Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Ferrying c t206h Waco Tx to Tracy CA
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 16:04 

Post Likes: +58
Aircraft: C T206 RP-C1100
Username Protected wrote:
Manalito,

Lovely airplane, needs just a bit more glass on the panel.

The 206H has been saddled with two painful AD's one on the injector lines, that allows zero damage of any kind and the lines will be changed often.

There is also a 25 inspection AD on the exhaust system, Cessna insisted on an icoel system from Lycoming, iconel is too ridged, is prone to cracking and so ridged it is causing the system to pull the exhaust studs out of the cylinders. Textron has introduced a new exhaust system fabricated of stainless steel, it's pricing suggests Lycoming wants the old systems out of service. The exhaust kit number is 05J28883, the cost is around $6500 complete. On the old system the individual sections about eight pieces ran $2000-$3000 each. As of Friday Lycoming had eight systems in stock. Well wort it to get rid of this AD inspection.

I've had two T206H's. I've never replaced injection lines. I had them inspected with a oil change and my shop at least did that for free.

I've also never put an exhaust component on one, but given the typical parts prices that does sound like a good deal. I wonder if the way they are operated has anything to do with the cracking?

Although an expensive motor leaving a 12K DA airport and effortlessly climbing straight into the low 20's with full fuel +4 people and heavy baggage puts you in a rare area of capability for a single.

Alex, I'm lost with you too. I don't get what you're pointing at. Is the particular aircraft (N542MC) bad?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 19:01 

Post Likes: +1896
Company: Corporate Air Technology
Aircraft: Pa28-235
Manolito,

It is very unlikely you have the new system installed as it has only been available for a few weeks. I must assume you have had some type of pre-purchase inspection completed that would cover the compliance with applicable AD's (mandatory airworthiness directives). A listing of these directives would be supplied as part of this inspection.

The Cessna 206H is a very impressive airplane with few peers, short of a turbo prop single. Parts are getting expensive on these airplanes, I would make sure the fuel quantity system is working without glitches, the probes may be digital CANBUS type, the probes can run 4K for the set and calibration requires draining the tanks and filling one gallon at a time during calibration.

I have been a huge Lycoming fan, very reliable power plants, not quite or smother an efficient as the Continental 520/550 but they have had a good reputation as being bullet proof in many aircraft. The Piper Mirage and Cessna 206H push these engines harder than other installations, they have not been quite as reliable in these two installations as they are pushing these engines about as hard as they can to make the airplane do what it does. What it does is impressive, not always cheap.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 21:50 

Post Likes: +602
Company: Docking Drawer
Aircraft: C425
I operated a twin commander with TIO-540's for 15 years and the injection line AD is no big deal. It takes maybe 15 minutes to accomplish as long as there are no problems and I never had one. The exhaust system on the other hand is a different story. My exhaust system was totally different and it wasn't made by Lycoming but in general exhausts on turbo charged engines require significant care. They should be inspected carefully and regularly, AD or not. If Lycoming is offering a replacement for the whole thing at $6500 I would jump on that. If you haven't already done the pre purchase I would tell the shop to pay extra special attention to the exhaust. There is probably a crack somewhere and you can use that as credit toward buying the improved version. I'll say it one more time. Just because there is no AD doesn't mean you don't have to regularly inspect the exhaust on any turbocharged piston engine. Doing it at 25 hour intervals with the oil change is a great idea. I had 2 in flight shut downs as a result of exhaust related problems on my TIO-540s. Both of them involved massive exhaust leaks that would have caused a fire had I not shut down. If you visually inspect (with a mirror and flashlight) every 25 hours and then pressure test at annual you should be fine. You will occasionally replace an exhaust part here and there but the engine won't catch fire which is always a plus.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 21:57 

Post Likes: +4137

Alex, I'm lost with you too. I don't get what you're pointing at. Is the particular aircraft (N542MC) bad?

No I am not suggesting your aircraft is bad at all. I am saying that I have owned two T206H's and I loved both of them. I had normal problems that seem to happen with almost any aircraft (at least the ones I've been involved with) and the AD's mentioned were not a big deal in my experience. I'm sure you will enjoy your new airplane very much.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 00:23 

Post Likes: +191
Are you taking it to Skyview?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 06:41 

Manolito,

It is very unlikely you have the new system installed as it has only been available for a few weeks. I must assume you have had some type of pre-purchase inspection completed that would cover the compliance with applicable AD's (mandatory airworthiness directives). A listing of these directives would be supplied as part of this inspection.

