banner
banner

24 Apr 2024, 15:13 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 33  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: My first 60 hours in a CJ2
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 18:37 

Post Likes: +3026
Aircraft: SR22;CJ2+;C510
Username Protected wrote:
180 kts once in terminal environment being vectored around and allows for flaps to APPR, 160 kts on intermediate approach segments, then slow to Vref before FAF.

We normally hit IAF around 200 and put in about 62% power in the II. Gear and flaps down at FAF, but we didn't shoot for Vref until very short final or be there at the end of the runway at 50'. Vref at FAF would make for a pretty slow approach, wouldn't it :scratch:

Yeah, more like Vapp+10 at FAF. Then get to Vref by 1000’ IFR or 500’ AGL VFR.

Shooting for Vref on very short final does not meet a stabilized approach criteria.

I am at Vref +/-5 by 500’ power stabilized.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 18:55 

Post Likes: +2404
Company: retired corporate mostly
Aircraft: 1956 Champion 7EC
Quote:
One "gotcha" I recently experienced was going into DFW. They asked us if we could accept a particular RNAV STAR. We looked it over and said sure! Loaded it and flew it. Most of the waypoints were marked with max altitude and minimum altitude. The FMS loaded the max altitudes.

That is not what I have experienced with ProLine 21. Usually we load the bottom altitude and the VNAV calculates a smooth constant descent that hits between or above/below on its way to the bottom altitude for the arrival.

Could be a weird arrival that Collins handles differently...(?)

soloed in a land of Superhomers/1959 Cessna 150, retired with Proline 21/ CJ4.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 03:17 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10972
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
I flew with john L on a four leg trip a couple weeks ago. If you read this thread you have seen the vids. Great guy, great plane. Fun times. One issue we dealt with was that the 750 and 650 didn’t cross fill as a result of different databases. I told John that we should check it out. So after a tour of his companies new digs....awesomeness...we headed to the hangar to get the GTN’s right. Now me and John aren’t the sharpest tacks in the box...and but we ain’t the dumbest either. We both have this equipment including a FS510. Project started around 1230. John had his iPad with GP and flygarmin.com. First things first. WiFi the iPad to the fs510. We kept getting a message that we couldn’t join the network. Tried everything. Nada. Welp we head upstairs to my office with high speed Internet to load the databases and call Garmin...we use the call back feature. We also update the iPad to latest 11.2 because support had requested I do that the day before. Support Calls back after an hour...then we had to wait 15 minutes (Still shaking out the bugs I suppose). Support guy says it’s a known problem get an MMC reader/writer and reformat the FS510. Hmmm. Off to Best Buy we go. Not Obvious they have one so we snap a couple pix. Email to Trek and lob a call back to support. Trek gets back to us and says we got the right thing. Support calls back and says not so fast....has to say mmc. Lunch over we head to stables...boom. $10. Trek calls...what iOS version? Latest. Hmmm just had a meeting. wifi issues impacting 510 in newest iOS release. . Garmin and Apple been in conference. He sends us roll back procedure. But it can’t be done on my PC/iTunes. Requires Johns iTunes. Different account. F**k. Ok. Well let’s at least download databases and reformat card. Back to my office. Turns out the card blows up windows explorer on two of my PCs. F**k x 3. Lob Call to support. No call back option this time. Yep still buggy. I wait on hold an hour. John updates the 750 on Sam SD card but the 650 shows no subscription. Wtf. John..,did you buy a pilot pak? Yep. Well something ain’t right. Four hours in john has to go do an interview. I have to go pick up a new car. But I stay on the phone. Finally an answer. They think the card reader we bought is bad....hmmm bet it is the fs510. And yep somehow the system didn’t process johns order correctly. So they are sending a new mmc reader/writer (weds arrival. John has Sunday-weds trip). Directed to go buy 8gb San disc to use in a pinch. Plus they give him 3 month extension on SW databases as a courtesy.

Meanwhile Trek Lobs in a Saturday email to see how it ended and decides to send a new FS510 card just in case. Good move

All in 4 hours each for two CEO’s who had better stuff to do. Three hours on phone with support. A temporary solution. Then the task of an iOS roll back. Not to mention time spent by Trek and the aviation support team. Since John and I make pennies on the hour and don’t really value our time...no harm no foul. :liar:

When it works. Stuff da bomb. When it goes bad....the brain damage is bad.

Good news is my new Lexus is technology rich and I have four hours on the horn with their techs cause of their inability to get the enform app working correctly.

I think I am bad karma.

"Jet Elite"

Last edited on 10 Dec 2017, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 04:30 

Post Likes: +449
Aircraft: CE525,PA31
Good news is my new Lexus is technology rich and I have four hours on the horn with their techs cause of their inability to get the enform app working correctly.

You, my friend....need a Tesla.

Life is good :D

Andrew

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 07:34 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55
I it’s truly incredible that we depend on this shite( technology. ) you aren’t the only one with bad karma .

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 08:54 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5543
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
What would be the phraseology to get out of a STAR once you're in it? "Can't comply, need vectors?"

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 10:51 

What would be the phraseology to get out of a STAR once you're in it? "Can't comply, need vectors?"

