Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Iceman flies a Jet Ranger 206B3
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 20:44 

Post Likes: +7268
Aircraft: 1964 Bonanza S35
Attachment:
IMG_1331.JPG

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 21:12 

Post Likes: +3660
Aircraft: A36, R44, C525
Username Protected wrote:
You will throw rocks at planes for back country. Flying is easy peasy. Hovering and landing where you want takes a few hours. Don't know why guys want Cubs and all after helicopters.

I'm gonna bite, visiting you this summer then :D

AOK! This time of the year in California is amazing with it so green.

Altitude is Everything.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 21:16 

Post Likes: +3660
Aircraft: A36, R44, C525
Dan-

My primary IP (Vietnam-era Huey pilot) once gave me some golden advice that may help you in your quest. As I struggled to hold heading within 30-deg while also wallowing about in a hover, we had an exchange like this:

Him: "So what's wrong, Danny-boy?"
Me: "Well, the nose keeps going right and I don't know what to do."
Him: "The nose is going right you say?"
Me: "Yes, see... there it goes again off to the right"

Him: "Then FIX IT."

*pause*
Me: " ....... How, Sir?"
Him: "Fix the 'It.' Stop thinking of the inputs you want to make, and how the complicated controls actually work, and start thinking of what you want the aircraft to do. The aircraft is the 'it;' make 'it' do what you want."

10 minutes later, I had found the "hover button" in its entirety. I no longer had to think of my compensation scheme on the flight controls... I was simply "closing the loop" on the aircraft's motions with respect to the world around me.

Never has a phrase been as useless and simultaneously as helpful as his "FIX IT." I still will say that phrase to myself silently when an aircraft starts to get away from me. Works for fixed-wing just as well as rotary-wing, too!

Exactly Dan.

Altitude is Everything.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 21:29 

Post Likes: +1345
Aircraft: M20E/Bell47

*pause*
Me: " ....... How, Sir?"
Him: "Fix the 'It.' Stop thinking of the inputs you want to make, and how the complicated controls actually work, and start thinking of what you want the aircraft to do. The aircraft is the 'it;' make 'it' do what you want."

10 minutes later, I had found the "hover button" in its entirety. I no longer had to think of my compensation scheme on the flight controls... I was simply "closing the loop" on the aircraft's motions with respect to the world around me.

Never has a phrase been as useless and simultaneously as helpful as his "FIX IT." I still will say that phrase to myself silently when an aircraft starts to get away from me. Works for fixed-wing just as well as rotary-wing, too!

Not sure about other rotor systems but the stabilizer bar on my '47 introduces about a 300ms lag from the time that you input the controls until you get a reaction. Whenever I give the controls to one of my fixed wing friends, I tell them to put the Cyclic where they think it should be then bring it back 1/2 way to the center. Its not exactly correct but actually pretty good as a first approximation. Helps with over-controlling and pilot induced oscillations.

Glenn

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 22:25 

Post Likes: +2046
Company: Naples Jet Center
Aircraft: EMB500 AC95 AEST
Ok Mark - I get the seaplanes and all but the helicopters are a new level of drug! Most fun flying of all. :cheers:

I bet you have license within a year. Great times. Learn to fly a Robbie and that 206 will cease being squirrelly and feel stable like the 550 feels compared to a Bonanza full of bowling balls in the way back seats on a gusty day ...

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 10:27 

Post Likes: +4107
Aircraft: Baron E55
Love it!!! :thumbup:

"Thumppa Thumppa Thumppa Thumppa....."

Awesome!

Warren

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 17:44 

Post Likes: +561
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 2007 RANS S-6ES
One of my challenges to the guys I trained (Army IP) was to allow them to establish a stabilized hover, then make a circle with my two hands, touching thumbs and index fingers together, surrounding the cyclic stick. Then I would challenge them to fly a complete traffic pattern without touching my hands. Of course, they would smack my hands like crazy, declare it was impossible, and then sit in stunned silence when I had them form the circle with their hands, while I flew the pattern without touching their hands. The next time they tried it, they might hit my hands 2-3 times, but it was a million percent improvement.

That exercise was far more "convincing" to them than the repetitious mantra "Don't MOVE the controls, just apply PRESSURE to them." But once they got it, they began to be "Army Aviators"...

Another exercise we used to do was go to the compass rose, place the pilot seat at the center of the rose, and have them make slow, smooth, steady pedal turns to the right and left. When they achieved mastery of that, I would have them put the nose of the helicopter (pitot tube, for the OH-58) in the center of the rose, and move the helicopter around that pitot tube in slow, smooth, steady motion to complete the 360º turn in both directions while keeping the nose pointed at the center of the compass rose.

When they got good at that, I'd have them place the pitot tube on the outside of the compass rose circle, facing inward, and circle to the right/left, keeping the aircraft pointed at the center of the rose. This is quite a bit harder, and the more crosswind you have, the tougher it is to be "slow and steady" as you circle the rose.

If / when they mastered all of those maneuvers, we would start over, but this time using the tail rotor as the "focal point" (facing "outward" from the center of the compass rose) while we repeated all those maneuvers. That was a couple of orders of magnitude more difficult, but it REALLY taught the guys where that tail rotor was located, which came in really handy when flying "nap-of-the-earth" and working confined areas!

And for the few who got really good at all of the above, I would have them try to repeat the same set of maneuvers, but this time wearing NVGs (night vision goggles). These were the older AN-PVS-5 with only a 10º field-of-view. Grab two toilet paper tubes and hold them up to your eyes - that's the view through those older NVGs. Only a single pilot during my time in the Army was reasonably successful at doing all of those maneuvers while wearing the NVGs – and I recommended to our CO that he be sent to the Instructor Pilot's Course as soon as possible. Best pilot I ever flew with, by far.

I guess all that "directional control" work with the tail rotor pedals paid off for me when I finally did my tailwheel training. Other than the very first landing (which got a bit interesting), I managed to avoid scaring my CFI long enough to get my endorsement! Up to 46 hours TW time now, and counting...

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 18:51 

Post Likes: +386
Aircraft: Working on it...
I am truly saddened that this thread somehow has so rudely interrupted the Citation Hot Chick videos. What has BT come to?

However I do understand the joy Mark is having, however there are many others individuals in the BT Brotherhood that need to be considered who have become video drug addicts....I may need counseling and therapy is this continues. :doh:

May I suggest....

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 21:13 

Post Likes: +10476
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Took a helicopter lesson a year ago in R-22. Fun and relatively easy to fly and maneuver, but hovering is a totally different animal. My instructor definitely had a lot of fun watching me.

His intro to hovering was like: "let's see how long you will hold it still. I'd say 2 seconds... Wait, you are a fixed wing pilot, I'll give you 1 second then."

He was right.

I have a little time in a R22, a Hiller something, and a Schweizer 300. Of the three, the little Robbie was hands down the most difficult to hover (I never successfully got that one under control).

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Concorde Battery (banner)