banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 10:03 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Rans S-7s Courier; Anyone have experience or opinions?
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2022, 12:21 

Post Likes: +6942
Aircraft: 1975 Bonanza F33A
Username Protected wrote:
There's a fair chance that when that builder finishes, he or she might register it as "Smith S-7S 0318630," which, in the eyes of the FAA, is distinct from the "Letts S-7S 0318630" (or however exactly you registered yours).

Searching experimental amateur-built aircraft in the FAA registry is interesting. There are a lot of fragments of kit manufacturer names, proper trade names, and even bits of certificated names, such as the odd "Jones IO-360" engine. I get the idea that most builders try to be at least a little descriptive, that is the naming isn't all personal satisfaction and pride in a job well done.

:shrug:

I think you might be mixing up two fields. There is the "Manufacturer Name" field and the "Serial Number" field. I don't think people often get descriptive in the Serial Number field, but they certainly do in the Manufacturer Name Field.

My Manufacturer Name field is fine; I didn't get creative just used "Jackson Letts". I attempted to use the Kit Serial number in the "Serial Number" field, and that's where I got off by one digit. Like I said if my typo didn't actually correspond to another kit, I'd just run with it. But since it belongs to another kit, and RANS recommends using the Kit serial number for registration, I really can't leave it the way it is. It could cause multiple problems going forward.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the FAA registry page for my RANS.

https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquir ... rTxt=8932L

The reality now is that I've sent off the paperwork to correct it so I'm going to have to let it play out.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2022, 12:31 

Post Likes: +8745
Company: airlines (*CRJ,A320)
Aircraft: Travel Air,T-6B,etc*
I think you might be mixing up two fields. There is the "Manufacturer Name" field and the "Serial Number" field. I don't think people often get descriptive in the Serial Number field, but they certainly do in the Manufacturer Name Field.

I understand what you mean, I was just keeping my post as simple as possible. (Fair point though, for you to highlight the distinct manufacturer and other fields.)
:thumbup:

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022, 22:13 

Post Likes: +30
Aircraft: Bonanza
http://www.ransclan.com
Good site.

I've started two homebuilts, abandoning one and presently losing interest in the other. Van has said -- and he's right -- that before committing to a homebuilt project you should identify what you're going to give up in order to build an airplane. That is, what thing are you doing now that you'll quit doing so you can build? As Jim said, double the factory's time estimates. I'll add, halve the time you think you'll spend on it. Will you give it two hours every evening and eight hours on Saturday? Really? Some people do. Will your son work on it without you? What's he going to give up? Will you work on it without him, or will you only work when your schedules mesh?

The RANS estimate for an S-7 is, IIRC, 7-800 hours. People look at that and say, 8 or 10 hours a week, that's a hundred weeks or less. Two years. Great! But it's more likely a 1400-1600 hour project. Working an average of five hours a week, that's 300 weeks or 6 years.

I was interested in building a sailboat at one time. The best advice I got was, "Before you build the boat that'll take you around the world, build the dinghy for it." Here's my best advice. Before you commit to building a flying airplane, buy Pedal Plane plans from EAA and build that together. It uses the same skills of plans reading and integrating the plans and the manual. It'll also give you an idea of how easy it is to carve out the required time.

Good luck!!!

I considered building a sailboat myself, that was about 10 years ago.
Thank God I came to my senses, and bought one instead.
I've done plenty of sailing in the past decade, instead of just having a 20% done boat in my yard.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2022, 12:27 

Post Likes: +10534
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
I've done plenty of sailing in the past decade, instead of just having a 20% done boat in my yard.

I built a couple boats when I was a kid. The first was made from scrap 2x4s and a 4x4 sheet of plywood, needless to say it didn't float very well. The second one was made from mostly 1/2" and 1/4" plywood with a few hardwood ribs and stringers and that one actually worked. I think I spent about 2 days building the first and a month building the second.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2022, 18:08 

http://www.ransclan.com
Good site.

I've started two homebuilts, abandoning one and presently losing interest in the other. Van has said -- and he's right -- that before committing to a homebuilt project you should identify what you're going to give up in order to build an airplane. That is, what thing are you doing now that you'll quit doing so you can build? As Jim said, double the factory's time estimates. I'll add, halve the time you think you'll spend on it. Will you give it two hours every evening and eight hours on Saturday? Really? Some people do. Will your son work on it without you? What's he going to give up? Will you work on it without him, or will you only work when your schedules mesh?

The RANS estimate for an S-7 is, IIRC, 7-800 hours. People look at that and say, 8 or 10 hours a week, that's a hundred weeks or less. Two years. Great! But it's more likely a 1400-1600 hour project. Working an average of five hours a week, that's 300 weeks or 6 years.

I was interested in building a sailboat at one time. The best advice I got was, "Before you build the boat that'll take you around the world, build the dinghy for it." Here's my best advice. Before you commit to building a flying airplane, buy Pedal Plane plans from EAA and build that together. It uses the same skills of plans reading and integrating the plans and the manual. It'll also give you an idea of how easy it is to carve out the required time.

Good luck!!!

