banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 17:06 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Bravo SpaceX
PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 10:13 

Post Likes: +13064
Aircraft: PC12NG
Look at it this way.....

A caveman could see fire and know fire was possible. The Wright brothers could see birds flying and know flight was possible.....

99% of the population is staring at their iphones and don't have a clue What they're looking at.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 11:00 

Post Likes: +4137
Username Protected wrote:
Look at it this way.....

A caveman could see fire and know fire was possible. The Wright brothers could see birds flying and know flight was possible.....

99% of the population is staring at their iphones and don't have a clue What they're looking at.

The saddest thing is that they don't care either.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 11:02 

Post Likes: +3381
Aircraft: planeless
Look at it this way.....

Entertainment has certainly changed, but I doubt the knowledge level of the average person is much different than in the past. When I was a kid I certainly didn't know many adults that could tell me how an airplane flies, much less how a computer works.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 11:54 

I doubt the knowledge level of the average person is much different than in the past. When I was a kid I certainly didn't know many adults that could tell me how an airplane flies, much less how a computer works.

Exactly. That's the problem. Tech has advanced a lot since we were kids and there are more people who are more clueless.

The next great threat to humanity will not be a 3rd Reich style, WW2, rally the troops and fight for freedom" kind of event. It will be one group or one guy who has worked his way down the rabbit hole farther than anyone else and he's going to zap everyones brain through their iPhones and rule the world. Nobody will see it coming. Government regs can't keep up with the speed of tech. It's already out of control. Most people don't know what's going on right in front of their faces.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 12:03 

Post Likes: +957
Aircraft: G36 turbo normalized
Anyone that works in tech will see a great benefit in "taking your kids to work day". Even better would be having the tech folks actually spend a day in middle or high school actually "showing" kids what is going on in the real world. It is one thing to read about something, it is far better to actually see it and talk to those producing it. I recently visited the Intel Museum in Santa Clara. Seeing the evolution of microprocessors in person is a far cry from reading about it.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... useum.html

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 12:13 

Post Likes: +7927
Company: Minister of Pith
Aircraft: Piper PA28/140
Anyone that works in tech will see a great benefit in "taking your kids to work day". Even better would be having the tech folks actually spend a day in middle or high school actually "showing" kids what is going on in the real world. It is one thing to read about something, it is far better to actually see it and talk to those producing it. I recently visited the Intel Museum in Santa Clara. Seeing the evolution of microprocessors in person is a far cry from reading about it.

The kids won't care.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 12:20 

The next great threat to humanity will not be a 3rd Reich style, WW2, rally the troops and fight for freedom" kind of event. It will be one group or one guy who has worked his way down the rabbit hole farther than anyone else and he's going to zap everyones brain through their iPhones and rule the world. Nobody will see it coming. Government regs can't keep up with the speed of tech. It's already out of control. Most people don't know what's going on right in front of their faces.

The Kingsmen? :D

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 12:24 

I don't know what "kingsmen" is.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 12:59 

Post Likes: +957
Aircraft: G36 turbo normalized

The kids won't care.

The kids I know care. They love Space X, Intel, Apple, etc.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 13:02 

I don't know what "kingsmen" is.

Its a movie that suggests exactly what you were talking about, zapping people through their iPhones. Fun movie worth a watch if for nothing else hearing Samuel Jackson talk with a lisp.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802144/

I thought you might have seen it when I posted.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 13:08 

Post Likes: +1926
Aircraft: PA28 180C

And it will be done in a manner that people won't know their brains are being zapped. They very well may ask for more.....

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 23:58 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +92
I realize the goal of landing this is to re-use it. But how much burn and usage damage must be repaired to ready it for another launch? Any idea what the landed section would cost if destroyed?

Elon says that his goal is a quick turnaround, similar to a commercial airliner. It's kind of the whole point. By this point in time, we know that SES-10 was a success, flying on a "flight-proven" stage. However, it took almost exactly a year to turn that stage around. I'm sure space industry observers all over the world watch this parameter with great interest.

I'm almost certain that at some future moment we'll see a dirty stage rolled out for lunch. Washing all that soot takes time and money. They'll just wipe antenna covers and perhaps wash some QDs for fuel and drainage.

Elon also mentioned that the booster stage comprises about 75% of the cost of the whole vehicle, even though the upper stage includes the infamous Niobium nozzle, control system, and fairing. Actually SpaceX is trying to save the fairing too. It costs about $7 million. The landed stage is about $30..50 million, then. So, clearly you cannot have 40 guys turning it around for a year -- labor costs alone will kill the idea. But if you can 40 guys turn it around a month, it would say a ton of money.

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 08:30 

Post Likes: +22858
Aircraft: A33
But if you can 40 guys turn it around a month, it would say a ton of money.
and time. A spaceship that can carry people and their supplies to mars (and maybe back, maybe not) is going to be big. Assembling that monster in orbit is going to take a lot of time and risk being damaged during the build, unless the parts can be flown rapid fire. Turning around the first stage in a few weeks would make all the difference.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 12:56 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1712
Happy Fourth of July, a day early. Truly remarkable "fireworks" are seen here in a short parallel-view summary of the first six launches with return landings in 2017 ... all were video-synchronized by a Greg Beat who I don't know.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4FU0l2JHh ... e=youtu.be

Math and science hits six technology balls out of the park! Anyone even peripherally involved in these space efforts should be popping proud.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 22:21 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +58
Company: Pacific Metal Cutting
Aircraft: ‘19 Cirrus SR22T G6
Happy Fourth of July, a day early. Truly remarkable "fireworks" are seen here in a short parallel-view summary of the first six launches with return landings in 2017 ... all were video-synchronized by a Greg Beat who I don't know.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4FU0l2JHh ... e=youtu.be

Math and science hits six technology balls out of the park! Anyone even peripherally involved in these space efforts should be popping proud.

Great video. They are a big customer of ours and are quite an exciting group of people to work with.

Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next