Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: CAPS Activation on Ground at LYH
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 14:17 

Post Likes: +23625
Aircraft: Prior C310,BE33,SR22
Username Protected wrote:
Are we really going to have another Cirrus critiquing thread on BeechTalk? :scratch:

Gosh Arlen, do you think we need one?

Maybe it is "unfair" to comment on the Cirrus, but there never seems to be a shortage of critiques regarding tail wag, CG or structural issues on certain other aircraft. :cheers:

The problem with Cirrus threads around here is that the same (inaccurate) rumors and Old Wives' Tales about the Cirrus turn up in each thread, over and over. I know I could ignore them, but I just don't like to see false info tossed out there. Yes, it's a personal problem of mine... :eek:

Truth is.....I like the Cirrus, and I liked the other 8 planes I've owned too. Right now I like this old Twin Cessna. :thumbup: Every plane has its good and not-so-good characteristics.
- Mars Bonfire

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 15:48 

Post Likes: +531
Quote:
The problem with Cirrus threads around here is that the same (inaccurate) rumors and Old Wives' Tales about the Cirrus turn up in each thread, over and over. I know I could ignore them, but I just don't like to see false info tossed out there. Yes, it's a personal problem of mine...

What you may call an inaccurate rumor may also be referred to as unflattering fact or unpleasant reality . . . The costs of airplane ownership are NOT rumors, they are reality, the cirrus just more so, with the cost of repacking the chute something more substantial than an old wives tale. Your personal problems not withstanding, the costs do add up.

Flaming others won't make things less expensive

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 16:12 

Post Likes: +5595
Aircraft: Prusinski'ing
Quote:
The problem with Cirrus threads around here is that the same (inaccurate) rumors and Old Wives' Tales about the Cirrus turn up in each thread, over and over. I know I could ignore them, but I just don't like to see false info tossed out there. Yes, it's a personal problem of mine...

The costs of airplane ownership are NOT rumors, they are reality, the cirrus just more so, with the cost of repacking the chute something more substantial than an old wives tale.

(snipped out the shitty half)

10 grand every ten years is cheaper than a second engine at nearly any utilization level, and I'd consider it an equivalent level of safety.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 16:19 

Post Likes: +1157
Aircraft: C 210

10 grand every ten years is cheaper than a second engine at nearly any utilization level, and I'd consider it an equivalent level of safety.

Ive recently read where people are paying 15-16 AMU for a repack. Has it really gone up 50% so quickly?

As far as equivalent level of safety compared to a twin, I'm not convinced but then again I've never had either type.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 17:15 

Post Likes: +14665
Aircraft: Prior SR22T,V35B,182

Ive recently read where people are paying 15-16 AMU for a repack. Has it really gone up 50% so quickly?

As far as equivalent level of safety compared to a twin, I'm not convinced but then again I've never had either type.

At the risk of saying what has been said literally hundreds of times on here, I'll address the second statement first:

In statistics, a piston is a piston. Twin is statistically as fatal as a single in the piston lines. I'm not comparing ACCIDENTS; just fatalities. So before it's said how many twins don't get reported, all fatal accidents are.

Can a twin be safer? Yes. But, on average, it is not. Which means if you're average, your chances are below average, because the guys that train often and fly a lot, are bringing it home when they need to.

The Cirrus is much safer over the last, what, 5 or 6 years? Before that, despite rumors to the contrary, it was about average.

Now, the first statement/question: The current higher cost is what most repacks are THIS time, because they MUST be converted to the electronic ignition.

Is it worth it? That's a personal question, and could have a litany of parameters. Not the least is can you afford it, or does it even meet your mission (number of seats or UL, e.g.).

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 17:19 

Post Likes: +1157
Aircraft: C 210

At the risk of saying what has been said literally hundreds of times on here, I'll address the second statement first:

In statistics, a piston is a piston. Twin is statistically as fatal as a single in the piston lines. I'm not comparing ACCIDENTS; just fatalities. So before it's said how many twins don't get reported, all fatal accidents are.

Can a twin be safer? Yes. But, on average, it is not. Which means if you're average, your chances are below average, because the guys that train often and fly a lot, are bringing it home when they need to.

The Cirrus is much safer over the last, what, 5 or 6 years? Before that, despite rumors to the contrary, it was about average.

