banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 19:30 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Help Me Think Through This Supercub Thing
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 09:02 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Stuart,

I think you are making this far too difficult. If you want "a Cub", you are looking at one of the simplest airplanes ever made. An experienced "layman" Cub aficionado can evaluate one in a couple of hours. It's either there or not. It's either broke, or not. 90% of the airplanes discussed on this thread are not anymore "Cubs" than a Dale Earnhart Jr's Nascar racer is a Chevy Impala.

Buy a "Cub", a 65 horse or a 90 horse and enjoy it. A 150 horsepower Super Cub will broaden your utility, but won't add one whit to the simple pleasure of flying a "Cub", low and slow, on a warm sunny afternoon.

Not sure which "Cub' you want for the long run? Doesn't matter because you won't know until you have owned one. So, follow Jim Cear's advice and buy the most re-sellable one you can find. Buy it, fly it, and then, if you want some super performing fake "knock off" like a Carbon Cub, sell the real "Cub" and buy that.

John Grady

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 09:41 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1351
Company: Progress Technical. LLC
Aircraft: B-55
Stuart,

If you're still looking in June, come to Sentimental Journey at the birthplace of Piper, KLHV. You can see most every Cub type and variant you've ever thought about. I'd be happy to show you my EX-2 and take you for a ride. You can tour the Piper museum, maybe camp a day and head back.

It's not a huge show, maybe 80-100 aircraft, but it will help make up your mind. Like all things Cub related, the pace is well, slow. Air ops are constant as the approach isn't scary with traffic.

There are always a bunch of them are for sale, too. So you might find something.

--paul

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 11:08 

Paul,

I just looked up the Sentimental Journey fly in. I might try to fold that in to a visit with the children in D.C., in the A* of course.

Friday might be a good day. I assume there are no issues with parking for the A*.

John Grady

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 11:26 

Post Likes: +104
Aircraft: TN V35B, Husky A-1B
Username Protected wrote:

-- $150k would buy One Amazing Supercub, but I'd be afraid of scratching it if I landed in the bean fields. Overall, prices right now look stable or even down a little from last summer.

-- Huskys cost a little more than comparable Supercubs. They might not land or take off quite as short, but they're much faster. They also have a cool dog on the tail.

-- Citabria, Decathlon, modded PA-12, blah, blah, blah.....this is about Supercubs. They're like Harleys. Or Bonanzas, come to think of it!

I get the uncertainty. When I went searching for a tandem seat tailwheel airplane my thinking was all about Sunday afternoon low and slow sight seeing and learning new flying skills. I was pretty sure a Citabria was what I was looking for. The opportunity to buy a local Husky at a very reasonable price came up unexpectedly, and I'm sure glad it did. For only a little more that good 7GCBC would have cost I ended up with a capable bush plane that took me, a passenger, and camping gear to the arctic coast this summer, gets me on an off my favourite river gravel bars, and took me to this glacier last weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SnhYkwZLJA&t=179s

Being able to make 300 nm return trips to wilderness destinations is more valuable to me than winning a STOL competition. I can launch my VG equipped 1999 A-1B in 300' at gross and get it down and stopped in < 500', and I'm no expert bush pilot. Just a Bo driver with a couple hundred Husky hours and a huge grin.

This is probably going to be a clearer for you once you decide if you want your taildragger for Sunday sight seeing, for adventure and exploring, or so you can fawn over that Super Cub you've always wanted. Not the same itches. Not the same scratches. No wrong answers.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 14:17 

Post Likes: +11353
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7

This is probably going to be a clearer for you once you decide if you want your taildragger for Sunday sight seeing, for adventure and exploring, or so you can fawn over that Super Cub you've always wanted. Not the same itches. Not the same scratches. No wrong answers.

Enjoy!

The mission: $100 burgers, local sunsets, Mississippi River gravel bars, North Fox Island, occasional Smoky Mountain camping, and one awesome trip to Alaska. The Bonanza might actually be a better choice for the Alaska trip.

A Husky would certainly do this as well as a SC. The A-1s are pretty skimpy on Useful Load and the Bs and Cs might challenge the budget. But I should probably give them a closer look.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 16:53 

Stuart,

I will suggest again that you buy "a Cub". Fly it, enjoy it, and if not what you want, do something different.

My very good friend, Wayne Roberts, also a good friend of Aubie Pearman and others hereon, has a Reed Clip Wing Cub. He told me that he is going to sell it, but has not yet put it on the market. It is a standard certificate, not experimental, and has a 85 horse engine. Wayne bought it from Aero English, a noted airman/gentleman from Amory, MS, who has simply gotten too old to enjoy it. Aubie and his 14 year old son have flown it a good bit. The airplane is hangared here at KGNF.

Don't let the clip wing scare you off. I can barely tell any difference in the performance from my modified J-3/PA-11.

