banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 16:09 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Rans S-7s Courier; Anyone have experience or opinions?
PostPosted: 17 May 2022, 13:19 

Post Likes: +1607
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
That looks really nice!
Hoping this one flies this summer.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 17 May 2022, 14:58 

Post Likes: +6942
Aircraft: 1975 Bonanza F33A
Username Protected wrote:
That looks really nice!
Hoping this one flies this summer.

That looks like it's more than a few months from flying. But I guess I don't know what a group of motivated High School kids can accomplish as a team. I hope you are right and it's airborne before the fall semester. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2022, 17:14 

First taxi was on Saturday!

Attachment:
IMG_3973.jpeg

https://youtube.com/shorts/_T0dWhvobNY

The plane is essentially finished, where finished means nothing left to build. I'm outta parts.

The registration is complete and I've talked to the inspector about getting on the schedule. Still have a bunch of tasks and paperwork to get done before I get the airworthiness certification, but it's definitely on the home stretch.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2022, 17:01 

Post Likes: +1936
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
Jack,
I've got an hour or two in the back seat of a friends S7 and was lucky to get about 30 minutes in it from the pilot seat last week. That's not much experience, one take off, one landing, and just a bit of flying but I think you'll love it. Its very maneuverable with great visibility. Best of all, it sips gasoline. For tooling around the area and hamburger runs, it's hard to beat. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dave

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2022, 17:33 

Progress continues.

I got the registration back from the FAA, so they know it's an airplane and recognize it as such. Next step is the inspection and the Airworthiness Certification.

I've been in contact with the inspector and he's been very helpful. He is with the Kansas City FSDO, he's not a DAR. Once I get all the paperwork done and the last of my punch list items accomplished he says he can usually schedule the inspection within a few days. The speed of the registration and the helpfulness of the FAA has been a very pleasant surprise.

The punch list is short. Things like placards and tail number, seat belts, and data tag left to do. I should be scheduling the inspection in the next week or so. Maybe have the Airwothness Certification in 2 weeks?

I weighed it and it came in at 761 pounds. I put some things in that added weight; panel & autopilot, rear seat heater, 912IS engine. But then I covered in Oratex which saved weight. 750 is considered a "good" empty weight, so I more or less hit that. I'm happy with the weight.

Recent pics:

Attachment:
IMG_4107.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_4103.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_4100.jpeg

It looks like a real airplane with the doors and cowling installed. :D

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2022, 17:47 

Post Likes: +22857
Aircraft: A33
Looks great Jack

realize you don't want a big audience for your first flight (and I'd encourage you to keep that event private) but I'd love to fly up and see one of your later test flights

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2022, 17:58 

Post Likes: +6409
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
Looks great!

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2022, 18:14 

Looks great Jack

realize you don't want a big audience for your first flight (and I'd encourage you to keep that event private) but I'd love to fly up and see one of your later test flights

I'd like to keep the first flight low-key. An audience seems like an unnecessary distraction. But sure, once I get a few hours on it come on out. I'd love to meet you and show off the new plane!

It looks like I may have the plane done and all certified and airworthy before I have all the insurance and training worked out. There will likely be another delay, which is a bit of a bummer.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2022, 11:12 

The project is done; by done I mean there is nothing left to do on the punch list. Still working on the paperwork then still need the Airworthiness Inspection. Hopefully, that will happen shortly, but until I have it scheduled I'm not hazarding a guess. I have a paperwork SNAFU that might be easy to fix or it might have to make its way back through Oklahoma City. If it has to go back to OK City, then who knows how long.

In the meantime, I'm going to get the training I need to actually fly the plane. I'm scheduled to fly out to West Desert Airpark Southwest of Salt Lake City on Nov 8th to get my tailwheel endorsement and some time in an actual S7s. As far as I can tell, Rocky Mountain KItplanes has the only S7 in the country that you can rent and get instruction. They have a good instructor and a late-model S7 that should be almost exactly like mine. Plan to stay for 2 or 3 days and get 5 - 10 hours in their plane. Hopefully, that will be enough that I'll feel comfortable in my plane.

Here are some recent pictures. It doesn't look much different from the last pictures, but there has been quite a bit of work done knocking out the last items on the punch list. As far as I'm concerned, it's airworthy right now. But as we all know it's not actually airworthy until the FAA says so.

Attachment:
IMG_4322.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_4312.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_4313.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_4317.jpeg

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2022, 11:24 

Looks great Jack. You may want to check with your insurance company about the hours of training they want to see.