UNABLE whatever limit on the STAR you can’t make

And let ATC deal with it.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 11:37 

Post Likes: +3198
Aircraft: C55, PC-12
MH was incredibly generous with his time, it was an entire afternoon of chasing the problem. It was nice that Garmin extended my subscription and recognized that these issues weren't just caused by two dummies.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 14:34 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1962
Aircraft: BE-TBD
OK Senor Lockhart ... we need a jet story fix. It's been a while now :bat:

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 19:02 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10972
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
OK Senor Lockhart ... we need a jet story fix. It's been a while now :bat:

30 minutes ago

[youtube]https://youtu.be/EwDQOcZ6flc[/youtube]

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 02:53 

Post Likes: +707
Aircraft: TBM 850
It's frustrating that sometimes this technology can be so difficult to trouble shoot !?! I'm no computer genius but my God.....you would think this would be easier. You get a glitch in the system the"gremlins" own the plane. Back and forth to shop with the same issues. Replace A, B! C same problem. I've been told be my computer geek friends that on a technological computing scale......these aren't that complex. Hell.... I'm lucky I can turn my phone on! But my lord.... if/when things go wonky.....it ain't gonna be an easy fix.
Not cheap either.......

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018, 12:12 

Post Likes: +3198
Aircraft: C55, PC-12
Cool video Mark, thanks for posting! OK Tyler, I'll share an update.

I've got somewhere around 120 hours in it so far. It has given our business an incredible lift, We had a couple of situations that popped up and we took advantage of and these were pivotal for us. I mention this often but I'm an anomaly as a jet owner, most others who own them have considerably more financial resources than I do - I'm using the jet to grow our business and maybe get to the point where these folks are at.

I haven't had any "I learned about flying from that adventures" yet. But I have had a number of times (on a descent) when I've been pretty busy (maybe 80% of my capacity). When approach wants you at a set airspeed "hold 260 or better" (CJ2 limit is 270), there isn't really any "moves" you can make to get extra time other than get taken completely off the arrival. Of course the plan is to never get busy and have everything done ahead of time so I try to do everything as soon as possible. I set vRef speeds as soon as I get up to speed at cruise, I program the approaches before descent, I listen to ATIS as soon as I can hear it. But sometimes those plans go to hell and ATC changes horses on you. The CJ is not quite fast enough to fly the typical speeds that airlines can hold on a STAR, so I've been on a descend via star and had it changed in the middle (I warned them way ahead of time I couldn't hold 280) and then put on another descend via star and setup for a different approach at the airport - this is a lot of F'n button pushing for one guy! This hasn't been a problem and I'm absolutely willing to "confess" if I get behind but it is a difference from the KA. In a turbo prop, they don't generally try and fit you onto a jet arrival, you don't get put into the flow until you are down low on an approach. Most all of the other jets have two pilots so the workload that ATC gives you has been set by what two pilots can handle. I do have one "move" I've made a few times to gain a little time - I have two completely different FMS's, I have the UNS and two Garmin's (a 750 and a 650). I program both of them and display the UNS (#1) on my MFD and the Garmin on the center display. I haven't quite figured out how to reliably change multi-step crossing altitudes in the UNS for a vertical profile (no problem programming it the first time, its the changes that I can't always get it to take), so sometimes I just drop back to the single point vertical nav in the Garmin (in this case I lose my magenta snowflake).

Heading down is about the only time I've been challenged in the CJ. Its quite easy to fly, I've flown approaches in shitty WX, I've had a number of icing encounters and none of these have been busy times in the cockpit or have gotten my heart rate up.

I did have a interesting day flight last week going into APA. I had a buddy with me (ex airline and CJ rated) and he was flying from the right seat. Winds at APA were gusting to 46 so they put us on 28 (it was pretty much aligned with the wind) and Bill did a great job putting it in the slot and holding speed (ref + half the gust factor). But he plunked it on and bounced and just then a gust kicked up and we were maybe 15-20' above the 4000' runway . Bill pushed in a little power and started setting up to land from this point. I was calm about it but said "I think we'll go around" as I came from behind the throttles and pushed them up, and grabbed the flaps and said "ready for flaps 15?". No problem for there, we came around and landed. Bill felt bad because he knew the runway was too short for this but he was fully loaded - I bet he would have gone around once he realized how little runway he had left but I wasn't planning to wait to find out.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018, 13:09 

Quote:
I haven't quite figured out how to reliably change multi-step crossing altitudes in the UNS for a vertical profile (no problem programming it the first time, its the changes that I can't always get it to take),

VNAV is not a strength of the UNS and it’s VNAV is simplistic.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018, 17:29 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1962
Aircraft: BE-TBD
nice update :cheers:
it's great to hear the details of getting cozy with jet ownership...i'm a long way from it but it is a goal nonetheless, so really appreciate your contributions (as well as Mark's and other light jet owners/pilots here on BT).

I just wish there was a Mark or John equivalent in Houston. I would be a eager bag carrier and FMS typist.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018, 18:25 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5543
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
Having flown like a whopping 2 STAR's in my entire life and clueless about jet operations in general, it seems like the FMS is the bottleneck when it gets really busy. John, do you ever just click off the autopilot and just fly the arrival manually? It seems to me like that would eliminate some of the stress (but as I said, I have no experience with high speed stuff).

Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 33  Next