Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Pre Pre-buy
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 14:52 

Post Likes: +22924
Aircraft: A33
Username Protected wrote:
Adam, with the above in mind, are you saying that you'd let someone take your airplane to his mechanic hundreds of miles away, keep if for several weeks while he removed the interior/engine parts and with no supervision or input?

I'm just thinking that process entails considerable risk to you, with little protection . . .

not adam, and no for me. If you want to inspect my airplane you are free to disassemble as much as you want down to major structural items, and take as much time as you like. But you'll do it in my hangar. Bring your mechanic and I'll loan you all the tools, jacks, etc you could ever want. But the airplane doesn't leave my hangar until you buy it.

Post subject: Re: What do you do before a pre-buy inspection?
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 15:00 

Post Likes: +531
We are on the same page Jeff, but I'm seeing more of this "I'll do an annual at my favorite shop" and in fact I lost a sale last month because I wouldn't let him take my plane 3 states away for two weeks for an annual. He then replied he felt I was hiding something . . .

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 15:01 

Post Likes: +1067
not adam, and no for me. If you want to inspect my airplane you are free to disassemble as much as you want down to major structural items, and take as much time as you like. But you'll do it in my hangar. Bring your mechanic and I'll loan you all the tools, jacks, etc you could ever want. But the airplane doesn't leave my hangar until you buy it.

We essentially went the Annual then Pre-buy route. Annual is done in owner's Mechanic's hangar, my mechanic is going there to do an extensive pre-buy while the airplane is apart. Best use of time, multiple eyes. I believe it'll shake out a pretty good aircraft.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 15:03 

Post Likes: +1067
We are on the same page Jeff, but I'm seeing more of this "I'll do an annual at my favorite shop" and in fact I lost a sale last month because I wouldn't let him take my plane 3 states away for two weeks for an annual. He then replied he felt I was hiding something . . .

I wouldn't expect an owner to let his airplane go far away for an annual, but I'd halfway expect it for a pre-buy based on a pretty strong agreement stating a promissory provision that the airplane, less a significant maintenance event, is sold to the buyer.

It's just easier to fly a mechanic in though either way. And that's the route I chose. If the owner balked at my mechanic coming in, yeah, there's a gremlin somewhere and I'm out.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 18:07 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7324
Company: Jet Acquisitions

I wouldn't expect an owner to let his airplane go far away for an annual, but I'd halfway expect it for a pre-buy based on a pretty strong agreement stating a promissory provision that the airplane, less a significant maintenance event, is sold to the buyer.

It's just easier to fly a mechanic in though either way. And that's the route I chose. If the owner balked at my mechanic coming in, yeah, there's a gremlin somewhere and I'm out.

The where is always a point of negotiation, I sold piston aircraft for a few years and it was always a don't take it here, do it at my place discussion. Everything we do now is turbine and it's pretty rare for an owner to expect the airplane to be inspected in his hangar or at his maintenance facility. It is common to not expect to take it to a Citation Service Center, Beech Wichita, etc.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 18:08 

WWW  Profile

I'd add a bit more detail to the logbook review. First, most turbines have a maintenance tracker which is basically a summary of all the required inspections and other recurring MX showing when it was last done and when the next task is due. When I bought my Conquest, I went totally off that. The problem is the maintenance tracker is not always accurate. The only way to really know is to go through the logs and read every entry carefully which takes hours and gets really tedious especially when you can't read the handwritten entry or when the entires are really vague. For example the MX tracker said both starter generators were overhauled in the last 100 hours. I started having a problem with one and that got me to dig into the logs. It turns out neither SG was done when the tracker said it was and they were both well overdue for overhaul. On top of that, the tracker had the wrong serial number SGs. And the MX tracker was generated by Yingling in 2015 and my pre buy was by Weststar - neither shop noticed the error and those are supposedly top notch shops. So for the logbook review I would add that someone needs to identify the key components (engines, SGs, FCUs, governors, props, landing gear, etc) and go through the logs to verify the MX was properly recorded, the serial numbers are correct, and at a minimum there is a note of who did the work and on what work order (an 8130 copy is better). It's a time consuming, tedious, PIA but worth it.

AGREED!!!

