banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 09:53 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Help Me Think Through This Supercub Thing
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 08:06 

Post Likes: +11412
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
JGG, you're right. A Supercub is a motorcycle.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 08:49 

Post Likes: +22925
Aircraft: A33
Username Protected wrote:

I can't accept that, because it would mean that a Champ or J3 is a moped. And i won't ride a moped.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 09:05 

Post Likes: +11412
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7

I can't accept that, because it would mean that a Champ or J3 is a moped. And i won't ride a moped.

Like the old joke: fun to ride till your friends see you! :D

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 10:44 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9569
Aircraft: 1964 Bonanza S35
I'm there with the A36 and 182. The 182 comes close enough on the cross country flights to not need the extra hangar/insurance/maintenance bills of the A36.

Now that I have a 182 again and have flown it some certain things about it are annoying. I have the narrow body which does factor into it.

1.) Since Cessna's have poorly made seat rails you have to have a secondary seat stop. Ours has the red doo hickey with the knob on top that slides up and down the rail. It would be great if I could actually reach the rail between the seats without great effort. Narrow body means no room between the seats. Requires way too much effort to do this after getting in and prior to getting out. Potential safety issue in an emergency. Cannot do it fast.

2.) There's no where to put anything. I have pockets, shelves and bins everywhere in the Bonanza. The rear seat footwell means nothing can roll or slide back to the rear. In the 182 there is no glove box, no front sidewall pockets and only the two seat back pockets. That and putting stuff on the back seat.

All that and the early Cessna's have very little useful load. Ours is 850 pounds. Fill it with 55 gallons of gas(that's right, small tanks even) and 3 guys in the plane puts you over gross.

tinyurl.com/35som8p

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 10:49 

Post Likes: +12432
Aircraft: C182
Scott, I had a 1958 182B, and the narrow cabin was ... uncomfortable.

My '67 K model is 4 inches wider. Much better! I haven't done it, but you can get a storage unit to go between the front seats.

I think the max gross weight increased with a couple of models after mine.

When the Baron sells, I'll probably be looking for a nice IFR Skylane for down here.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 11:26 

Post Likes: +10524
Aircraft: 182
I'm there with the A36 and 182. The 182 comes close enough on the cross country flights to not need the extra hangar/insurance/maintenance bills of the A36.

Now that I have a 182 again and have flown it some certain things about it are annoying. I have the narrow body which does factor into it.

1.) Since Cessna's have poorly made seat rails you have to have a secondary seat stop. Ours has the red doo hickey with the knob on top that slides up and down the rail. It would be great if I could actually reach the rail between the seats without great effort. Narrow body means no room between the seats. Requires way too much effort to do this after getting in and prior to getting out. Potential safety issue in an emergency. Cannot do it fast.

2.) There's no where to put anything. I have pockets, shelves and bins everywhere in the Bonanza. The rear seat footwell means nothing can roll or slide back to the rear. In the 182 there is no glove box, no front sidewall pockets and only the two seat back pockets. That and putting stuff on the back seat.

All that and the early Cessna's have very little useful load. Ours is 850 pounds. Fill it with 55 gallons of gas(that's right, small tanks even) and 3 guys in the plane puts you over gross.

The baggage extension mod solves all of the storage issues. I stuff all manner of crap back there that only gets touched when I get stuck somewhere.... tent, sleeping bags, tools etc. Great mod.
The jump seats are another nice mod. I only need seats back there once in 50 flights so its a big empty cavern back there most of the time.
That's weird about your glove boxes and pockets. In my 61 D model, I have TWO glove boxes and TWO front sidewall pockets in addition to seat back pockets. Cessna must have gotten the message since your production model.
The early ones are narrower. 5 inches narrower I believe. That can get close with a couple of big guys in the front........ lighter though... and the early ones have the Johnson bar flaps which I think is a really nice advantage. I love those flaps. Plusses and minus's for the narrow body.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 11:45 

WWW  Profile

I haven't done it, but you can get a storage unit to go between the front seats.

I had that with my other 182, really nice and an arm rest to boot. But you can't get them for the narrow bodies.

tinyurl.com/35som8p

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 11:50 

WWW  Profile

The baggage extension mod solves all of the storage issues. I stuff all manner of crap back there that only gets touched when I get stuck somewhere.... tent, sleeping bags, tools etc. Great mod.

