banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 19:08 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Rans S-7s Courier; Anyone have experience or opinions?
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 21:43 

Post Likes: +1630
Aircraft: C-120 RV8
Username Protected wrote:

Are you being serious here?

That's a load-bearing column with a concrete footer. I hardly think that little 100Hp Rotax put it to any kind of a test.

I was trying to think of what I might have done that looks stupid on the internet, but that one never occurred to me.

I was being serious but my comment was more of a commentary on what I routinely see in residential construction. 90% of the columns sit on top of finish floor, not on the footing, and are rarely anchored. Regardless, my apologies if the comment was offensive. That was not my intent.

Robert

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 22:44 

Post Likes: +6942
Aircraft: 1975 Bonanza F33A

Are you being serious here?

That's a load-bearing column with a concrete footer. I hardly think that little 100Hp Rotax put it to any kind of a test.

I was trying to think of what I might have done that looks stupid on the internet, but that one never occurred to me.

I was being serious but my comment was more of a commentary on what I routinely see in residential construction. 90% of the columns sit on top of finish floor, not on the footing, and are rarely anchored. Regardless, my apologies if the comment was offensive. That was not my intent.

Robert

Robert

I wasn't offended, just perplexed. I'm no expert on residential construction, but that particular column is more than stout enough for the purpose I put it to restraining my little RANS.

I really thought you might be kidding, implying that the diminutive Rotax might pull down the building; like a Caterpillar, John Deere, or Scrappy or something.

I did a little Googling because you got me interested. It looks like a Rotax 912 might develop a little over 300 pounds of thrust at full power. That's actually more than I would have guessed. However I never ran it anywhere near full power, the highest I went was 3000RPM. With a redline of 5800RPM and an idle speed of 2000, just spitballing I'd guess that I never had over 100 pounds of pull.

Jack

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 23:07 

Post Likes: +3278
Aircraft: 1954 Twin Bonanza
Absolutely awesome!

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 23:12 

Post Likes: +821
Aircraft: Cessna A185F
Not trying to pile on Jack, but yes, it’s hard for us to know from the video how well anchored the column is. Perhaps it’s not just perched on a cheesy bracket and the concrete is poured around it.

There was a turbine legend experimental at CYBW that was ground run without the wing installed. It ended up on its side. Understandably, your risk (torque) is less. Still, it was unnerving to watch after having seen a run up gone wrong.

Obviously, you had it well planned. Didn’t make it less spooky!

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 23:17 

Post Likes: +1630
Aircraft: C-120 RV8

I really thought you might be kidding, implying that the diminutive Rotax might pull down the building; like a Caterpillar, John Deere, or Scrappy or something.

Jack

Well.....that would have made a better video!!! ;)

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 00:57 

Not trying to pile on Jack, but yes, it’s hard for us to know from the video how well anchored the column is. Perhaps it’s not just perched on a cheesy bracket and the concrete is poured around it.

There was a turbine legend experimental at CYBW that was ground run without the wing installed. It ended up on its side. Understandably, your risk (torque) is less. Still, it was unnerving to watch after having seen a run up gone wrong.

Obviously, you had it well planned. Didn’t make it less spooky!

Daryl

For future reference; if I do something stupid like pull the column off the shop, or flip the plane in a torque roll I'll make sure and warn everyone that a major F*up is coming in the video.

Notice I'm not saying that I'm incapable of doing something stupid.

Now, I was a bit surprised that the engine started right up. I thought I'd have to crank it a little bit, or it might not start at all. And there was a little slack in the tail rope so the plane lurched forward 8 or 10 inches when it lit. I had a moment's premonition of the thing taking off and marauding around the neighborhood for a while. That would have made the Christmas party awkward and I probably wouldn't have put the video on YouTube.

But overall the plan worked perfectly. The column, rope, and knots were all suited to the task. She started right up and was very smooth. Temps all looked good, the alternator was charging, engine instruments all displayed correctly on the G3X. Given all the things that could have been wrong with the 912IS installation (electronic fuel injection and ignition), and integration with the G3X (CANBUS integration), I'm considering it a rousing success.

Remember I did all the wiring myself so there was lots of room for error.

Jack

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 06:35 

Post Likes: +11353
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
A buddy of mine did a G3X retrofit in an RV-7. He’s retired and it still took him a year. This stuff isn’t for the irresolute.

Congrats again.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 12:31 

A buddy of mine did a G3X retrofit in an RV-7. He’s retired and it still took him a year. This stuff isn’t for the irresolute.

Congrats again.

I could see that.

There is nothing particularly difficult about wiring up the G3X, radio, transponder, engine monitor, ADHRS, autopilot, magnetometer, etc... but there is a mountain of details. I tended to spend considerably more time thinking about it and making drawings than actual wiring. It's a pretty big job, bigger than I thought it would be. I didn't spend a year on it, but it was several months of steady work.