And even though the shop gets paid to look at the logbooks from a maintenance standpoint, I still go over them before we even move the airplane to pre-buy... page by page.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 18:15 

WWW  Profile

I am going through all this right now. Pre-buy (mechanical part) starts Monday. I didn't have anyone really helping besides what I picked up here and what I consider to be somewhat normal in acquiring farm equipment. :lol:

Steps in order:
-Get the cash and insurance figured out. Insurance lined up on type of aircraft and quote for what amount of money you're willing to spend. Repeat, cash needs to be in hand. Don't waste anyone's time, be serious. Go from there. You may find insurance dictates the type of plane you purchase. You may not.

-Start looking. Find 3-4 aircraft you have interest in and call. Ask all the basic questions. If you like what you hear, request logs. If logs aren't scanned or available, walk away. Any sales pitch on why this airplane is fantastic is limited only to foundational stuff. New paint? ok. Was flown by a guy that... nope, don't care. I kept a document on my computer outlining all the features, times, whatever.

-Take a rough look through the logs for any big items, I wanted to be the gatekeeper for the mechanic down the road. I don't want him to go through the logs (while I'm paying for him to do so) and find out, "Hey, did you know this thing has a new wing from a wreck?"

-Pick your top 2-3 airplanes and get a block for the price from the owner/broker based on your belief of value. "Pending pre-buy, I'd like to buy this plane around $150-160k." This is where you find out who wants to sell, who is realistic, etc. And it may be you that needs a wake-up call. :dance:

You can feel free to throw some kickers in there outlining at what level you'll overlook things vs. what you consider deal breakers or price concessions. My goal here was to eliminate any future belly aching. Ensuring everyone knew what I was going to do/say depending on the issues found. No surprises from me (that's all I can control).

-If it works, pick the best deal in your eyes (and deal isn't totally price driven). Things like an owner willing to work with you in a harmonious way to ensure all parties are happy has an intangible price.

Send it off to pre-buy and hopefully you get a nice airplane (that's where I'm at now).

Contracts and all that is a person by person action. That's up to the individual. Also, title/lien search, AD/SB compliance was all done before pre-buy took effect.

That's a good process, and pretty close to what we do.

Here's a list of do's and don'ts I published, again more geared towards turbines. https://jetacquisitions.blogspot.com/20 ... ivate.html

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 18:52 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG
When I sold my Bonanza I let the buyer take it a few states away for his pre-buy. We just had it in the contract that it was at his expense to get the airplane back to me if he wasn't pleased.

I never saw her again. :sad:

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 18:56 

Post Likes: +4540
Aircraft: 1962 Bonanza P35
When I sold my Bonanza I let the buyer take it a few states away for his pre-buy. We just had it in the contract that it was at his expense to get the airplane back to me if he wasn't pleased.

I never saw her again. :sad:

I'll trade you my Bonanza for your Pilatus if you'd like

ABS Lifetime Member
EAA Lifetime Member

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 17:37 

Post Likes: +118
Company: Innovation Two
Aircraft: Piper PA 60
You don't buy aircraft (unless you are getting a new one). Actually you buy the log books - with some affiliated hardware - 5,000 pounds of metal surrounding an oil leak.

Have someone you trust look over the logs carefully.

Bob.Keeping@gmail.com

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 17:50 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9094
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza

And there is no standard for a "pre-buy". Better to do an annual with a trusted shop, then you know what you got.

Adam, with the above in mind, are you saying that you'd let someone take your airplane to his mechanic hundreds of miles away, keep if for several weeks while he removed the interior/engine parts and with no supervision or input?

I'm just thinking that process entails considerable risk to you, with little protection . . .

Nope, wouldn't do that. When I sold my Baron I discussed with the buyer and he wanted an annual as the prebuy. I gave him a choice of 3 shops I was comfortable with which were all close to me and let him choose. After calling my shop he went with them, because they knew the airplane the best. Obviously that worked well for me but there were no short cuts taken on the annual. I wanted the buyer to get a great plane in great condition and that's what he got. I did an annual as well when I bought the T-bone.

A good thorough visual inspection and test flight, a review of the logs and looking around the plane with a person experienced in the model, plus an annual... I'm not sure what more you could want from a pre-buy.

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2