane and determine each parts assumed times and replacing the ones where the times can't be determined. Apparently the cost to have this done is $30K (minimum) plus any parts.

Current owner is also paying $2700/month for the hangar of this Avanti, so considering it's been sitting there for at least 4-5 years, that's a lot of money for nothing. I asked if the wings can be removed, and mr Duncan said no, it's not really possible. So whoever gets this airframe is kind of stuck paying $2700/month until it can fly out of there, which might be never. Of course, if they part it out they can just cut them off and truck it away.

Honestly, if the engines weren't so specific to the Avanti, and they were more common, I'd actually consider this project to have some merit. But the -66's are just impossible to find on the used market, so without them, it's a fool's errand. Only 7 of these engines were on the market last year according to Turbine Options and unless you had cores to exchange, you're looking at beacoup money.

BTW, another little tidbit was that the factory is working on extending the airframe hours from 15000 to over 20K hours and are doing comforming stress testing now on some of the oldest airframes. Apparently, the highest time Avanti has about 14500hrs on it.

Last edited on 30 Dec 2017, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2017, 09:57 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Adam,

It would seem that if this airframe has any value, the factory should have appropriate interest.

It appears, that for anyone else, it is a losing and pointless project from the "get go". The airplanes are not rare, irreplaceable, or historic. A turboprop or jet of similar performance can be bought quickly and easily. Even if someone undertook it, what value would they have: little I suspect.

So, to me, the whole idea or "rescuing" this airplane is like :scratch: .

Just my opinion.

jg

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2017, 13:34 

WWW  Profile

JGG, it doesn't make any sense unless you had the engines. Depending on price, it could make sense as a parts plane for someone.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 01:09 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7250
Company: Jet Acquisitions
There were two Avanti's flying here at GTU... but they tried a low ceiling approach last week and now there is one.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 01:25 

WWW  Profile

There were two Avanti's flying here at GTU... but they tried a low ceiling approach last week and now there is one.

Looks like they came in hot and fast and locked breaks up and collapsed gear as they departed runway. Still no Avanti fatalities ever.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next