For a long time, I wanted to build a sailboat. No more, too old, back to bad. I love sailing and we have a nice 40-foot sloop. Now, it's almost too much just to maintain it much less build it.

A nice retirement project might be a classic cedar canoe.

I didn't keep track of how much time I have tied up in the RANS, but it has to be 1500 hours, probably more. But, it's all been fun and I'll probably build another one. As far as what I had to give up, I've always been a shop denizen. It's one of my happy places.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2022, 21:36 

Post Likes: +1606
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
The Rans is a joy to build. I’ll likely start, with the students, on our second shortly after the Christmas break. We’ll start our final assembly within these next two weeks outside of the school.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2023, 18:01 

After battling the paperwork for 2 months now, the Airworthiness Inspection is scheduled for next week. I've had plenty of time to get things in order so it should go smoothly.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2023, 18:04 

Post Likes: +3278
Aircraft: 1954 Twin Bonanza
After battling the paperwork for 2 months now, the Airworthiness Inspection is scheduled for next week. I've had plenty of time to get things in order so it should go smoothly.

FANTASTIC!!!

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2023, 18:30 

Post Likes: +1936
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17

That's great news Jack. Good luck.
Dave

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2023, 09:44 

Post Likes: +12334
Aircraft: B55 PII,F-1,L-2,OTW,
Jack, have you had a conversation with an EAA flight advisor about the first flight and subsequent test flight program?

Be Nice, Kind, I don't care, be something, just don't be a jerk ;-)

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2023, 11:59 

Jack, have you had a conversation with an EAA flight advisor about the first flight and subsequent test flight program?

I guess the short answer is no. I've talked to the Tech Inspectors at our local chapter. I have the EAA Flight Test Manual and the book of Test Cards. I also have a copy of AC 80-89B. I've read through and I have a pretty good idea of what the best practices are for the first flight and the testing phase. However I have not talked to an EAA Flight Advisor, I don't think we have one local at our Chapter. If you know someone who I should talk to, I'd be more than happy (maybe that's you?).

The big thing is that I'm not making the first flight. I got my tailwheel endorsement, but I'm not kidding myself that I'm a good tailwheel pilot. I'm sure that as long as everything goes well, I'd be fine. But if there is a problem, I don't think I've got the bandwidth to deal with it along with all the new airplane + tailwheel tasks. If it were something more like a Bonanza then I'd want to be the first to fly it. But given how different this thing is to fly and land, it's clear to me that someone else would be better.

I've got a local guy with tons of tailwheel time lined up. He's done a bunch of first flights in various EAB aircraft, mostly tail wheels. He's excited to do it and I'm excited to let him. He's going to make the first flight, and maybe the first few. It depends on whether it's all perfect or needs some adjustments. I won't fly it until he's satisfied that it flies straight and the engine is running properly.

The other thing is that it may not fly for a while after I get the Airworthiness Certificate. February in the Midwest, decent weather is rather rare. I've also got to coordinate schedules with the "test pilot". After all the waiting, I'm not going to start rushing things now.

If you have someone who you think I should talk to PM me the contact information. I'm still in the sponge phase as I transition from building to flying.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2023, 15:53 

I asked ChatGPT.

"What should you do before the first flight of a new experimental airplane?"

Here is the answer:

Before the first flight of a new experimental aircraft, it's important to take the following steps to ensure safety and the best chance of a successful flight:

Thoroughly inspect the aircraft: Conduct a comprehensive inspection of the aircraft to make sure it is in good condition and all systems are functioning properly. Check the airframe, control surfaces, engines, electrical and fuel systems, and any other relevant components.

Review the flight plan: Carefully review the flight plan to ensure it is safe and feasible. Consider factors such as weather conditions, flight path, altitude, and emergency procedures.

Check the weight and balance: Make sure the aircraft is properly loaded and that the weight and balance are within the limits specified by the manufacturer.

Perform a pre-flight check: Conduct a pre-flight check to make sure all systems are functioning and to identify any potential issues that need to be addressed before takeoff.

Conduct a test flight: If possible, conduct a test flight to evaluate the aircraft's performance and to identify any issues that need to be addressed. This can be done with a test pilot or with simulation software.

Obtain necessary permits and approvals: Ensure that you have obtained all necessary permits and approvals from the relevant authorities, such as the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in the US, before conducting the first flight.

Have a contingency plan: Have a contingency plan in place in case of an emergency or unexpected event during the flight. Make sure everyone involved in the flight, including the pilot and ground crew, are familiar with the plan.

Note that these are general guidelines, and specific requirements and procedures may vary depending on the aircraft, location, and regulations.

Not bad. The only oddball response is that it says the first flight "can be done with a test pilot or with simulation software". Not exactly the first flight if it's done on the simulator so that's a little off.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2023, 18:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4410
Aircraft: B200, 500B
I'm a big fan of the future of AI, but I still find ChatGPT amusing.

"What should I do before the first flight of a new airplane?"
"Take it out on a test flight!"

Congrats on the inspection! Has it happened yet?

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2023, 19:20 

The inspection is scheduled for Thursday at 9:00 AM.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2023, 09:19 

Post Likes: +1606
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
Good luck on your inspection. We’re looking at weighing as soon as today.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next