Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Half Curious/Serious CSOTBM Question (Q for the TBM folk
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 09:51 

Post Likes: +3608
Aircraft: Piper M600
quote="Joel Davis"]
Wasn't it an attempt to climb out of icing that took out the TBM in NJ a few years back?[/quote]

I think it was the lack of an attempt to climb out. If I recall correctly it was over 20 minutes from his first report of icing to the crash without a request for a change in altitude.[/quote]

It was under 2 minutes from the time he confirmed icing to loss of control. But as Marc said, he made a few mistakes including not following the POH protocol for icing. A more experienced pilot would have had a different outcome. There were a lot of aircraft including booted aircraft flying in that area that day. Icing was severe, but if you fly in enough ice, you will encounter severe conditions. You need to recognize when it is severe and act expeditiously when you encounter it.

At 1002:17, the ZNY controller advised the pilot that he would be cleared to a higher altitude when ATC could provide it, and that light icing would be encountered at 17,000 feet. The pilot responded with, “I can confirm that light icing…” and stated that, “…light icing has been present for a little while and a higher altitude would be great.” The altitude of the airplane at that time was 16,800 feet and 101 knots ground speed.

At 1002:34, the pilot reported, “we’re getting a little rattle here can we ah get ah higher as soon as possible please.” The ZNY controller responded with “stand by” and coordinated for a higher altitude with an adjacent sector controller.

At 1002:59, the ZNY controller directed the pilot to climb and maintain FL200 and the pilot acknowledged. At 1004:08, the airplane reached an altitude of 17,800 feet before it turned about 70 degrees to the left and entered a descent. At 1004:29, while descending through 17,400 feet, and at 90 knots ground speed, the pilot transmitted, “and N731CA’s declaring…” No subsequent radio transmissions were heard from the pilot. The final radar return at 1005:17 was observed at an altitude of 2,000 feet, about 600 yards west of the main wreckage impact site. The previous return, recorded 9 seconds earlier, indicated 6,200 feet.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 17:14 

Post Likes: +2362
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
Username Protected wrote:
Anthony speaks the truth on TBM maintenance. The TBM is a GREAT airplane, but the operating cost is quite a bit higher than many claim.
What makes it so high? Cost of parts, short life parts/inspections, lots of man-hours, no cheaper shops than dealers, what?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 17:47 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8429
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Anthony speaks the truth on TBM maintenance. The TBM is a GREAT airplane, but the operating cost is quite a bit higher than many claim.
What makes it so high? Cost of parts, short life parts/inspections, lots of man-hours, no cheaper shops than dealers, what?

If you use service centers and do everything required as I do it just costs more. One thing I have learned is that you want to avoid the 10 year annual if possible.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 18:54 

Post Likes: +2751
Big differences I found relevant:

1.TBM is much beefier and closer to military grade. I can fly (I believe much safer) in a different grade of weather because the airframe can handle it.

THIS ^^

the TBM is built like a military aircraft, with Ferrari fit and finish. We looked at the Meridian, but could not make it work (I also found it a bit tough to get in and out, and I'm 5'9 and flexible).

I can put 6 in the TBM, and still go >1000 miles at 300kts. it's difficult to load it outside of CG. it'll carry anything. and it climbs like a rocket... it is what all GA airplanes should imitate.

it'll do 305 all day long (i've seen 315). or it'll do 205 with the same fuel flow as my 340. it's an all together different airplane.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 20:05 

If you use service centers and do everything required as I do it just costs more.
So there's a lot of scheduled, expensive, required maintenance events? Or lots of unscheduled, things breaking that are expensive to fix?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 20:54 

Post Likes: +4019
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
Dave,
There are lot of threads on BT that spec very well the operating costs of the TBM including info earlier in this thread. I’ve never been AOG in 7 years on the road except once, when I left the crash bar up over night and toasted my battery.

