Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Ferrying c t206h Waco Tx to Tracy CA
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 01:26 

Post Likes: +58
Aircraft: C T206 RP-C1100
Username Protected wrote:
Has the airplane been updated to WAAS? Extremely expensive SB but opens up a lot more approaches; come 2020 it'll either need the WAAS and ADS-B SBs done or a GTX-335/345 transponder upgrade.

Hi David, in the Philippines there are only 4 airports that support WAAS, im not sure if CAAP will follow the FAA regulations for 2020.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 01:34 

Manolito,

It looks like the exhaust inspection was completed at the annual but signed off by a different individual than that the signed off the annual. The annual entry notes the #1 cylinder had compression of 60/80, that is absolute minimum compression on a Lycoming engine. Expect cylinder work on that one soon, always something that could open more exposure to more cost on an engine within 300 hours of recommended TBO. I likely woud have pushed them to replace that cylinder prior to the purchase.

As you are going to Skyview, I trust you are having them containerize or install a ferry fuel system for export. This raises the question, are you leaving the aircraft in US registry? If not you will need an export C of A ( Cirtificate of Airwortiness ) this will require an annual inspection within the prior 30 days of its issuance. Being 7 months since the annual a pre- purchase including a fresh inspection by a third party shop would be prudent putting the seller on the hook for airworthiness repairs found needed. It would also make export easier if that is your plan.

Great folks at Skyview, sent a crew there two weeks ago to remove an engine from a Citation for a customer who was having them ship the aircraft to New Zeland.

Thanks again Steve. Were having the plane containerized at Skyview. The plane has to be de registered from the us and well also need that certificate of air worthiness to re register it in the Philippines. I really wanted to ferry it by flight to the Ph, however cost wise would quadruple. It would have been a great adventure to have done it.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 01:36 

Manolito,

It looks like the exhaust inspection was completed at the annual but signed off by a different individual than that the signed off the annual. The annual entry notes the #1 cylinder had compression of 60/80, that is absolute minimum compression on a Lycoming engine. Expect cylinder work on that one soon, always something that could open more exposure to more cost on an engine within 300 hours of recommended TBO. I likely woud have pushed them to replace that cylinder prior to the purchase.

As you are going to Skyview, I trust you are having them containerize or install a ferry fuel system for export. This raises the question, are you leaving the aircraft in US registry? If not you will need an export C of A ( Cirtificate of Airwortiness ) this will require an annual inspection within the prior 30 days of its issuance. Being 7 months since the annual a pre- purchase including a fresh inspection by a third party shop would be prudent putting the seller on the hook for airworthiness repairs found needed. It would also make export easier if that is your plan.

Great folks at Skyview, sent a crew there two weeks ago to remove an engine from a Citation for a customer who was having them ship the aircraft to New Zeland.

Thanks again Steve. Were having the plane containerized at Skyview. The plane has to be de registered from the us and well also need that certificate of air worthiness to re register it in the Philippines. I really wanted to ferry it by flight to the Ph, however cost wise would quadruple. It would have been a great adventure to have done it.

Oh BTW Steve, Im having that cylinder replaced just to be sure. But the work will be done when the plane gets to the PH.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 07:58 

Post Likes: +4137
[quote="Manolito Lopez]
Oh BTW Steve, Im having that cylinder replaced just to be sure. But the work will be done when the plane gets to the PH.[/quote]

The cylinders on an TIO-540-AJ1A are unique to the 206 and expensive since Lycoming is your only source. You might consider calling Air Power (Van Bortel Aircraft in Arlington, TX) and have them ship you a cylinder assembly since they are by far the cheapest source of factory parts in my experience. Then just put it in the shipping container along with your aircraft so you'll have it when you get there.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 09:33 

[quote="Manolito Lopez]
Oh BTW Steve, Im having that cylinder replaced just to be sure. But the work will be done when the plane gets to the PH.[/quote]

The cylinders on an TIO-540-AJ1A are unique to the 206 and expensive since Lycoming is your only source. You might consider calling Air Power (Van Bortel Aircraft in Arlington, TX) and have them ship you a cylinder assembly since they are by far the cheapest source of factory parts in my experience. Then just put it in the shipping container along with your aircraft so you'll have it when you get there.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip Alex.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 11:15 

Post Likes: +258
Aircraft: Cessna T206H
In 350 hours of ownership I've replaced two exhaust studs and two clamps on my '99 T206. One jug had to be pulled and sent to the machine shop for the broken stud to be removed. Not cheap.
The first stud was missed on prebuy so double check them!
I check them VERY frequently!
Didn't know there was a new exhaust option. Thanks for the info Steve.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 11:25 

Post Likes: +878
Aircraft: C 150
You mentioned the need for a short term insurance policy on the plane.

