banner
banner

18 Apr 2024, 10:50 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Help Me Think Through This Supercub Thing
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 07:21 

Post Likes: +17162
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
"Historical Information" :peace:

Many moons ago, an ag service here at KGNF had a Super Cub with spray booms and tank. It was listed as "restricted" in the ag configuration.

No big deal, but it is an interesting point. I see a very knowledgeable FAA guy on a regular basis, I'll discuss it with him. I'm betting that it has to do with having exterior attachments, like spray booms, on the airplane. All the old Stearmans with ag equipment were in the restricted category. When they were converted back to stock, they became standard.

As well, there are some 450 hp Stearman flying today that were licensed in the "restricted" category when the engine conversion was performed. Others were licensed in "standard". I think it all had to do with the level of approvals and paper work. :shrug:

I pulled banners occasionally with my last Decathlon. Had to have an FAA inspection and waiver and no "restricted" category was involved.

Jgreen

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 10:27 

Post Likes: +11411
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
Frustrating stuff. Is this legal?
https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1312501/1989-piper-super-cub

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/17578051/1989-piper-super-cub

Same airplane for sale by two different dealers, in two different states, for two different prices. I emailed both and asked who owns the airplane, where is it, and who can actually sell it. Maybe there will be interesting replies.

But what's the law about this?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 10:31 

Post Likes: +12430
Aircraft: C182
Username Protected wrote:
https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1312501/1989-piper-super-cub

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/17578051/1989-piper-super-cub

Same airplane for sale by two different dealers, in two different states, for two different prices. I emailed both and asked who owns the airplane, where is it, and who can actually sell it. Maybe there will be interesting replies.

Well, sometimes a dealer/broker will list a plane he doesn't have a contract on.

Then again, some would say that if you call, and it's a dealer, you need to hang up and go find a plane being sold by the owner. ;)

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 11:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5760
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28

I can't imagine the law has anything to say about it unless one of those sellers doesn't actually have the right to sell the aircraft, in which case it would be fraud. Maybe a buyer frustrated with one broker reached out to another, who didn't check to see that it was already for sale? Maybe the old broker never took down the ad?

Being sold by a broker wouldn't stop me right away, but that airbrushed cowling would ;-)

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 15:35 

I think I'd buy another cowling and sell the original on eBay.

A friend bought an airplane from someone who didn't own it. It was a bad situation.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 15:43 

Post Likes: +291
Aircraft: PA-18
what i really love about this thread…

it is "just" about a Supercub……

but what an airplane if it draws so much attention among a very diversified and sophisticated community here..

Long live the Cubs….

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 08:34 

Here's what I'm running into: There are nice airplanes. There are close airplanes. There are no nice, close airplanes. One option is to keep my eyes open and wait for something local to show up. But that's so pre-Internet! It also requires patience: not my forte.

The other option is to buy something in, say, Montana, and fly it home (adventure!) vs have it ferried (not "fairy-ed." Cf. another thread with some name-calling in it).

Have you ever bought an airplane without seeing/sitting in/flying it first? What's the process? Thinking as a seller, I'm not too interested in haggling with some dude on the phone when I've never seen him in the flesh. As a buyer, I don't like trusting the seller that he a)owns this airplane b)sent me photos of the airplane in question, and c) is representing it fairly. ("Flies straight!")

So let's say I talk to a seller and we agree on a price, contingent on a pre-purchase inspection. Now I'm relying on the word of an A&P I've never met, whom I contacted based on an answer to a post on Supercub.org with the subject "Need A&P for Prebuy near KBZM." He says, "nice airplane. Here's a list of squawks, all minor. That'll be $700, please." Then I send the agreed-upon amount to AOPA Title and Escrow and, because I have to work to pay for this, I find some other stranger in whom to invest unwarranted trust to ferry it to Indianapolis for me. If all goes well, I get to meet my new airplane in the flesh on the ramp at home. It's like an arranged marriage. What if she's not as pretty in person?

I'm talking about $100k here. Would you do this without seeing the airplane in person? I know some have. How did it go?

The best thing would be if someone within a couple of hundred miles of here had a nice (but not too nice) Supercub they wanted to sell to a BT Bro :bud: . Close by, there are two advertised. One has run 20 hours in the past 7 years. The other has 12,000 hours and used to be a glider tow in Holland. The logs are in Dutch.

Who was that guy who used to come on here and complain there was nothing decent for sale? I swear I'm not that guy. :peace:

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 08:44 

Post Likes: +10507
Aircraft: 182
I'd always go look personally before pulling the trigger but you could have a local BT bro prescreen the bugger for you before jumping on a plane. That would definitely save you on a plane that was not represented honestly.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 08:51 

Post Likes: +23596
Aircraft: Prior C310,BE33,SR22
Of the 9 airplanes I've purchased, I met 3 of them (in person) for the first time when they were flown in to my airport. All 3 turned out great.

