18 Mar 2024, 23:27 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Iceman flies a Jet Ranger 206B3
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 00:45 

Post Likes: +3659
Aircraft: A36, R44, C525
Hopefully Mark will get one, he has a lot of pull on Beechtalk, and finally we will have a helicopter link where folks contribute! Go Mark.

Altitude is Everything.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 20:25 

Post Likes: +21
Aircraft: B-55, cheyenneII
Took a couple lessons in a Hughes 300 in San Antoino 15 yrs ago guy was e nam pilot he had me hovering in the first 20 minutes. Lots of fun

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 22:24 

Post Likes: +3600
Company: FAA Flight Check
Aircraft: King Air 300F/C90GTx
I got about 0.5 hrs in a CH-53A back in '90 when I was stashed with MAG-41 at what was then NAS Dallas. I was a civilian pilot waiting to start flight school in Pensacola. Coming out of Primary later at NAS Corpus Christi I had decided to chose the Help pipeline, but fate and some good advice changed my course. We will never know if it was for the better or worse - but I still think about the *fun* of flying helos (and the challenge) often.

Looks like you had a great time Mark. :thumbup: :clap:

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 10:10 

Post Likes: +8782
Aircraft: A36
There ought to be a law that one man can't hog that much fun :D

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 13:55 

Post Likes: +388
Aircraft: 1967 Bonanza V35
Took a helicopter lesson a year ago in R-22. Fun and relatively easy to fly and maneuver, but hovering is a totally different animal. My instructor definitely had a lot of fun watching me.

His intro to hovering was like: "let's see how long you will hold it still. I'd say 2 seconds... Wait, you are a fixed wing pilot, I'll give you 1 second then."

He was right.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 14:15 

Post Likes: +1345
Aircraft: M20E/Bell47
Username Protected wrote:
I can't hover, but working with him I learned I could get safely on the ground without that. So long as you're moving it pretty much flies like an airplane. If you need to land you can "skid it on" the runway and walk away from it. Somebody could probably fly the machine again as well.

That hover thing, though, seems to me kind of like trying to stand on a half inflated beach ball. I haven't had time/resources to do real training in one so maybe it would be more straightforward if someone actually taught me something about it.

Dan

Agreed, I tell all my fixed wing friend that if anything happens to me while we are flying the helicopter their best bet it to run it on like an airplane.

I have given the controls to my 47' to lots of pilots (including several BT'er), no problem in the air. On the other hand, learning to hover can be a very humbling experience.

Glenn

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 14:44 

Post Likes: +3003
Aircraft: was A36 TN Bonanza
I can't hover, but working with him I learned I could get safely on the ground without that. So long as you're moving it pretty much flies like an airplane. If you need to land you can "skid it on" the runway and walk away from it. Somebody could probably fly the machine again as well.

That hover thing, though, seems to me kind of like trying to stand on a half inflated beach ball. I haven't had time/resources to do real training in one so maybe it would be more straightforward if someone actually taught me something about it.

Dan

Agreed, I tell all my fixed wing friend that if anything happens to me while we are flying the helicopter their best bet it to run it on like an airplane.

I have given the controls to my 47' to lots of pilots (including several BT'er), no problem in the air. On the other hand, learning to hover can be a very humbling experience.

Then you'll understand my first attempt at hovering. A friend I'd helped out had borrowed his boss's helicopter to shuttle his son and date to prom from the airport (how cool was that!). He got there a little early to give some of us some rides/stick time. This guy was a Viet Nam graduate and did long line work as a day job.

When it was my turn it was starting to get dark. Being a clever guy, I figured all I had to do was keep the landing light pointed at the same spot. There are some stupid things you can do in a helicopter you've probably never thought of, you can put that one on your list.

Yes, I'm an engineer, but somehow I thought that up. I have no idea where it came from, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Write this down in ink: It ain't.

My next "helicopter" experience was when another friend got us some time in Apache Longbow sims at Ft Hood. We got three hours. It has a hover button <g> but I was having too much fun to sit still. Lesson: if someone comes for you in a Longbow, they'll find you and do whatever they want to you before you know they're there. I got to sit in a Longbow, but for some reason they wouldn't start it up.

The next was a ride for "post hurricane evaluation", flying with other city officials over a couple of counties. I happened to be in one of the front seats with a good friend/instructor as pilot (it was, of course, the safe thing to do in case something happened to him). Not sayin' I flew it, but I certainly didn't attempt a hover.

Some years ago I had helicopter rating on my list of things to do. No local training so I visited a couple of places in Houston. About the time I was going to get serious about it, the place at Hooks that I was going to use lost one on a photo flight. Robinson lost the engine and pancaked, taking an instructor and photographer. Talked to the investigator a while later and he said the top of the helicopter was about shoulder high. Lightweight rotors: ya'll be careful. It was still on my list, but went down a bunch of notches.

Dan

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 20:32 

Post Likes: +296
Aircraft: SR22
Mark-

Welcome to the "dark side."