The Cessna 206H is a very impressive airplane with few peers, short of a turbo prop single. Parts are getting expensive on these airplanes, I would make sure the fuel quantity system is working without glitches, the probes may be digital CANBUS type, the probes can run 4K for the set and calibration requires draining the tanks and filling one gallon at a time during calibration.

I have been a huge Lycoming fan, very reliable power plants, not quite or smother an efficient as the Continental 520/550 but they have had a good reputation as being bullet proof in many

aircraft. The Piper Mirage and Cessna 206H push these engines harder than other installations, they have not been quite as reliable in these two installations as they are pushing these engines about as hard as they can to make the airplane do what it does. What it does is impressive, not always cheap.

Thank you for your heads up Steve. I had someone do a pre buy inspection and the only comment he gave me was that one cylinder was a bit low on compression around 65 I think.
All others he said checked out. He said the plane is in "like new condition" aside from the 1,700 hours it has.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 06:44 

I operated a twin commander with TIO-540's for 15 years and the injection line AD is no big deal. It takes maybe 15 minutes to accomplish as long as there are no problems and I never had one. The exhaust system on the other hand is a different story. My exhaust system was totally different and it wasn't made by Lycoming but in general exhausts on turbo charged engines require significant care. They should be inspected carefully and regularly, AD or not. If Lycoming is offering a replacement for the whole thing at $6500 I would jump on that. If you haven't already done the pre purchase I would tell the shop to pay extra special attention to the exhaust. There is probably a crack somewhere and you can use that as credit toward buying the improved version. I'll say it one more time. Just because there is no AD doesn't mean you don't have to regularly inspect the exhaust on any turbocharged piston engine. Doing it at 25 hour intervals with the oil change is a great idea. I had 2 in flight shut downs as a result of exhaust related problems on my TIO-540s. Both of them involved massive exhaust leaks that would have caused a fire had I not shut down. If you visually inspect (with a mirror and flashlight) every 25 hours and then pressure test at annual you should be fine. You will occasionally replace an exhaust part here and there but the engine won't catch fire which is always a plus.

Thank you Scott. I will email the guy who did the pre buy inspect and raise these issues that you guys have been mentioning. I really appreciate all these advises from you folks as i am very new to air planes. Better safe than sorry, as they say.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 06:45 

No I am not suggesting your aircraft is bad at all. I am saying that I have owned two T206H's and I loved both of them. I had normal problems that seem to happen with almost any aircraft (at least the ones I've been involved with) and the AD's mentioned were not a big deal in my experience. I'm sure you will enjoy your new airplane very much.

Ok Alex, now I get it, thanks again

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 06:47 

Hi Mikko, I will have to ask my broker. I don't know yet at this time which shop we are taking it to in Tracy.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 07:26 

These are what were entered in the logs guys. I don't really understand most of them really. But it seems the exhaust has been checked during the last annual in February this year.
Please help me out if you could. Thanks in advanced guys.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 08:28 

Post Likes: +4137
These are what were entered in the logs guys. I don't really understand most of them really. But it seems the exhaust has been checked during the last annual in February this year.
Please help me out if you could. Thanks in advanced guys.

Really just normal log book entries for an annual (also called 100 hour inspection). Both the inspections we have been discussing (injection lines and exhaust) were checked with no problems.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 08:32 

Thank you again Alex

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 08:46 

Yes Mikko were taking her to Skyview avation.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 10:49 

Post Likes: +117
Aircraft: CE-525
Has the airplane been updated to WAAS? Extremely expensive SB but opens up a lot more approaches; come 2020 it'll either need the WAAS and ADS-B SBs done or a GTX-335/345 transponder upgrade.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 12:53 

Post Likes: +1896
Company: Corporate Air Technology
Aircraft: Pa28-235
Manolito,

It looks like the exhaust inspection was completed at the annual but signed off by a different individual than that the signed off the annual. The annual entry notes the #1 cylinder had compression of 60/80, that is absolute minimum compression on a Lycoming engine. Expect cylinder work on that one soon, always something that could open more exposure to more cost on an engine within 300 hours of recommended TBO. I likely woud have pushed them to replace that cylinder prior to the purchase.

As you are going to Skyview, I trust you are having them containerize or install a ferry fuel system for export. This raises the question, are you leaving the aircraft in US registry? If not you will need an export C of A ( Cirtificate of Airwortiness ) this will require an annual inspection within the prior 30 days of its issuance. Being 7 months since the annual a pre- purchase including a fresh inspection by a third party shop would be prudent putting the seller on the hook for airworthiness repairs found needed. It would also make export easier if that is your plan.

Great folks at Skyview, sent a crew there two weeks ago to remove an engine from a Citation for a customer who was having them ship the aircraft to New Zeland.

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next