banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 23:16 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 33  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: My first 60 hours in a CJ2
PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 22:50 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
The procedure is to go to flight idle first to see if the fire goes out. How long to wait is not specified. They recommend 1-2 minutes, which will seem like an eternity while staring at that light.

An engine mounted on a pylon on the tail is pretty safe even if it is on fire. That can burn a very long time and not compromise the ability of the plane to fly. If the engine is still running at idle, then the fire can't be too serious since the engine mechanicals are not compromised.

The pylon has a firewall so the fire is highly unlikely to spread to the fuselage. Even if the engine falls off, the plane can still fly.

Fire detection loops are notorious for false alarms.

I am not aware of any Citation accidents related to engine fire.

As for the fire button shutting stuff off, that is consistent with the Citation design philosophy of helping the pilot even if they do things out of order.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 22:55 

Post Likes: +8022
Aircraft: C-182
The procedure is to go to flight idle first to see if the fire goes out. How long to wait is not specified. They recommend 1-2 minutes, which will seem like an eternity while staring at that light.

An engine mounted on a pylon on the tail is pretty safe even if it is on fire. That can burn a very long time and not compromise the ability of the plane to fly. If the engine is still running at idle, then the fire can't be too serious since the engine mechanicals are not compromised.

The pylon has a firewall so the fire is highly unlikely to spread to the fuselage. Even if the engine falls off, the plane can still fly.

Fire detection loops are notorious for false alarms.

I am not aware of any Citation accidents related to engine fire.

As for the fire button shutting stuff off, that is consistent with the Citation design philosophy of helping the pilot even if they do things out of order.

Mike C.

Those are some good points Mike; the functions of the fire button/fire handle are pretty standard. I realize too that an SP pilot just doesn't have the crew resources to trouble shoot very much, so procedures have to be balanced with that in mind.

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 22:59 

Post Likes: +6448
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
Congrats, Mark. Very cool.

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 23:04 

Post Likes: +2404
Company: retired corporate mostly
Aircraft: 1956 Champion 7EC
First...Congrats on another type Mark!

Quote:
In CJ's both fire bottles can be blown to the same engine if necessary.

Another difference....(makes you wonder how they are the same type)
CJ-4 Only has one bottle...
Different sequence:
Attachment:
IMG_0482.JPG

I flew with a friend in a CJ-3, and decided I would have to go to school for the differences if I ever thought about flying one.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

soloed in a land of Superhomers/1959 Cessna 150, retired with Proline 21/ CJ4.

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 23:17 

Post Likes: +422
Aircraft: 1978 Bonanza A36TN
Late to the party - Congrats Mark!

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 04:45 

Post Likes: +386
Aircraft: Working on it...
Congratulations Mark. What’s this going to do to your signature line? :D

I think I missed something along the way. What airplane are you transitioning to? I thought you were going to an Astra or a Lear?

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 05:24 

Post Likes: +449
Aircraft: CE525,PA31
I am not aware of any Citation accidents related to engine fire

There hasn’t been. I flew with the Cheif pilot of textron on a demo recently and he said there hasn’t been. It’s why the M2, CJ4 etc have had the number of fire bottles reduced from 2 to 1, I assume the 3 has had the same.

Andrew

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 08:43 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10972
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
Congratulations Mark. What’s this going to do to your signature line? :D

I think I missed something along the way. What airplane are you transitioning to? I thought you were going to an Astra or a Lear?

I bought half a CJ2 based out of Scottsdale.

One of the gents I fly contract for (550) sold it and decided on a Lear 45. It didn’t make it out of prebuy. Next he decided on an Astra SPX/G100. I had suggested an Ultra but he was sold on the SPX. Nice plane really. In the end he has a partner who waffled and then it was a Lear 35. Again...didn’t make it out of prebuy. So finally I reached out and inquired as to the current plan...boom...they bought an Ultra. So easier on me. Don’t think I have another type in me for a while.

I did a lease on the Ultra too, A man cannot have too many options. :lol:

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 08:53 

WWW  Profile

I am not aware of any Citation accidents related to engine fire
There hasn’t been.

Which makes one question why there is a fire bottle system at all given the millions of hours of Citation operation.

If you shut off fuel and hydraulics to the engine, the fire will go out at some point.