There's nothing better than being able to fly a VERY specific point of your choosing. Try doing that in a fixed wing! After all, birds don't fly like airplanes, they fly like helicopters. :angel:

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 15:00 

Post Likes: +22
Aircraft: K35, Astar
The hardest thing I had to do as a fixed wing guy transitioning to rotor wing was to get my head around the idea that it's perfectly normal to fly at zero mph. Got several thousand hours now and it's still a blast!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 15:14 

Post Likes: +7090
Aircraft: PC12NG, G3Tat
You will throw rocks at planes for back country. Flying is easy peasy. Hovering and landing where you want takes a few hours. Don't know why guys want Cubs and all after helicopters.

I'm gonna bite, visiting you this summer then :D

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 15:56 

Post Likes: +316
Aircraft: 2010 RV8
I am truly saddened that this thread somehow has so rudely interrupted the Citation Hot Chick videos. What has BT come to?

However I do understand the joy Mark is having, however there are many others individuals in the BT Brotherhood that need to be considered who have become video drug addicts....I may need counseling and therapy is this continues. :doh:

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 17:32 

Post Likes: +561
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 2007 RANS S-6ES
While I was stationed in Korea, I flew a Captain from our base down to Inchon (AF) so he could catch a MAC flight to Japan for his R&R. This was a Saturday, so I called ahead and asked about weekend fuel and they said "No problem."

Got there, dropped off my buddy, and walked into Ops to get fuel. "Sorry, no fuel available on weekends." Much discussion later, the only fuel available would have to be negotiated with the "Ready Reserve" fighter pilot group. I trudged over there, was told "No" by several people. My last shot was to speak directly with the CO of the ready reserve team.

"Well, how much do you need to get you home?" he asked. I told him the tank held 71.5 gallons, but it would probably only take 2/3 of that. He said "We don't do 'gallons' - how much is that in pounds?" When I answered "Well, empty to full would be about 465 lbs." He just started laughing... In between guffaws, he let me know that their F4s burned 465 lbs PER MINUTE on full-afterburner climb, and that he would be glad to fill up my "little toy." One of his pilots overhearing that added "But you gotta take us all up for a ride and let us try to fly it."

I agreed, because I desperately needed the fuel to get home that night. You see, the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders were supposed to entertain at our base the next day! (That's a legitimate emergency, right?)

So, one by one I took those four Air Force fighter pilots up for a ride, set up a stabilized 50-foot hover in the middle of a 200' x 200' pad, and bet them a steak dinner they couldn't keep it over the pad for 30 seconds. Every one of them laughed at me, insisting that their superior fighter pilot skills would make this "child's play" for them. And every single one of them lost that bet - most within 15 seconds!

One guy said "Damn, that's like trying to learn to roller skate on a floor covered with ball bearings!" I've got to admit that I stole that line, and use it all the time to describe what learning to hover is like. Most people are like that (all over the place) for a few hours, and then - all of the sudden - they can hover. It's like a big mental switch is thrown in their heads.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 18:07 

Post Likes: +3003
Aircraft: was A36 TN Bonanza
One guy said "Damn, that's like trying to learn to roller skate on a floor covered with ball bearings!" I've got to admit that I stole that line, and use it all the time to describe what learning to hover is like. Most people are like that (all over the place) for a few hours, and then - all of the sudden - they can hover. It's like a big mental switch is thrown in their heads.

And I think that's sorta like standing on a half inflated beach ball as I mentioned above. :lol:

I think the next time I get an opportunity I'll come closer (some actual training would certainly help <g>). My new vision of it is to fly the rotor disk. It seems to me that the rotor is what flies, and the rest of the machine just dangles from the center of that. Dunno if that will work, but I'm certain it will be much better than trying to hold the landing light in one spot. :popcorn:

Dan

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 18:16 

Post Likes: +3
Company: USNR
Aircraft: C-130T
I have a little over 100 hours in the TH-57B/C (bell 206). The B without the stab system is a hell of a stick and rudder challenge! Also have around 500 hours in an MH-60S. Helicopters are awesome, but I do love the herc, now!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 20:37 

Post Likes: +296
Aircraft: SR22
Dan-

My primary IP (Vietnam-era Huey pilot) once gave me some golden advice that may help you in your quest. As I struggled to hold heading within 30-deg while also wallowing about in a hover, we had an exchange like this:

Him: "So what's wrong, Danny-boy?"
Me: "Well, the nose keeps going right and I don't know what to do."
Him: "The nose is going right you say?"
Me: "Yes, see... there it goes again off to the right"

Him: "Then FIX IT."

*pause*
Me: " ....... How, Sir?"
Him: "Fix the 'It.' Stop thinking of the inputs you want to make, and how the complicated controls actually work, and start thinking of what you want the aircraft to do. The aircraft is the 'it;' make 'it' do what you want."

10 minutes later, I had found the "hover button" in its entirety. I no longer had to think of my compensation scheme on the flight controls... I was simply "closing the loop" on the aircraft's motions with respect to the world around me.

Never has a phrase been as useless and simultaneously as helpful as his "FIX IT." I still will say that phrase to myself silently when an aircraft starts to get away from me. Works for fixed-wing just as well as rotary-wing, too!

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Concorde Battery (banner)