Yes, there is faith involved, but I found that enough conversations with the seller, with the A&P who maintained the plane, and with the pre-purchase A&P that I hired gave me enough confidence to move ahead with the buy. Basic Googling "background checks" can be helpful too, i.e., no recent criminal record or bankruptcy, etc.

Sometimes, you just have to step off the edge of the pool and into the water.. Almost always you swim OK; once in a great while you may not.

- Mars Bonfire

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 08:54 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1364
Company: Progress Technical. LLC
Aircraft: B-55
Stuart,

You are looking at the Cub Crafters inventory page right? http://cubcrafters.com/c/inventory/ There might be something there. I know it's pushing your upper price boundary, but maybe an older Carbon Cub EX would fit the need.

Did you get in touch with the guy at Sky Manor (Pitstown, NJ)? I'd be happy to go take a look for you.

--paul

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 09:25 

Stuart,

You are looking at the Cub Crafters inventory page right? http://cubcrafters.com/c/inventory/ There might be something there. I know it's pushing your upper price boundary, but maybe an older Carbon Cub EX would fit the need.

Did you get in touch with the guy at Sky Manor (Pitstown, NJ)? I'd be happy to go take a look for you.

--paul

If I know which one you're talking about, I did talk with the guy in New Jersey. I've been sick for a week or so, but that one was on the short list before that. Now that I'm mending, I expect the list will need some updating. Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 09:38 

Post Likes: +2961
Company: Dermatology
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
Here's what I'm running into: There are nice airplanes. There are close airplanes. There are no nice, close airplanes. One option is to keep my eyes open and wait for something local to show up. But that's so pre-Internet! It also requires patience: not my forte.

The other option is to buy something in, say, Montana, and fly it home (adventure!) vs have it ferried (not "fairy-ed." Cf. another thread with some name-calling in it).

Have you ever bought an airplane without seeing/sitting in/flying it first? What's the process? Thinking as a seller, I'm not too interested in haggling with some dude on the phone when I've never seen him in the flesh. As a buyer, I don't like trusting the seller that he a)owns this airplane b)sent me photos of the airplane in question, and c) is representing it fairly. ("Flies straight!")

So let's say I talk to a seller and we agree on a price, contingent on a pre-purchase inspection. Now I'm relying on the word of an A&P I've never met, whom I contacted based on an answer to a post on Supercub.org with the subject "Need A&P for Prebuy near KBZM." He says, "nice airplane. Here's a list of squawks, all minor. That'll be $700, please." Then I send the agreed-upon amount to AOPA Title and Escrow and, because I have to work to pay for this, I find some other stranger in whom to invest unwarranted trust to ferry it to Indianapolis for me. If all goes well, I get to meet my new airplane in the flesh on the ramp at home. It's like an arranged marriage. What if she's not as pretty in person?

I'm talking about $100k here. Would you do this without seeing the airplane in person? I know some have. How did it go?

The best thing would be if someone within a couple of hundred miles of here had a nice (but not too nice) Supercub they wanted to sell to a BT Bro :bud: . Close by, there are two advertised. One has run 20 hours in the past 7 years. The other has 12,000 hours and used to be a glider tow in Holland. The logs are in Dutch.

Who was that guy who used to come on here and complain there was nothing decent for sale? I swear I'm not that guy. :peace:

Stu,

I did exactly that when I bought my Bo. However I was very confident in the people involved, the Seller Dan R. A BTer, PMC to the PPI, many BT folks saw it at PMC's hangar. We made the deal, there was a long list of squawks that I shared with the seller and there a a months delay in delivery/closing due to a missing W&B and 337 for a radio install. Once that was cleaned up Mike B. Went to Palm Springs and picked it up took it back to PMC who took care of a few things. Then Mike flew it to TN. First time I saw it was on the ramp in Dayton. It was better than expected. Also the owner had taken care of 90% of the squawk sheet (the little stuff missing hardwear, postlights out, Dan and his partner were great to work with.

So just find folks you trust.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 02:10 

Post Likes: +1282
Aircraft: F8L Falco

Like Steve Pierce from SC.org. Knowledgeable, straight shooter, trustworthy. If he can't do it, he'll send you to someone that can.
If you're gonna spend $100K, INVEST in a good pre-buy. It will be money well spent, often saves you far more than it cost.

George

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 07:37 

Like Steve Pierce from SC.org. Knowledgeable, straight shooter, trustworthy. If he can't do it, he'll send you to someone that can.
If you're gonna spend $100K, INVEST in a good pre-buy. It will be money well spent, often saves you far more than it cost.

George

Is he the SC version of PMC? Where's he located?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 09:22 

Post Likes: +1282
Aircraft: F8L Falco
Is he the SC version of PMC? Where's he located?

Sorry, not familiar with "PMC".

You'll find Steve on SC.org. He's from Graham, TX. http://www.pierceaero.net/

George

Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next