We want to do that as well but that's not really the main issue. All the stuff I use every flight has a spot in the Bo. Glasses case, phone, extra charging cords, various power charts, small flashlight. Stuff like that.

Quote:
That's weird about your glove boxes and pockets. In my 61 D model, I have TWO glove boxes and TWO front sidewall pockets in addition to seat back pockets.

I think what happened here is previous owners removed those. Glove box went away with the new panel. Same for the sidewall pockets when the interior got redone.

tinyurl.com/35som8p

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 12:01 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +805
Aircraft: SR22

The Cub in any form is a low and slow, window open to the breeze, "lookin' at stuff close up" kind of airplane. The 180/185 is a load carrying go somewhere kind of airplane.

The Cub is dirt simple to fly and uncomfortable as hell for more than one hour in the seat.

This is spot on, except I would add that a 180HP PA18 can carry a lot of load. But it really is a 1 hour of fun at a time kind of plane.

AG

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 12:02 

Post Likes: +1155
Aircraft: C 210

Im not sure if they are still offering it but I'm pretty sure Cessna was supplying the inertial reel style seat stop kit for free in the past. Ive read complaints from others but so far I have none, it is locked and unlocked with the original lever that allows to the seat to slide forward and aft so you wouldnt even know its there if you didnt look for it. I can understand wanting a mechanical device behind the seat though. I do a "seat locked" check on pre flight. Ive also heard about the seat rail issues but mine are 53 years old and are still in great shape. :shrug:

Ive never seen a 182 (or any cessna) without a glove box, must be a narrow body thing, good to know. My main complaint in my 210 interior (and most cessna's) is no cup holders. Edit: Just saw your later post saying the prev owner removed it. That makes sense.

Ive never heard anyone complain about a 182's load carrying ability lol. 850 lb does sound pretty low but I havent flown a narrow body 182. Yours must have a lot equipment/a heavy interior? Im sure we've all heard someone say "if it fits it'll fly" and while I dont agree with that philosophy, Ive seen people that obviously do load them to the gills and take off in 100 deg heat with no problems. :bugeye:

I love the 182.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 12:20 

Post Likes: +10524
Aircraft: 182
Quote:
Ive never heard anyone complain about a 182's load carrying ability lol. 850 lb does sound pretty low but I havent flown a narrow body 182. Yours must have a lot equipment/a heavy interior? Im sure we've all heard someone say "if it fits it'll fly" and while I dont agree with that philosophy, Ive seen people that obviously do load them to the gills and take off in 100 deg heat with no problems.

Yep..... through the years, the max gross has grown on the plane as the plane's empty weight grew.
Our 61D model max gross is 2650. That slowly progressed through 2800 then 2950 then 3100.
Of course, nothing aerodynamically really changed on the plane except the fuselage got bigger. Same engine etc.
Short of absurdity, I've never seen anybody worry about max gross in a 182. "if it will go in, it will fly" was coined for the 182.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 12:51 

Post Likes: +4018
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
You know your over gross or CG in a 182 when you pull mixture and the tail sits down on the ramp. ;)

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 12:53 

WWW  Profile

Ive never heard anyone complain about a 182's load carrying ability lol. 850 lb does sound pretty low but I havent flown a narrow body 182. Yours must have a lot equipment/a heavy interior?

Equipment we have, in spades. We are at 1794 empty with all seats in. The 67 182 I used to have had 645 left over after full 80 gallons tanks.

Attachment:
12-31.jpg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

tinyurl.com/35som8p

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 12:59 

Post Likes: +1155
Aircraft: C 210
Ive never heard anyone complain about a 182's load carrying ability lol. 850 lb does sound pretty low but I havent flown a narrow body 182. Yours must have a lot equipment/a heavy interior?

Equipment we have, in spades. We are at 1794 empty with all seats in. The 67 182 I used to have had 645 left over after full 80 gallons tanks.

Attachment:
12-31.jpg

Wow! That looks like a very nice 182. :thumbup: Love the panel.

Aren't the narrow 182's a bit faster? If you don't mind me asking, what do you typically plan on for cruise?

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 13:00 

Post Likes: +22925
Aircraft: A33
Jay, don't forget to ask about tire size if you start talking cruise speeds

Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next