One thing that I thought of would be to have the seller not cancel their policy till the plane has been moved.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 14:07 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +787
Company: Wings Insurance
Aircraft: 2016 Cirrus SR22 G5

One thing that I thought of would be to have the seller not cancel their policy till the plane has been moved.

Tom-
The seller has no insurable interest in the aircraft after the sales closes. Further the seller would be exposing himself to potential liability keeping insurance on an aircraft should something happen on the post closing flight. I know I wouldn't take that risk - but mainly no insurable interest exists for the seller after the sale.

The best option is to take out an annual policy and cancel it - knowing of course what the penalty might be when you go to cancel coverages.

E-mail: thauge@wingsinsurance.com

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 20:36 

Post Likes: +1896
Company: Corporate Air Technology
Aircraft: Pa28-235
In 350 hours of ownership I've replaced two exhaust studs and two clamps on my '99 T206. One jug had to be pulled and sent to the machine shop for the broken stud to be removed. Not cheap.

Scott,

We have one of these exhaust kits on order through Aviall, on an AOG basis for a customer that fly's nearly forty hours a week. An aircraft on the ground makes him no money.
Lycoming is horrific on AOG orders, we approved a $250 AOG fee with Aviall and another $300 AOG fee to Lycoming, submitted the order Last Friday and still have no detail as when the unit will ship. We purchased a replacement riser and will get the aircraft back in the air for now.

We order parts from all General Aviation companies most do very well at getting orders out the door. Continental and Lycoming are the worst.

Scott, FYI I did try Cessna/Textron on this kit. They had no inventory but did quote it at $7154 with our discount. This is nearly $2k above my cost through Lycoming distribution.
If you have a 206H I would get one of these on order before they jack the price up.
The kit I ordered 05J28883 is drilled for six EGT probes, the part number for the undrilled stacks is 05J28882. As of last Friday Lycoming had no stock on undrilled systems.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 00:40 

Oh that's too bad to hear Scott. How many hours total do you have on your engine? What's your average cruise speed at what rpm? How's the gas consumption too? Thanks.

Lit

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 00:41 

Hi Tom, I did ask the owner about that but he refuses to take any responsibility after the sale.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 00:43 

Tom-
The seller has no insurable interest in the aircraft after the sales closes. Further the seller would be exposing himself to potential liability keeping insurance on an aircraft should something happen on the post closing flight. I know I wouldn't take that risk - but mainly no insurable interest exists for the seller after the sale.

The best option is to take out an annual policy and cancel it - knowing of course what the penalty might be when you go to cancel coverages.

That's what I will do Tom H. Thanks

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 00:48 

Scott,

We have one of these exhaust kits on order through Aviall, on an AOG basis for a customer that fly's nearly forty hours a week. An aircraft on the ground makes him no money.
Lycoming is horrific on AOG orders, we approved a $250 AOG fee with Aviall and another $300 AOG fee to Lycoming, submitted the order Last Friday and still have no detail as when the unit will ship. We purchased a replacement riser and will get the aircraft back in the air for now.

We order parts from all General Aviation companies most do very well at getting orders out the door. Continental and Lycoming are the worst.

Scott, FYI I did try Cessna/Textron on this kit. They had no inventory but did quote it at $7154 with our discount. This is nearly $2k above my cost through Lycoming distribution.
If you have a 206H I would get one of these on order before they jack the price up.
The kit I ordered 05J28883 is drilled for six EGT probes, the part number for the undrilled stacks is 05J28882. As of last Friday Lycoming had no stock on undrilled systems.

Steve, whats the difference between drilled and undrilled? Where can i order this? Aviall only?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 01:23 

Post Likes: +1896
Company: Corporate Air Technology
Aircraft: Pa28-235
The drilled system is for the Garmin equipped a/c with multi probe engine analyzer, most all 206H airplanes have some sort of analyzer installed and the drilled pipes should work for them as well.

Aviall is the largest Lycoming distributor, Van Bortel / Air Power is another option, if you go to Lycomings web site there is a link to there distributors.

Manalito, Aviall is world wide and may offer some advantage for you in your country.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 03:34 

The drilled system is for the Garmin equipped a/c with multi probe engine analyzer, most all 206H airplanes have some sort of analyzer installed and the drilled pipes should work for them as well.

Aviall is the largest Lycoming distributor, Van Bortel / Air Power is another option, if you go to Lycomings web site there is a link to there distributors.

Manalito, Aviall is world wide and may offer some advantage for you in your country.

Thanks again Steve. Do you recommend that i swap the exhaust at this point already?

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next