Wayne said you can call him, I will PM his cell. If nothing else, come down and fly his and mine and get a better idea of what might melt your butter.

John Grady

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 20:14 

Post Likes: +424
Aircraft: baron 58
Agree with John. Buy one u can resale and enjoy it

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 21:19 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1351
Company: Progress Technical. LLC
Aircraft: B-55
Paul,

I just looked up the Sentimental Journey fly in. I might try to fold that in to a visit with the children in D.C., in the A* of course.

Friday might be a good day. I assume there are no issues with parking for the A*.

John Grady

John,

The FBO seems to have lots of pavement, but I would call ahead. I'll be over on the other side of the airport in the grass with the Cub. I did fly up there one year in the Deb and I think they had me in a field, so call ahead is the way to go.

Give me a shout if you decide to stop by in that other thing you fly ;)

--paul

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 22:54 

Post Likes: +60
Aircraft: V35B/Super Cub
Flying a Super Cub is a special experience. I got interested in buying one after checking out some fly fishing spots while riding motorcycles with some buddies and thought "Hey, as a pilot I could fly into some of theses spots if I just had the right airplane!" Watched a bunch of "Big Rocks, Long Props" videos and was totally hooked.

I had the same problem finding a quality Super Cub. Searched on the web and in Trade-A-Plane for almost a year. Ended up finding one that was in the process of being rebuilt at CubCrafters in Yakima, WA. They are the real deal. Not, cheap, but worth it in my opinion. I couldn't afford a Carbon Cub, X-Cub, or the likes, so I ended up with a Super Cub rebuilt by them. I love the airplane. Here's an example of a Super Cub they had for sale: http://cubcrafters.com/c/inventory/n411 ... ubcrafters. Or check out their website at Cubcrafters.com.

You should definately get some tail wheel specific training too. The company I used to work for TAC Aero (tacero.com) is a great resource. :thumbup:

Truth be told, if I had to pick between the Bonanza and the cub, I'd pick the Super Cub.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 21:38 

Post Likes: +623
Aircraft: C180

Enjoy!

The mission: $100 burgers, local sunsets, Mississippi River gravel bars, North Fox Island, occasional Smoky Mountain camping, and one awesome trip to Alaska. The Bonanza might actually be a better choice for the Alaska trip.

A Husky would certainly do this as well as a SC. The A-1s are pretty skimpy on Useful Load and the Bs and Cs might challenge the budget. But I should probably give them a closer look.

Buddy in Elkhart has 2 husky's.
He does beaver island fox island cadillac all the local lakes on skis in the winter. Its a great airplane for low and slow and for GETTING to where the adventure is.

You want to go from Indy to Fox Island that's a long haul you'll be happy to have a husky.

My 180 partner has 85 hp J3 and you're practically limited to 60 miles range unless you want your $100 burger to take half the day. J3's are VERY local airplanes.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 23:41 

Post Likes: +104
Aircraft: TN V35B, Husky A-1B
It’s really the CS prop that turns the Husky into a traveling, rather than local, bush plane. I’m sure the same would be true of the Scout too. On 31” bushwheels, or skis, I pull the power back to 6 gph and make 90 KTAS. That’s very useful range on 50 gallons of fuel. I can understand how that may not be what some want in a tandem seat tail dragger, but for exploring the Canadian north it’s great.

Last edited on 20 Mar 2018, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 07:14 

The Super Cub shown by Scott at Cubcrafters was a steal at 135k. Its empty weight was almost as much as the gross on my Cub. With the huge area of the Cub wing, that doesn't seem to make much difference in stall speed or slow speed capability.

John Grady

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 12:18 

Post Likes: +1936
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
Well, as long you're putting Huskies into the mix, don't rule out the Birddogs. I don't have much experience with mine yet so I can't contribute much. For now I'm figuring on 115MPH at about 8 gallons per hour but I'm fine tuning those numbers. Short field performance is stellar but I haven't explored that part of the envelope. Useful load for mine is about 750 pounds with lots of space in the cockpit for two people and bags. Total fuel is 40 gallons in two wing tanks.

I've owned a few fabric airplanes and I've got nothing against them. More fabric covered airplanes are in my future but I have to say that an all aluminum air frame is just easier to live with.

Lots of info here:
https://cessnabirddog.org/

You can even order a rebuilt one from Airrepair or Noyes

http://www.airrepairinc.com/cessna-l-19.html

http://www.birddogsbynoyes.com/

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 15:43 

Post Likes: +173
Aircraft: PA-18 & 206
http://www.mccreeryaviation.com/invento ... id=67&lo=4

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 16:31 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +805
Aircraft: SR22
if you want some super performing fake "knock off" like a Carbon Cub, sell the real "Cub" and buy that.

I was liking your post until I read this. I had a J3 and then the Carbon Cub. A natural progression in my experience. Same handling and nostalgia but with a lot of power, great finishes, and nice avionics.

AG

Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next