The fire bottle system is some cost to maintain, some weight, and very costly if you use it when you don't need to or by accident or discharges by fault. In addition, nearly all fire loop indications are false.

The MU2 was originally designed with a fire bottle system, but very early on, that was removed from the design. We still have "fire handles" on the glare shield, but now all they do is serve as the indicator light for the fire loop and they shut off fuel via an electric valve (no hydraulics on an MU2).

The fire loop system has been negative safety on the MU2. I know of only one case of an engine fire, pilot attempting air start of known faulty engine, and in that case, the fire loop didn't provide first indications and the plane landed safely with a toasted engine and some wing damage. I know of one fatal accident where a false fire loop indication was the start of the accident sequence leading the pilot to shut down a perfectly fine engine.

I've wondered if getting an STC to remove the fire bottle system on Citations would be possible based on the field experience.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 11:14 

The fire bottle system is some cost to maintain, some weight, and very costly if you use it when you don't need to or by accident or discharges by fault

It’s a pain to get the bottles tested whatever Doc inspection it is. Just another random one. The DOC inspections are a pain that they don’t all align etc. but that’s another thread....

To accidentally operate you’d have to lift the plastic ENG FIRE cover, hit the button then hit one of the bottle buttons. Be hard to do by accident.

Also it’s Halon so I don’t think you have to clean or do anything,just recharge.

An STC would be a good idea. I just can’t imagine anyone doing it.

Andrew

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 13:38 

WWW  Profile

To accidentally operate you’d have to lift the plastic ENG FIRE cover, hit the button then hit one of the bottle buttons. Be hard to do by accident.

There are plenty of counter examples of guarded systems being activated when they shouldn't be.

But I can see the point.

Still, I suspect there has never been a Citation fire bottle activation which had a meaningful impact on the outcome. Most are probably discharged based on false fire loop indications.

Quote:
Also it’s Halon so I don’t think you have to clean or do anything,just recharge.

Okay. I may have been confusing this with the different system Eclipse had, PhostrEx, which caused corrosion. There was an issue with this that required a reengineered system be installed.

Quote:

On the face of it, seems simple. STC to remove fire bottles based on field experience.

Who knows if it is even possible.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 15:26 

Post Likes: +3026
Aircraft: SR22;CJ2+;C510
FIFY

To accidentally operate you’d have to lift the plastic ENG FIRE cover hit the button, which will shut down an engine :eek: :beechslap:, and still go ahead and accidentally then hit one of the bottle buttons. Be hard to do by accident.

Would those with the halon bottle STC still need to go through engine fires in the sim at the 61.58 checks?

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 15:37 

Post Likes: +886
Aircraft: CJ4, AmphibBeaver
To accidentally operate you’d have to lift the plastic ENG FIRE cover hit the button, which will shut down an engine :eek: :beechslap:, and still go ahead and accidentally then hit one of the bottle buttons. Be hard to do by accident.

Would those with the halon bottle STC still need to go through engine fires in the sim at the 61.58 checks?

I think "yes" because not all will purchase the STC to eliminate.

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 17:09 

Post Likes: +8022
Aircraft: C-182

There are plenty of counter examples of guarded systems being activated when they shouldn't be.

But I can see the point.

Still, I suspect there has never been a Citation fire bottle activation which had a meaningful impact on the outcome. Most are probably discharged based on false fire loop indications.

Quote:

Okay. I may have been confusing this with the different system Eclipse had, PhostrEx, which caused corrosion. There was an issue with this that required a reengineered system be installed.

Quote:

On the face of it, seems simple. STC to remove fire bottles based on field experience.

Who knows if it is even possible.

Mike C.

My carrier removed all of the fire suppression equipment from the lower cargo compartments on the 747 because they were Class D, self - smothering, supposedly. We as pilots were not happy about it, but did manage to head off the company from replacing our pilot seats with milk crates. :eek:

The seats were all electric for positioning and adjusting. When the electric motors failed ($20K each) the seats became manually adjusted.

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 18:24 

[quote="Allen Wolpert"Would those with the halon bottle STC still need to go through engine fires in the sim at the 61.58 checks?[/quote]

Yeah you’d still have to run the drill....

A couple of years ago I was doing a 61.58 and for what ever reason the motor stopped. I said to the instructor I’m not going to bother to restart as they never stop and restart, he said you’ve got to try for check....ok.

Andrew

Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 33  Next