When I was deciding whether to put in a full G3X system I talked to Steinair at Oskkosh about having them just make me a harness. The ballpark figure was $5K, I thought that was ridiculous. By the time I was done that looked like a pretty good value. :D

As of now, I'm 3 years and 4 months into the project, hopefully, just a couple more to go. I've still got a bunch of stuff left to do, including getting a tailwheel endorsement, the DAR process, and finding insurance.

It's all been great fun. I'm past ready to fly the thing, but I'm already thinking about what to build next! Next one, maybe something fast...

Jack

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 11:20 

Post Likes: +3278
Aircraft: 1954 Twin Bonanza
It's all been great fun. I'm past ready to fly the thing, but I'm already thinking about what to build next! Next one, maybe something fast...

Jack

I'll help you with an appropriate link:

https://lancair.com/barracuda/

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 11:41 

Brad

That certainly checks the speed box!

My knee jerk is that don't want to build something out of glass. Too much time covered in goop. Too many hours wearing a respirator. Too much sanding. But watching the Mike Patey videos has me reconsidering.

I know I like building out of aluminum. I've got all the tools including a brake, shear, roll. I've got the basic skill set. Maybe a Harmon or F1 Rocket?

An RV-8 with a Titan 390 engine looks like a straightforward decision. I know a number of guys who've built them and fly them. There is a very active RV community in Kansas City (KC Flight). That's got some appeal.

I've got to finish getting the kids through college and do all the deferred maintenance around the house before I start another project. But it's not too early to start thinking!

Jack

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 12:40 

Post Likes: +21
Aircraft: Tecnam P2008
Congrats on the first engine run!

By the way, if any of you S-7S fans haven’t seen this airplane here’s a cool walk around I think y’all would like. Start at 4:40 here. https://youtu.be/5Olmfj7O4Ec

All metal wing, electric retractable slats, double slotted flaps, carbon fiber drooped tips, it’s just a thing of beauty!

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2021, 14:37 

Post Likes: +1662
Aircraft: Glasair Sportsman

Chocks, man. Chocks! :bugeye: :D

That first jump forward as the prop started turning could have produced some nasty surprises.

For engine starts one wants to have the aircraft chocked with BIG chocks AND the tail tied to something significant.

In the case of my aircraft (O-360-powered) I had 6" tall chocks both in front of and behind the wheels, then 5/8" ropes from each main gear leg going back to a clevis on my tractor... with the tractor parked sideways! Every engine run was done this way. All it takes is one little goof and an airplane can get away from you so fast your head won't even have time to spin.

Oh, one other little suggestion. Be INSIDE the cockpit with your feet on the brakes when you hit that start switch. Runaway pilot-less aircraft have a tendency to do tremendous damage before somebody can reach the ignition switch and get 'er shut down.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm raining on your parade. OK, I am raining on your parade. After watching a really nice 182 get chomped up by a runaway clip-wing Piper when hand-propping went afoul I have to say I hope I never, ever see such an event again in my life.

Congratulations on getting that big fan turning. Onward and upward!

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2021, 14:41 

Mark

I assume you are trying to be helpful, but this is just silly.

I've been tying things off (including my own person; rock climbing, and mountaineering) and rigging heavy equipment for crane lifts for a long time. I can assure you that the way I had the plane secured was more than adequate.

If you are a belt, suspenders, staples, baling wire, and duct tape guy; more power to you. But, with a length of 1/2" quality rope, a bowline around the tail wheel assembly, and a clove hitch around a stout post, the plane wasn't going anywhere.

If I need to start the engine again before the fuselage moves to the airport, I'll secure it exactly the same way.

Jack

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2021, 11:29 

Status update.

I ran out of things to do on the fuselage so I moved it over to the airport and put it in the hangar with the Bonanza.

Attachment:
IMG_2565.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_2570.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_2571.jpg

It was a big day! The fuselage has been my constant companion for the last couple of years. It felt strange when it was no longer in the shop.

I was 90% done with the wings when the fuselage kit arrived and I hung them up on the ceiling to make room. I pulled the right wing back down and got it back on the rotisserie. I've put all the Lexan strips, rivets, and tapes on all the ribs. Cut all the inspection holes and installed all the farings. I got everything painted and expect to have the right wing done in the next couple of days.

Attachment:
IMG_2637.jpg

Next I'll pull down the left wing and do all the same chores, plus make a bracket and install the Garmin pitot tube. When I built the wings, I didn't know I'd be using the Garmin AOA. But now that the entire Garmin G3X system is installed, it only makes sense.

It won't be long now until the entire project is at the airport. Need to install the wings, tail feathers, and control surfaces. Then install the windshield. That's it, it will be done!

I'm starting to look into tail wheel training and insurance in anticipation of the first flight.

Jack

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2022, 13:55 

Post Likes: +1607
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
Any updates?

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next