The project is done; by done I mean there is nothing left to do on the punch list. Still working on the paperwork then still need the Airworthiness Inspection. Hopefully, that will happen shortly, but until I have it scheduled I'm not hazarding a guess. I have a paperwork SNAFU that might be easy to fix or it might have to make its way back through Oklahoma City. If it has to go back to OK City, then who knows how long.

In the meantime, I'm going to get the training I need to actually fly the plane. I'm scheduled to fly out to West Desert Airpark Southwest of Salt Lake City on Nov 8th to get my tailwheel endorsement and some time in an actual S7s. As far as I can tell, Rocky Mountain KItplanes has the only S7 in the country that you can rent and get instruction. They have a good instructor and a late-model S7 that should be almost exactly like mine. Plan to stay for 2 or 3 days and get 5 - 10 hours in their plane. Hopefully, that will be enough that I'll feel comfortable in my plane.

Here are some recent pictures. It doesn't look much different from the last pictures, but there has been quite a bit of work done knocking out the last items on the punch list. As far as I'm concerned, it's airworthy right now. But as we all know it's not actually airworthy until the FAA says so.

Attachment:
IMG_4322.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_4312.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_4313.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_4317.jpeg

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2022, 12:22 

Looks great Jack. You may want to check with your insurance company about the hours of training they want to see.

I've done that.

Here is what I've decided to do. I'm going to put liability only on it until I have 20-25 hours of tailwheel time, maybe a bit more. The prices for very low-time tailwheel pilots are insane and I don't think they reflect the risk in any way. The upshot is that if I ground loop it, I'll just take it home and fix it. The insurance company has to assume they will need to take it to some rag and tube shop and pay big bucks to fix it. For me, experimental parts are cheap and I have time to fix it so there is not much risk.

If I total it, well that's bad and it would make me very sad. But I'd mostly be sad about all the time I have in it, not the money. I could afford the financial loss and insurance wouldn't replace all my time and emotional attachment anyway.

My agent's suggestion is that I don't even ask for quotes until I have 20-25 hours TW time and time in type. Just start off in the lower-risk pool rather than try and get out of the high-risk pool. Put the money I would have spent on bloated insurance into additional training. Makes sense to me.

David, you’re a tail wheel guy, what do you think of this plan? I can still change my mind.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2022, 13:20 

Well that's a tough one. I do like at least keeping liability.

Maybe take a few more hours of training out west too? Who will be doing the first flights in your plane?

Dave

I've done that.

Here is what I've decided to do. I'm going to put liability only on it until I have 20-25 hours of tailwheel time, maybe a bit more. The prices for very low-time tailwheel pilots are insane and I don't think they reflect the risk in any way. The upshot is that if I ground loop it, I'll just take it home and fix it. The insurance company has to assume they will need to take it to some rag and tube shop and pay big bucks to fix it. For me, experimental parts are cheap and I have time to fix it so there is not much risk.

If I total it, well that's bad and it would make me very sad. But I'd mostly be sad about all the time I have in it, not the money. I could afford the financial loss and insurance wouldn't replace all my time and emotional attachment anyway.

My agent's suggestion is that I don't even ask for quotes until I have 20-25 hours TW time and time in type. Just start off in the lower-risk pool rather than try and get out of the high-risk pool. Put the money I would have spent on bloated insurance into additional training. Makes sense to me.

David, you’re a tail wheel guy, what do you think of this plan? I can still change my mind.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2022, 13:45 

Post Likes: +22857
Aircraft: A33
I think your reasoning is spot-on, Jack. We don't carry any hull insurance on our champ, the cost of insurance is crazy for the value of the airframe. If one of us bends it, we'll just fix it and carry on.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2022, 14:06 

Post Likes: +1607
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
Bravo!!
Ours is getting close to leaving the school and be relocated to the airport.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2022, 14:39 

Well that's a tough one. I do like at least keeping liability.

Maybe take a few more hours of training out west too? Who will be doing the first flights in your plane?

Dave

I'm definitely going to put liability on it. I can afford to lose the plane, but unknown liability is too much risk.

I'm not sure who's going to do the first flight but it probably won't be me. Randy Schlitter (Randy is the RAN'S in RANS) said he might do it, but he's been non-committal which is fair since I don't have a date yet. It would be easy for me to fly the Bonanza out to Hays bring him back for the first flight, then take him home. I have another very experienced TW pilot + instructor who says he'd like to do it. That would be fine with me, he is clearly well-qualified.

Depending on how things go in Salt Lake with the training, I might like to do it myself. However, SWMBO is not on board with that plan. I really have no idea how hard it is going to be for me to transition to a tailwheel. It sounds like getting good at it is a journey, but in zero to light wind it's not that tough. I'm keeping an open mind and I'm trying to stay humble about it.

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next