Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Question for cirrus drivers
PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 08:23 

Post Likes: +877
Aircraft: SR22
Username Protected wrote:
... and the SR22 POH which calls for idle throttle position for best glide.
Which I don’t disagree with, and never advocated otherwise, although the POH in my 2006 SR22 does not call for it in the Engine Failure checklist, nor does it say to do that to get best glide. Throttle to idle is in the Forced Landing checklist along with a few other steps to accomplish before landing, but again no mention is made of the need to do that to obtain best glide.

Here's the point, which my previous comments as a "Cirrus driver" addressed in response to the OP's query: it is my understanding that the pilot cannot bring the Cirrus prop to full coarse pitch as you can on the Bonanza and any other plane with a prop control lever, which in my experience explains why the glide ratio in a Cirrus is significantly compromised compared to what is achievable in aircraft with prop control levers.

Is this a big deal? I don't think so. As I said previously, a reasonably priced STC is available to add a prop control as a rather simple mod, but most Cirrus owners are satisfied with the factory design that has its own advantages pointed out in the video.

PostPosted: 28 May 2017, 16:41 

Post Likes: +296
Disclaimer: I'm not a bonanza driver

How would the Bo get a "better" glide ratio via a prop lever? If you had an engine failure in Bo, how would you get the prop to coarse pitch? (Don't you need oil pressure for that?)

The Cirrus may not have the same glide ratio as a Bo, but that could be due more to the fixed gear than anything else.

PostPosted: 28 May 2017, 18:18 

How would the Bo get a "better" glide ratio via a prop lever? If you had an engine failure in Bo, how would you get the prop to coarse pitch? (Don't you need oil pressure for that?)

The Cirrus may not have the same glide ratio as a Bo, but that could be due more to the fixed gear than anything else.
If you flew a Bo and pulled the throttle to idle and established best glide speed, noted the VSI, and then pulled the prop level back to max high pitch, you'd notice the rate of descent would immediately decrease. It's so pronounced you can easily feel it by the seat of your pants as well. You do need oil pressure - if the prop loses oil it goes back to low pitch. That's perhaps why the POH seems to post glide ratios with the prop full forward - you can't assume you will always have oil pressure with an engine failure.

If you leave the prop lever full forward in a Bo, the descent is a little better than a Cirrus, probably due to the drag of the Cirrus's fixed gear. If you pull the Bo's prop lever back all the way, the Bo's glide ratio is much better than a Cirrus.

PostPosted: 28 May 2017, 21:57 

Post Likes: +2870
Company: WA Aircraft
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza E33C

If the engine failure resulted in a windmilling propeller, you would have enough oil pressure to move the prop to coarse pitch.

If the engine failure seized the engine (not turning), you're stuck with what you have. A stopped prop that's very flat.

PostPosted: 28 May 2017, 22:09 

Post Likes: +8797
Aircraft: A36

If the engine failure resulted in a windmilling propeller, you would have enough oil pressure to move the prop to coarse pitch.

If the engine failure seized the engine (not turning), you're stuck with what you have. A stopped prop that's very flat.

And if you are in a cirrus, in many cases you dont care much about your glide ratio after an engine failure, when you are over a decent enough terrain you pull the chute. It'll give you a really steep glide ratio, but experience has shown that 99% of people walk away from the chute landing.

PostPosted: 28 May 2017, 22:41 

Post Likes: +296
Wally-

Thanks for the explanation... that's what I was assuming you guys meant with regard to the glide profiles. :thumbup:

You do need oil pressure - if the prop loses oil it goes back to low pitch. That's perhaps why the POH seems to post glide ratios with the prop full forward - you can't assume you will always have oil pressure with an engine failure.

I agree with you 100%. The academic scenario posed earlier suggests the Cirrus would do worse in an engine failure because it can't feather the prop due to the single power lever. But, in an "engine failure" in a plane with a dedicated prop lever, I wouldn't be confident that I'd have a "prop feathering" card to pull out my bag of pilots tricks. Usually in an emergency, things only get worse, not better.

The chute is not without it's flaws, but I'd prefer a chute over a better glide. Just my opinion of course!

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 13:30 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
The best glide is a stopped prop. It surpasses course or fine.
As such, if you want the range, nose up and almost stall the plane to get the engine/prop to stop. Then go to best glide speed.

Tim

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 14:08 

Post Likes: +1026
Aircraft: Out of airplane biz
As such, if you want the range, nose up and almost stall the plane to get the engine/prop to stop. Then go to best glide speed.

Tim

Academically . . . maybe . . . in actuality . . . probably not gonna do that . . .

There's no difference between those that refuse to learn and those that can't learn!

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 14:09 

Post Likes: +22967
Aircraft: A33
As such, if you want the range, nose up and almost stall the plane to get the engine/prop to stop. Then go to best glide speed....
at which point it will start windmilling again. At least that's what happened when I tried it in a 182RG

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 15:04 

As such, if you want the range, nose up and almost stall the plane to get the engine/prop to stop. Then go to best glide speed....
at which point it will start windmilling again. At least that's what happened when I tried it in a 182RG

Based on reading, not having done it, you need to close the throttle and mixture first. Other wise there is enough "air gaps" to have the prop pump the engine if you engine works.

Tim

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 15:05 

Tim

Academically . . . maybe . . . in actuality . . . probably not gonna do that . . .

I hope to never need the range, but to have it in my back packet....
e.g. flying to the Caribbean and 20 miles from shore....

Tim

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 15:08 

Post Likes: +22967
Aircraft: A33
Based on reading, not having done it, you need to close the throttle and mixture first. Other wise there is enough "air gaps" to have the prop pump the engine if you engine works.

Tim

yeah, did every combination you could imagine, could not keep the prop stopped. Was trying to not have it turning for a belly landing. Finally decided to stop messing with it and just land the plane, before i turned a minor accident into a major one.

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 15:44 

Tim

yeah, did every combination you could imagine, could not keep the prop stopped. Was trying to not have it turning for a belly landing. Finally decided to stop messing with it and just land the plane, before i turned a minor accident into a major one.
Just thinking about this (not ever having done it myself), I would not think you could keep the prop stopped in a single with a constant speed prop you can't feather. As soon as you stop the prop, the engine stops as well, along with the oil pump. The oil pressure drops off as a result, allowing the springs in the prop hub to push the blades back to flat pitch, at which point the prop starts turning again. Which then pumps up the oil pressure again, and if you've kept the prop lever all the way back, the prop will once again go back to high/coarse pitch for max glide. If you stop it again, the routine starts over. I don't see how you can stop it, unless you had a fixed pitch prop that would stop if you got really slow.

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 15:44 

Tim

I recall reading that on crash talk, now that you mention it.
I hope I never need the knowledge, or have a chance to try it...

Tim

PostPosted: 31 May 2017, 15:06 

Post Likes: +4651

what does the mixture have to do with cylinder compression :scratch:

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next