banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 17:24 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Lowest cost reliable Turboprop?
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 13:41 

Post Likes: +926
Aircraft: Aero Commander 980
Quote:
. You can't get an airplane to 200 ft AGL in a Vmc roll. That occurred only after the inexperienced pilot pulled up at 200 ft AGL trying to falsely increase climb rat

You know better than make a silly statement like that! He lost speed during his climb then it rolled. He was not climbing in a VMC roll?

Quote:
. Most planes increase in drag with gear retraction. Commanders are among those that do (main wheels twist). The penalty is often a lot smaller than most realize.

It’s not the gear twisting that causes the majority of the drag it’s the of the gear doors.

I will video my gear coming up next time so you can see the Commander retraction sequence. You can feel the drag decreasing almost immediately upon selection of gear up.

Quote:
.Keep the pilot and provide him a Commander with the same engine failure on takeoff roll, I believe this accident still occurs.

Let’s dont forget they actually flew a Commander from Oklahoma to DC with an engine removed and placed in the cabin. That’s a single engine take off!

My opinion even this pilot could have flown a Commander out of it. It’s a very forgiving airplane.

Quote:
.I'd be happy, however, if you convince the bone head pilots to buy Commanders instead of MU2s. I never want to own a plane where others think they can be lesser pilots to fly it and be safe.

Replace boneheaded with conservative and I would agree.

I just don’t believe I will be on my A game when something happens.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 13:52 

Post Likes: +4417
Aircraft: 1967 Baron B55
Steve, a minor correction. They removed the prop , not the engine and placed the prop in the cabin.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 14:02 

Thanks for keeping me honest.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 14:39 

Post Likes: +21337
Company: Real Estate development
Aircraft: In between
Interesting, we have five absolute abort items we brief before taking the runway (before V1 in the jet, but in the King Air, prior to lift off at 98 knots):
Engine failure.
Engine or other fire.
Runway encroachment.
Lack of directional control.
TR deployment (in the Citation).

Then, if an annunciator lights that is critical. Fuel Pressure or Oil pressure would be one of those.

Sounds like this gentlemen departed with an engine malfunctioning. Wonder if he did a pre-departure brief or was just overwhelmed.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 14:41 

Post Likes: +21337
Company: Real Estate development
Aircraft: In between
I'm scratching my head about engine failures on takeoff occurring more often. How does the engine know? I usually have power set pretty early on the runway and don't change that power until 400 AGL. I don't see why a failure would be more likely to occur here, but I'm always leaning.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 15:19 

Post Likes: +5226
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
Username Protected wrote:
How does the engine know?

Same way the Thermos does

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 17:40 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Steve, a minor correction. They removed the prop , not the engine and placed the prop in the cabin.

And it was a much lighter piston version.

It was noted as being "unprecedented". There's no question the Commander emphasized engine out performance over other parameters. There are always negatives to any optimization and structural margins was one of them.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 17:45 

Post Likes: +4417
Aircraft: 1967 Baron B55
Years ago piper also removed a prop on an Apache and flew it cross country.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 18:00 

And it was a much lighter piston version.

It was noted as being "unprecedented". There's no question the Commander emphasized engine out performance over other parameters. There are always negatives to any optimization and structural margins was one of them.

Mike C.

It was a underpowered by today’s standard which makes those accomplishments that much more impressive. Less horsepower to weight than a turbine commander or a MU2.

Still got airbourne and was able to fly away.

The worst turbulence I have ever experienced was in a Commander. The only thing I could do was stare at the yoke and promise myself I would not move it. I could feel my eyeballs actually straining to remain in their sockets. No way I could focus on the instruments.

It lasted about 30 seconds. Once I was through it the controller asked me what it was like! I had no weather radar and it’s was night but he must have seen it, it was convective. I was pissed at controllers for awhile after that.

Young and dumb! But I have liked the Commanders since that experience.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 18:11 

WWW  Profile

He lost speed during his climb then it rolled. He was not climbing in a VMC roll?

Steve,

There is this thing called "math", we engineers use it all the time.

You simply can't get to 200 AGL if the plane doesn't have POSITIVE climb capability at STEADY (non slowing) speed. There simply isn't enough energy stored in the forward speed to trade it for 200 ft AGL altitude from liftoff.

10,000 lbs plane at 200 ft AGL is 2,000,000 ft lbs of potential energy.

10,000 lbs plane at 105 knots Vr is 4,864,000 fl lbs of energy.

10,000 lbs plane at 93 knots Vmc is 3,827,000 fl lbs of energy.

Trading speed to get energy only yields about 1,000,000 fl lbs of energy you can use.

The speed loss is thus only about half the energy you need to get to 200 ft AGL, and that does not count the drag which is eating energy all the time. It would be safe to assume he needed 4 times the energy he got from speed loss to make it to 200 ft AGL.

The fact he got to 200 ft AGL means the plane had positive climb gradient even if he held speed. He could not have reach 200 ft AGL based solely on trading speed to altitude. It was after he reached 200 ft AGL and pulled up that Vmc started.

[If you are in cruise, you have a LOT more energy in airspeed and can trade that for quite a lot of altitude, but that isn't the case just after takeoff.]

One can develop even more detailed models using performance data from the AFM, effectively measuring the drag so we know how much total energy was really required.

Quote:
It’s not the gear twisting that causes the majority of the drag it’s the of the gear doors.

The MU2 gear doors do not appreciable increase drag during retraction. The 10 ft altitude loss comes almost entirely from the main wheels turning sideways similarly to the Commander.

Quote:
I will video my gear coming up next time so you can see the Commander retraction sequence. You can feel the drag decreasing almost immediately upon selection of gear up.

You are feeling the release of force on the gear down locks which provides a momentary short burst of forward acceleration. The gear drag does increase slightly as it comes up, however, but it isn't so sharp that you can sense it so easily.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvHNavJNjTs

If you stop the gear half way, it would be some drag increase.

Quote:
My opinion even this pilot could have flown a Commander out of it. It’s a very forgiving airplane.

Absolutely. Any pilot COULD have flown out of this.

This pilot didn't. I don't think the choice of airplane was meaningfully influential to the outcome.

Quote:
I just don’t believe I will be on my A game when something happens.

Then you should not fly if you can't be ready.

The VAST majority of fatal accidents have nothing to do with the engines. Thus you are at a serious disadvantage if you only bring your B game to an A game situation.

There is nothing more dangerous in aviation than believing an airplane is safe enough to fly not at your best.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 18:18 

WWW  Profile

Years ago piper also removed a prop on an Apache and flew it cross country.

I'm sure I could do that with an MU2 as well. The book says I have positive gradient in takeoff configuration (gear down, flaps 20) at gross weight. Find a nice long runway, accelerate to well above Vmc, liftoff, gear up in ground effect, fly away. I've demonstrated positive climb in takeoff configuration in the air.

I'm not going to do it, of course, but the data says it will work.

The Commander would do it more easily. Large light wing loading helps.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 18:44 

Quote:
.Then you should not fly if you can't be ready.

The VAST majority of fatal accidents have nothing to do with the engines. Thus you are at a serious disadvantage if you only bring your B game to an A game situation.

I my experienced, your A game can disappeared quickly!

Even when things get handled satisfactory I have thought about what I did not do properly for weeks following the event.

It’s never like a scripted simulator scenario.

Never did like math!

Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30