banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 08:43 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Rans S-7s Courier; Anyone have experience or opinions?
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2022, 21:28 

Post Likes: +6942
Aircraft: 1975 Bonanza F33A
Yeah, it’s getting close. Tail is on and wings are ready. Next step is to put the wings on. Then a little wiring and plumbing and it’s done.

I’ll make a longer post when I’m at a real computer.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2022, 21:43 

Post Likes: +1605
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
I had the opportunity to spend last weekend with Randy and Shelly.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 17:41 

Well, there they are, the RANS Royal Couple: Randy & Michelle. I have to say that they have both been excellent to work with as I've made my way through the build.

They've gotten extremely busy. The new S21 appears to be the hot ticket and they've got a big backlog. First time I flew out to RANS 4 years ago it was kinda sleepy. Now the place is jumping with activity. When I placed my order I got my kit I got it in about 8 weeks. Now they are quoting 18 months.

Where were you that you ran into the Royal Couple? Were you at RANS in Hays? Looks like it might be a workshop.

Jack

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 18:12 

The last time I updated this thread, I'd moved the fuselage over to my hangar and went back to work finishing up the wings. It thought the wings were essentially done but it turned out what was left to do was quite a bit of work. Mainly it was installing the lexan strips, rivets and tapes on all the ribs.

I also changed my plans and decided to install a Garmin pitot tube so that I could have the AOA feature on the G3X. That turned into a project since I had to slice open the Oratex, fabricate a bracket and install it inside the wing, then repair the Oratex. Would have been much easier if it just put it in before covering.

Right now I've been slowed down because it's cold. Too cold to work in my T-hangar and I don't have room to put the wings on in my shop. I should have access to a large heated hangar at KIXD, however, we don't have room for my lil old kit plane due to the amount of work we have going on with customer airplanes. What I did so I could keep moving is go get the fuselage and put it back in my shop. Over the last couple of weeks, I've got tail feathers installed and the rudder and elevator linkages hooked up. So that's progress.

As of now I'm out of things to do until it either warms up enough to work in an unheated T, or space opens up in the big hangar. I'm not sure which is going to happen first. The next step is to put the wings on.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 18:37 

Jack, I’m just a volunteer mentor watching our Granbury High school students build the S-21. Randy and Shelly actually stayed at our home and came to visit our students. We already have another kit coming in August for next year’s building project.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 19:13 

Mark

What a fantastic project to do with a bunch of High School kids. We never did anything that fun at my High School, all I can remember is math and physics. Actually, I like physics... but the math, yuck.

Nice that you had Randy and Shelly as house guests. They are wonderful people and fun to be around.

Jack

PostPosted: 09 May 2022, 16:20 

The wings are installed, and the tail is installed. All the control surfaces are installed and hooked up. All the electrical and fuel plumbing is done. The last real building part of the project has been the installation of the windshield and the skylight. I pretty much got that finished over the weekend.

What's left is all little stuff like painting and installing the wingtips. A couple of trim pieces around the windshield and wings. Then a punch list of things like additional adel clamps and small clean-up items. There is some more rigging to do, plus weighing it and getting a Pitot Static check. I'm about the declare that the airplane is "done" as in no more building left to do. After that, it's paperwork and test for the inspection and Airworthiness Certification.

I've got the feeling that there is going to be a delay in getting the FAA out for the inspection and actually getting the certificate. I should have started all the paperwork earlier, now it looks like I'll probably be waiting while all the paper makes its way through Oklahoma City and the FSDO.

Recent pictures.

Attachment:
67374585042__290121A2-AA9D-454A-8FBD-E9BDC54E7CFC.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_3789.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_3607.jpeg

PostPosted: 09 May 2022, 17:09 

Nice job! We’ll move our project in three weeks for final assembly.

PostPosted: 16 May 2022, 14:46 

Couple more pictures with the windshield completely installed and the protective plastic removed.

Attachment:
IMG_3798.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_3804.jpeg

PostPosted: 16 May 2022, 17:19 

You probably need to let me try it out. :rock:

PostPosted: 16 May 2022, 20:40 

Username Protected wrote:
You probably need to let me try it out. :rock:

I’m looking for someone to make the maiden flight. I’d like to do it myself, but I’ve got very little tail wheel time. So, I’m probably going to try and get a seasoned tail wheel guy to make the first flight or two.

Interested?

PostPosted: 16 May 2022, 21:32 

I’d love to do that! How far out are you on fitting the cowling?

PostPosted: 16 May 2022, 23:43 

Post Likes: +1662
Aircraft: Glasair Sportsman
Mark

I assume you are trying to be helpful, but this is just silly.

I've been tying things off (including my own person; rock climbing, and mountaineering) and rigging heavy equipment for crane lifts for a long time. I can assure you that the way I had the plane secured was more than adequate.

If you are a belt, suspenders, staples, baling wire, and duct tape guy; more power to you. But, with a length of 1/2" quality rope, a bowline around the tail wheel assembly, and a clove hitch around a stout post, the plane wasn't going anywhere.

If I need to start the engine again before the fuselage moves to the airport, I'll secure it exactly the same way.

Jack

Silly? Hmmm... maybe not so silly after all. In fact I'm dead serious. Read the link to find out why! :bugeye:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8807068/tsb- ... icine-hat/

PostPosted: 16 May 2022, 23:59 

I’d love to do that! How far out are you on fitting the cowling?

The cowling is all done. It's been done for a long time, over a year. I did everything I could in my shop at home before I moved the project to the airport for final assembly.

Spinner & backplate are done. Doors are done. It's really down to those last few little things I listed, plus all the inspections & getting square with the FAA for the airworthiness cert.

Attachment:
IMG_1908.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_1910.jpeg

PostPosted: 17 May 2022, 00:20 

Mark

I assume you are trying to be helpful, but this is just silly.

I've been tying things off (including my own person; rock climbing, and mountaineering) and rigging heavy equipment for crane lifts for a long time. I can assure you that the way I had the plane secured was more than adequate.

If you are a belt, suspenders, staples, baling wire, and duct tape guy; more power to you. But, with a length of 1/2" quality rope, a bowline around the tail wheel assembly, and a clove hitch around a stout post, the plane wasn't going anywhere.

If I need to start the engine again before the fuselage moves to the airport, I'll secure it exactly the same way.

Jack

Silly? Hmmm... maybe not so silly after all. In fact I'm dead serious. Read the link to find out why! :bugeye:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8807068/tsb- ... icine-hat/

I never said that it's something that couldn't happen or that has never happened. I said that the way I had it secured was more than adequate.

I've started and run the engine several more times getting to the bottom of a grounding problem. The proof is in the pudding, zero mishaps.

The next time I start it, my feet will be on the brakes and I'll probably taxi around a bit.

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next