Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: CJ2 report - first 18 hours
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 10:25 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8426
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Username Protected wrote:
Time is the new luxury. Airplanes are time machines.

One of the new owners of a HondaJet articulates the business and time advantage really well in this clip at 1:52. Kinda sums it up.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/SlOylK9fiv4[/youtube]

Adam,

The video makes a great point about time. But it isn't necessarily a new luxury (although it can be). For the entrepreneur time, like confidence, are the great off balance sheet assets. When you run out of it your time becomes incredibly valuable. Saving time, or creating more productive time, is the number one reason I own my aircraft. Sometimes the trip taken in the TBM isn't hugely faster than flying commercially, but the couple of hours it does save create time leverage. Leveraging time can have the same multiplier impact that leveraging money can.

The other benefit of flying privately for the entrepreneur pilot though is the pleasure of flying. There is a time overhead for training and planning which taken against the time saved by flying may wipe out the advantage (in other words to really max out time savings flying privately you probably need a pro pilot so you can skip the training, planning and management time overhead like the guy in the video) but I think it's important to factor back into the equation passion and pleasure. For me flying is both and it's a free time activity even when flying on business because I can never get enough of it.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 10:30 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +787
Company: Wings Insurance
Aircraft: 2016 Cirrus SR22 G5
Great photos John! Especially the one of you and Kenny with the airplane. Love it :cheers:

E-mail: thauge@wingsinsurance.com

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 10:40 

Post Likes: +2215
Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
Time is the new luxury. Airplanes are time machines.

One of the new owners of a HondaJet articulates the business and time advantage really well in this clip at 1:52. Kinda sums it up.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/SlOylK9fiv4[/youtube]

Adam,

The video makes a great point about time. But it isn't necessarily a new luxury (although it can be). For the entrepreneur time, like confidence, are the great off balance sheet assets. When you run out of it your time becomes incredibly valuable. Saving time, or creating more productive time, is the number one reason I own my aircraft. Sometimes the trip taken in the TBM isn't hugely faster than flying commercially, but the couple of hours it does save create time leverage. Leveraging time can have the same multiplier impact that leveraging money can.

The other benefit of flying privately for the entrepreneur pilot though is the pleasure of flying. There is a time overhead for training and planning which taken against the time saved by flying may wipe out the advantage (in other words to really max out time savings flying privately you probably need a pro pilot so you can skip the training, planning and management time overhead like the guy in the video) but I think it's important to factor back into the equation passion and pleasure. For me flying is both and it's a free time activity even when flying on business because I can never get enough of it.

I couldn't have said it better Tony. Very good post. I would add that not only does flying your own aircraft for business save time but it provides unparalleled flexibility. In a single month I may have two or three occasions where within a matter of hours the need arises to travel somewhere for a meeting, a project visit or for some other business driven reason. Often, being able to coordinate travel through some other means would be a non-starter - I would have had to work around airline schedules, over booked flights or lack of travel options.

Your last point, the pleasure of flying, is the icing on the cake - flying nourishes the soul after a hard day of work.

John - beautiful airplane. Hope to see it in person sometime soon.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 10:50 

Post Likes: +3198
Aircraft: C55, PC-12
John,

Congratulations on the new plane! Now that you have even more capability will you always be the pilot or have others fly sometimes so that employees can move around the country faster without requiring you to be there?

I find that we can get to prospective opportunities very quickly with the plane which is the key not the cost. I can justify the expense of plane and pilot for trips with one or two employees on a cost trading basis some of the time. But when factoring in the opportunity the cost shrinks enormously. The problem is, that even though I'd love to be the company's pilot other time demands make that impossible. Love to hear your experience.

Thanks Tony! Being the company pilot sounds fun but you are right, I won't likely have enough time to do that so I'll hire another pilot.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 10:51 

Hi John,

Great to see you enjoying the plane, looks great. Do you not use engine sync?

Andrew

I do, I keep it on fan but maybe it isn't working right??

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 11:08 

WWW  Profile

I would add that not only does flying your own aircraft for business save time but it provides unparalleled flexibility. In a single month I may have two or three occasions where within a matter of hours the need arises to travel somewhere for a meeting, a project visit or for some other business driven reason. Often, being able to coordinate travel through some other means would be a non-starter - I would have had to work around airline schedules, over booked flights or lack of travel options.

