banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 13:52 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Why do people sneer at Maules?
PostPosted: 04 May 2017, 08:26 

Post Likes: +10440
Aircraft: 182
Yep Brent, it appears that Maule isn't working for you at all.

:peace:

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2017, 21:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +242
Company: W. John Gadd, Esq.
Aircraft: C55 Baron
Username Protected wrote:
Lots of eye rolling and upturned noses...what's the story? Why all the haters?

Whatever they say about a Maul shouldn't bother a blow and suck driver in the least. :duck:

Just kidding. I think it has to do with less than stellar build quality coupled with abysmal handling traits. It did look cool stopping for beer in Cannnball run though. :cheers:

It sure did.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2017, 22:59 

Post Likes: +8782
Aircraft: A36
Is there any issue with corrosion of the steel frame when kept outside ?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 18:49 

Post Likes: +157
Aircraft: C33 Debonair CD882
I sold my Debonair a few years back and bought a Maule M5235, great fun aeroplane one day i took off across the runway, unbelievable take off performance.
I have a few hundred hours in one, big wheels and heavy brakes.
Scott Newpower said at the time, "Built by farmers for farmers" he was right to an extent.
It was not fun landing, little elevator or aileron authority and generally uncoordinated to fly. Slow approaches meant high rates of descent which could require almost full power in the flare to arrest.
I didnt think there was a great risk of ground looping although plenty have.
The maule was noisier with headsets on than the Beech with headsets off.
It leaked air and water from every possible place.
It could however take off in 150 metres at gross and cruise at 120kts with 29" wheels, i thought that was impressive.
It was fun, I eventually gave up and sold it and bought my Debonair back. I did learn a lot about slow flight in the Maule which has improved my Beechcraft flying.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 09:17 

Post Likes: +22857
Aircraft: A33
Anyone who likes the idea of a maule but hates the handling, needs to go for a ride in a bearhawk. It's all the things you like about the maule (stol, big barn doors, carries a load) and fixes all the stuff about the maule that you hate.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 15:59 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: C170B, BE35, CRJ
I did some of my primary training in a 1997 MX7-180C. I'm pretty dense and bulky and 6'4" tall, and my instructor (who owned the airplane) was not quite as dense as me, but equally sized. I hated the airplane at first, but it grew on me after a while. They are pretty heavy airplanes, so the 180HP version was a bit of a turd. My friend's M4-220C is a much better performer.

The airplane didn't fly too bad, but was cramped, and they're about as easy to ingress/egress as a Super Cub. They are more squirrelly than people anticipate them being, and the MX7 was the worse of the two for crosswind handling with the long wing. I'm sure the inertia and the reduced vertical tail volume coefficient were contributing factors.

Build quality wasn't the worst I've seen, but the engineering of the wings was a little interesting. They are built like a fabric covered wing that was then metalized rather than a native metal wing. Even though I wouldn't exactly hunt out a Franklin-powered airplane, an M4 would be the only one I'd consider of the bunch based on my experiences with them.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 17:38 

Post Likes: +957
Aircraft: G36 turbo normalized
Interestingly, my sister lives in Brooklyn, Michigan and sent me this recent article on the original Maule factory in Napoleon, Mich. It was there from 1962 to 1968 when they moved to Georgia.

http://theexponentextra.com/6720-2

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 07:42 

Post Likes: +11348
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
Anyone who likes the idea of a maule but hates the handling, needs to go for a ride in a bearhawk. It's all the things you like about the maule (stol, big barn doors, carries a load) and fixes all the stuff about the maule that you hate.

Sure thing. The Bearhawk may be all the things everyone says. But there are very few flying, which says to me they're either expensive or difficult to build.
Attachment:
image.png

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 13:36 

Post Likes: +561
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 2007 RANS S-6ES

Sure thing. The Bearhawk may be all the things everyone says. But there are very few flying, which says to me they're either expensive or difficult to build.

You're judging how many are flying by the number listed for sale? I would certainly agree that the Bearhawk fleet is far smaller than the Maule fleet. But I think a lot of the reason you don't find many for sale is that the builder/owners just don't sell them very often.

I've been building my Bearhawk Patrol (2-place tandem version) for about 1.5 years now, and following the Bearhawk forums for about 2.5 years. During that time, I can think of only a small handful of Bearhawks that were sold for reasons other than the builder/pilot passing away. One of those was a "lost medical" issue that was not going to ever get any better. Another was a guy who bought a Bearhawk to fly while he was building his own, then sold it once the build was complete. Another was a guy who built a Bearhawk 4-place, then a 2-place Patrol, then sold the 4-place to finance the build of a Bearhawk LSA.

There are 117 entries in the FAA registration database that have the "Bearhawk" name in the "Model" field, plus another 23 Bearhawk Patrols, and 8 Bearhawk LSAs. Probably a few more are flying whose owners registered them as something else. And I know of several people in Australia, Canada, and New Zealand who have built Bearhawks.

All of the Bearhawk models are NOT what most people would consider a "quick build". Building from scratch probably takes between 2500 and 5000 hours, depending on skill level and desire to build a "show plane" versus a "work plane." The "Quick Build" kid probably reduces that time by about 1000-1500 hours. So it's not a casual project, but when it's finally done, they are pretty incredible aircraft.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 05:52 

Post Likes: +11348
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
For a kit that's been sold for roughly 20 years, I'd say 149 registrants in the database is very few.

Whether you agree with that or not, the fact remains: you can't just go out and buy one.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 09:17 

For a kit that's been sold for roughly 20 years, I'd say 149 registrants in the database is very few.

Whether you agree with that or not, the fact remains: you can't just go out and buy one.

that's true, there aren't that many of them. But it hasn't been a "kit" for all that time, many of those were plans built before the kits

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 09:47 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7391
Company: The French Tradition
Aircraft: 89 A36 TN, 78 Tiger
Maule has a bad reputation because some pilots do not want to spend the time it takes to understand and master a tail wheel.
This is not a 182.
It is a jeep with wheels.
I love those planes, and if I lived in the right state, I would own one for sure.
Different mission then a Bo.

It is the perfect answer to the pilots that complain about FBO's fees... With this plane, you do not need FBO, in fact, you don't need no stickin runway.... :peace:

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 11:12 

Post Likes: +8782
Aircraft: A36

More importantly, you can't just go and sell one if it doesn't fulfill your expectations or your needs change. You can always sell a Maule. There is just additional risk involved in buying an unusual experimental plane.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 11:18 

More importantly, you can't just go and sell one if it doesn't fulfill your expectations or your needs change. You can always sell a Maule. There is just additional risk involved in buying an unusual experimental plane.

you have that backwards. Lots of people look sideways at a maule for whataver reason, but when a bearhawk does come on the market it gets snapped up immediately

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 11:40 

Post Likes: +6114
Aircraft: 1979 Bonanza A36

you have that backwards. Lots of people look sideways at a maule for whataver reason, but when a bearhawk does come on the market it gets snapped up immediately

I went by their booth at OSH and was very disappointed. No one from Bearhawk seemed interested in talking to me. The owner of the only Patrol there was helpful, but I wanted more info on cost, availability, ect. That seemed to be a recurring theme at almost every booth except for... you guessed it, Cirrus.
The Patrol is an amazing plane on paper. I would love to fly one and see if it lives up to the hype. I only know of one that might be for sale, and that is questionable.

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next