Read posts over the years by the TBMOPA owners group and you’ll find most go annual to annual without anything breaking. If I wasn’t under the weather I’d research them and share.
Fly safe,

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 21:17 

Post Likes: +1266
Company: Underground Airways
Aircraft: Mooney M20K 231+
Dave,
There are lot of threads on BT that spec very well the operating costs of the TBM including info earlier in this thread. I’ve never been AOG in 7 years on the road except once, when I left the crash bar up over night and toasted my battery.

Read posts over the years by the TBMOPA owners group and you’ll find most go annual to annual without anything breaking. If I wasn’t under the weather I’d research them and share.
Fly safe,

Just curious, does any aircraft have an automatic battery/circuit "shut off" if under certain battery draws like this accessory being left on?
Steve

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 05:52 

Post Likes: +2751
Just curious, does any aircraft have an automatic battery/circuit "shut off" if under certain battery draws like this accessory being left on?
Steve

if one did, I wouldn't base a purchase decision on that feature. Although we've not gone through to an annual yet (we are 6 months in), I have also hear that it's common to go annual to annual with nothing breaking. in our first 100 hours, not a single gripe. when you look at how it's made, it makes sense. it's not a fragile airplane.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 11:34 

Post Likes: +623
Aircraft: C180
If you use service centers and do everything required as I do it just costs more.
So there's a lot of scheduled, expensive, required maintenance events? Or lots of unscheduled, things breaking that are expensive to fix?

I think the gist of it is that you don’t HAVE (part 91) to do some of these “recommended” things, but the penalty at resale or to catch up is significant such that you might as well do them?

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 11:50 

There are lot of threads on BT that spec very well the operating costs of the TBM including info earlier in this thread.... Read posts over the years by the TBMOPA owners group and you’ll find most go annual to annual without anything breaking.
I get that, I'm just not clear whether the annual items are scheduled or unscheduled. There's a difference between knowing it's time for an expensive item so having a good idea how expensive the annual will be vs. only finding out during the annual which expensive items have worn beyond spec and need to be done.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 16:15 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3711
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2
There are lot of threads on BT that spec very well the operating costs of the TBM including info earlier in this thread.... Read posts over the years by the TBMOPA owners group and you’ll find most go annual to annual without anything breaking.
I get that, I'm just not clear whether the annual items are scheduled or unscheduled. There's a difference between knowing it's time for an expensive item so having a good idea how expensive the annual will be vs. only finding out during the annual which expensive items have worn beyond spec and need to be done.

I haven't been thru an annual yet on mine (aquired in Jan), but from what I have been told from numerous sources is that the expensive items are all on the annual schedule (A, B, C all coinciding with the annuals). I'm told if you do those items at the recommended times then there is very little that will be unexpected.

I'l be crossing my fingers next month.......

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 18:57 

WWW  Profile

For me its been the former mostly. However, I did have a failure of part in the environmental system last year which created a pressurization emergency (detailed here on BT) with a $52,000 part and total repair cost close to $60,000. I have had a pilot door seal failure which was just a couple of thousand dollars the last time when it was fixed correctly but several thousand more for the fumbling efforts of the first service center. Then there was gear switch replacement that ran around 5 AMU's. And, unlike Chuck, I've been AOG more than once. Most recently tomorrow due to the failure of a door pressurization switch. Don't know how much that will cost yet. I've owned my plane 3 weeks short of 3 years and a bit under 600 hours of flying time.

It's a great airplane. I love mine. But you need to understand you're maintaining a multi million dollar airplane with enormous capability and complexity. There is no such thing as CSOBTBM.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 18:58 

WWW  Profile

Dave,

Fly safe,

Steve

No.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 19:12 

Post Likes: +4019
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
There is no such thing as CSOBTBM.[/quote]

Tony,

:D thanks for that, best belly laugh all day. No such frigging thing as a CSOTBN!! I love it. :coffee:

Pay to play and that cost has been documented well. CET

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 19:59 

Post Likes: +6452
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
This has been a great thread to read. Thank you to all who have contributed.

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next