Excellent point Alex! Perhaps the best time saver of all!

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 11:15 

WWW  Profile

Being the company pilot sounds fun but you are right, I won't likely have enough time to do that so I'll hire another pilot.

I'd be curious to learn how others do this. I've been using several pro pilots on a per diem basis for $500/day plus expenses for several years. This has worked fine so far but to use the plane even more having a pilot employee would create even more flexibility but at a potentially higher cost. Where is the break even in terms of utility (not expense)?

I'm only using a pro pilot about 15 times a year. But if I had an employee I would be tempted to have the plane flown a lot more. Jason has well made the point many times that the first hour each year is the expensive one and after that it gets cheaper and cheaper.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 11:31 

John - beautiful airplane. Hope to see it in person sometime soon.

Alex, I'd love to come down and visit sometime! Maybe a surfing trip with Mr Penman?

Towards your point, I just finished a trip where we were able to create a big (positive) paradigm shift with a new strategic customer and (in addition) get them to accept a delay. To do this we had to attend two meetings in different places within a short timeframe. As soon as we finished these meetings, we headed off to another customer site to be there the morning they lost some features in our service that they really enjoyed - I like to be there in person when bad news comes down (in this case we didn't cause it) - we shared some news about upcoming features and created some love then we raced off to San Diego to drop off a key employee that I needed for 2 of these meetings (he scheduled Friday off and I needed him so I offered to drop him off where he would have spent Friday driving to), I also arranged to see a customer in San Diego while there (I was pushing things a bit by scheduling a Friday afternoon meeting and of course we had big headwinds so I was sitting there on the flight wishing I could go even faster (it never ends....)).

This was a perfect trip to justify an airplane. We finished the week with big wins and those wins wouldn't have been possible without private aviation!

I also need to thank BT for this. Without this forum I wouldn't have met the other entrepreneurs in my same position that are doing this. I don't know if I'd have had the guts to buy an airplane like this without this influence.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 13:40 

Post Likes: +21339
Company: Real Estate development
Aircraft: In between
Wonderful to hear how well this is working out for you John. Hope it continues to pay personal benefits and business dividends!

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 15:54 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55
John,

Congratulations on the new plane! Now that you have even more capability will you always be the pilot or have others fly sometimes so that employees can move around the country faster without requiring you to be there?

I find that we can get to prospective opportunities very quickly with the plane which is the key not the cost. I can justify the expense of plane and pilot for trips with one or two employees on a cost trading basis some of the time. But when factoring in the opportunity the cost shrinks enormously. The problem is, that even though I'd love to be the company's pilot other time demands make that impossible. Love to hear your experience.

Good point Tony. I certainly intend to incorporate the use of a private pilot that can deliver team members when it behooves me to be somewhere else.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 17:04 

Post Likes: +3026
Aircraft: SR22;CJ2+;C510
A few pictures...

John, run your TCAS in ABOVE/BELOW. You have it set to ABOVE. That does not do anything for you at 450. If you need to do an emergency descent from 450 you want to see traffic below beyond 3000’.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 17:16 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10972
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
A few pictures...

John, run your TCAS in ABOVE/BELOW. You have it set to ABOVE. That does not do anything for you at 450. If you need to do an emergency descent from 450 you want to see traffic below beyond 3000’.

John...these Beech Bros miss nothing. Ask me how I know. :oops:
"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 17:22 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10972
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C510,C185,C310,R66
John,

Thanks Tony! Being the company pilot sounds fun but you are right, I won't likely have enough time to do that so I'll hire another pilot.

Problem solved.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

"Jet Elite"

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 17:26 

Post Likes: +401
Aircraft: Baron 58P
A few pictures...

John,

Awesome looking plane :thumbup: :thumbup: Wishing you many hours of safe flight and productive business ventures!!!

:cheers:

Matt

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 17:42 

Post Likes: +3026
Aircraft: SR22;CJ2+;C510

John...these Beech Bros miss nothing. Ask me how I know. :oops:

I could have suggested John push the left power up by .6 and get another knot or two of speed.

But no one is judging here. :whistle:

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next