do I need a handler?
tips appreciated

txs

Post subject: Re: guadalajara
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 14:55 

Post Likes: +598
Company: Docking Drawer
Aircraft: C425
I would suggest Carribbean Sky Tours. Rick Gardener. rick@caribbeanskytours.com They have two different levels of service. One is a full service package with a handler, etc. You'll have no problems. The other is a DIY type of service which of course costs less. But they give you a lot of insight into the airports you plan to use, customs, etc. If you've never flown into MEX I would highly recommend it. I will say though they are not the most responsive bunch. You will have to chase them a bit. Have fun.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 15:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3552
Company: AssuredPartners Aerospace Phx.
Aircraft: IAR823, LrJet, 240Z
First trips to Mexico are always a learning curve.
hmmm, actually now that I think about it every trip to Mexico is a learning curve.

I know we went to some steak place there and I had by far one of the best steaks of my life. If you are in to that sort of thing... I can try and find out what it was.

TJ

C: 602-628-2701

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 16:38 

Post Likes: +4780
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
I second the Caribbean Sky Tours. Flying to Mexico is super easy. Just follow the cook book and be patient with the customs people. Friendly, cheap fuel, cheaper fees than the Bahamas, bring Pesos.

Mike

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 18:04 

Post Likes: +1488
Aircraft: F33A,B50,7GCAA,C90
I will add a 3rd for Caribbean Sky Tours.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 00:43 

Post Likes: +256
Coming from the north you can land anywhere in Mexico. Coming from the south you can go into Cozumel or Tapachula.
Make sure your insurance has whatever coverage they need. Las time I was there they came up with something like 2,500 minimum wages. Turned out I was covered.
Also, try to bring pesos, cash dollars are supposedly not accepted by the fuel truck. They only take Amex credit card. Don't know if this has changed.
Bring photocopies of your aircraft papers ( airworthiness, insurance etc.). They seem to love Photocopies.
4 stamps is the magic number....one to close your flight plan. One to open your new flight plan, one for your "gen dec" and a fourth one I can't remember.
The one time permit costs as much as a year permit. It expires every years end.

Have fun and be patient.

Rgs

Patrick

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 11:26 

Post Likes: +157
Aircraft: PA-27 Turbo
Does MX accept basic med privileges?

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 12:19 

Post Likes: +1137
Aircraft: C 210
My Mexico experience is with Baja only, but I doubt anything is much different on the mainland and I go at least a few times per year.

Yep taking pesos with you is best. In Baja I haven't found an airport that wont take USD but pesos make it easier when a language barrier arises and it should also save you some money. I have found that most places get "creative" with the exchange rate and having pesos can help avoid paying the gringo price. This may be more of a Baja thing since they get a lot of US tourists.

I agree with everything Patrick said, photocopies of your pilot and aircraft documents are convenient at both the Mex and US sides. I have one for pilot docs and a separate sheet for aircraft docs.

The stamps previously discussed are what you need to get on your paperwork when you arrive and depart from an airport in Mexico. Its typically the "airport desk" to file or close your flight plan, the Comandante to approve them, Immigration, and Customs. Its not exactly a standardized process in my experience but they have always been helpful and told me which one is needed next. Just be prepared to waste some time going from office to office as directed.

Its all easier and less stressful than it sounds. My biggest concern is always keeping the US customs guys happy, as they're the picky ones that threaten $5000 fines for any offense. I think its always a good idea to call them where you will be clearing to make sure they have your EAPIS on file and will be available when you land.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 14:41 

Post Likes: +2213
Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
Username Protected wrote:
Does MX accept basic med privileges?

Yes it does

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 14:45 

going to Guadalajara for a birthday party from texas
my insurance covers mexico
any tips never been in Guadalajara
do I need a handler?
tips appreciated

txs

Hello Andes,

I would suggest you clear customs and immigration + get your entry permit (for the plane) anywhere except MMGL. Coming from Texas, MMAN is a very good option (Aeropuerto del Norte in Monterrey).

MMGL is an example of privatization in the aviation industry gone awry - MMGL is run by GAP (a private company), and you will pay dearly if you want to clear there (like nearly 800 USD). Once inside Mexico and arriving as a domestic flight, the cost will be steep but more reasonable. You do not need any kind of handler, and at MMAN the airport staff make it extremely easy to clear and get all you need.

When in MMGL, although I typically don't suggest FBO's, I would suggest you park at Aerotron. PM me if you have any other questions or want more help.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 17:04 

Post Likes: +53
Aircraft: Lancair evolution
thanks to all
interesting suggestion to land prior to MMGL and avoid entry fees
i have flow into veracruz in the way to guatemala few times
appreciate all replies
my insurance covers mexico, i got eapis via fltplan.com (400 $ year...)
sounds reasonable to stop before and not clear customs at guadalajara
will report

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017, 21:49 

Post Likes: +16
Aircraft: Lancair Evo -42
Hi Andreas.-
I know the people from Aerotron (Handler from Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta). They are a not too pricey & you´ll go through like a knife through butter...

You have the range so I find no use of landing before...wasting more time, another flight plan, etc.

https://aerotron.com.mx/es/guadalajara

Cheers

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017, 23:43 

Hi Andreas.-
I know the people from Aerotron (Handler from Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta). They are a not too pricey & you´ll go through like a knife through butter...

You have the range so I find no use of landing before...wasting more time, another flight plan, etc.

Cheers

And spending at least 800 USD for the "pleasure" of going through Aerotron on an international arrival. If money is no object - go ahead. And this comes from someone burning Jet-A based in Mexico. Give them a call and ask for a quote - you'll see what I mean.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 00:38 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +474
Company: Benjamin Law Firm
Aircraft: Meridian
Andreas-

I'd love to hear how your trip into MMGL goes. I was planning one for the end of June that has been bumped to the end of July but I called Aerotron and was quoted $16000 pesos for an arrival/ departure and all other costs.

I've spoken and corresponded with Alex who was extremely,rely helpful and sent info about another person that had dorm what he has suggested, landing and clearing elsewhere, and then going to MMGL domestically. That was about 1/3 I understood.

Jack from BBP says that you can land there and not use the FBO haven't found anyone that's done that.

Let me know though as I'd love to go direct from El Paso to MMGL but first class out of Juarez is much less than the fees alone.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 00:40 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +474
Company: Benjamin Law Firm
Aircraft: Meridian
Hi Andreas.-

Cheers

Daniel- what's not too pricey? I was quoted over &16000 pesos in writing for an overnight trip. I'm searching for a reasonable way to go there. I'm ok with $300?

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next