Now, the first statement/question: The current higher cost is what most repacks are THIS time, because they MUST be converted to the electronic ignition.

Is it worth it? That's a personal question, and could have a litany of parameters. Not the least is can you afford it, or does it even meet your mission (number of seats or UL, e.g.).

Thank you Nate, that makes sense it is not the "same" repack this time around. Also its not like the costs of maintaining a second engine are staying the same...

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 17:27 

Post Likes: +8
Aircraft: F33A, BE23
I handled an in-flight lightning strike claim on a Cirrus and the rocket didn't fire, but the pilot told me he was ready to pull when suddenly he popped out the other side of the cell. The prop looked like sharks teeth. :ohno:

Did I understand you right that lightning made a prop look like sharks teeth??

What is the physical process that causes such a thing?? I'm picturing maaaaaaybe melted prop, but I'm having trouble believing that's even possible from just a strike.

You sure the claimant didn't turn his Cirrus into a lawnmower and hit it with the hose before calling you? :D

I have seen the aftermath of an in-flight lightning strike also; The one looks like it hit tail and exited out propellers and flaps. Burned and took chunks out in a number of places. New engines needed, props, avionics, antennas, most of the bearings throughout the aircraft. (just inspecting items, access was easier to replace) Think of high current traveling the entire aircraft through various material can do quite the number arcing across any gaps, magnetizing and all sorts of havoc. Amazing what a certified aircraft is built to take and continue flying. I would think a hit on the ground it could be much much worse because of the possible path directly to ground.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 22:06 

Post Likes: +77
Aircraft: G1000 182
Insofar as costs, I recently sold my 182 and am now driving a G1000 SR22. It's a bit more than the 182 in every regard...

is that airframe related, or it because as a cirrus owner you had to increase your starbucks consumption to fit in ?

A bit of both...the built in satellite phone is around $100 per month (I unexpectedly use it ALL the time) for airtime and now that I'm Too Important to do lots of line-related things my FBO-owned hangar with "free" tows to and from the ramp costs significantly more. Those are both starbuckian costs but the other Cirrus guys would look down on me if they caught me opening my own hangar door so I pay the premium.

But most of the other increases are from a higher hull value and bigger engine burning more gas.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 22:33 

Post Likes: +6929
Aircraft: Debonair C33A
Are we really going to have another Cirrus critiquing thread on BeechTalk? :scratch:

When I read Cirrus threads on BT, I feel like I am watching CNN and the topic is "Trump". :duck:

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 06:07 

Post Likes: +1023
Aircraft: 1984 A36 (TAT TN)
When I read Cirrus threads on BT, I feel like I am watching CNN and the topic is "Trump". :duck:

You can always change your channel to Fox News. Or check out COPA. No need to suffer!

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 00:17 

Post Likes: +6929
Aircraft: Debonair C33A
You can always change your channel to Fox News. Or check out COPA. No need to suffer!

I've never been on COPA, but I would be really surprised if COPA members exhibited the same level of disdain for Beech aircraft as a lot of folks here seem to have for Cirrus.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 07:54 

Post Likes: +5307
Aircraft: PA32RT-300T
If you guys are looking to bash another brand, you could tell me how my Piper T tail lance is inferior and basically worthless. Handles terribly, undervalued, undesirable and so on.

While this goes on, I'll go load my family of five and try to get up to gross with full bags and be in the Bahamas in 3 hours.

:rofl: :popcorn: :dancing: :rock:

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 08:45 

Post Likes: +1263
Aircraft: Malibu PA46-310P

I've never been on COPA, but I would be really surprised if COPA members exhibited the same level of disdain for Beech aircraft as a lot of folks here seem to have for Cirrus.

I spent a lot of time on COPA when looking at a Cirrus. It is an excellent forum and well laid out. Their members are intelligent and articulate. BT just seems to have so many experts in every aspect of aviation. You would never see a 8 page thread about Cessna cabin class twins on COPA. BT is about a lot more that beechcraft, COPA is comfortable in their nest.
Kevin

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 13:15 

Post Likes: +13586
Aircraft: TU-104

Is there any piston twin with a fatal accident rate that is even comparable to the Cirrus combination of chute plus training?

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 13:22 

Post Likes: +11415
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
I'm still waiting to see the better quality video!

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next