banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 04:43 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 41  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: You say you want an Evolution ...
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 00:34 

Post Likes: +4628
Found the American pilot

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 00:47 

Post Likes: +2329
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
Username Protected wrote:
Needs Color.....
Agreed, but not red. Red fades more than any other color. No red.
Quote:
BTW, Great project. Congrats.
Thanks.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 02:20 

This is the equipment bay under the baggage compartment on a plane in for annual. This is basically the overflow for stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. The hydraulic gear system really belongs somewhere between the wheels but instead it's way back here, which of course means extra plumbing back and forth. Also the electronics of the TCAS system, same story, and its cabling. I hate it because it's well aft and the plane has a tendency to aft CG, like a V-tail. I'm on a mission to empty it.

Dumping the TCAS in favor of ADS-B gets rid of the avionics box and its cabling. That's the easy part. The problem of nose wheels collapsing when being towed has gotten the factory's attention, they've modified the hydraulic system twice just in the last year and it's not over yet. With the latest redesign we think we've found enough room forward to get all those hydraulics out of there. Cautious optimism!

But engineers abhor a vacuum. That empty space beckons whenever something needs a place. The new software circuit breakers, for example; the new box came out too big to fit in the previous space, so the factory says just put it in the aft bay. Arrgh! We're planning instead to rework it into two boxes so it will fit up front. It's a never-ending battle keeping the bay empty and the weight forward.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 05:26 

Post Likes: +23513
Aircraft: Prior C310,BE33,SR22
Needs Color.....
Agreed, but not red. Red fades more than any other color. No red..

:scratch:

I like red. My red is still quite red....no fade.....and it's 33 years old.

No other color adds the life, the pizzazz, the WOW that red adds.
- Mars Bonfire

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 10:51 

Post Likes: +272
Aircraft: Lancair Evolution
I hate it because it's well aft and the plane has a tendency to aft CG, like a V-tail. I'm on a mission to empty it.

I've seen you mention this several times now and I'm not following. I haven't seen anything even close to aft CG issues like a V-tail. In fact, I have a fuel tank in my baggage area that holds 156 lbs of fuel and have had the baggage bay full to the top and didn't experience any CG issues. Not only that, but my electric A/C components are located in the tail of the plane. We worked pretty hard to move some CG backwards. Now I know that a -42 moves CG forward quite a bit, but we did enough CG movement that brought me close to or equal to what the CG of a -135 plane would be. So I'm curious where this notion came from?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 10:59 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4130
Company: Looking
Aircraft: Baron/Bonanza
Change the outlining black to Seahawks stripes green, should jazz it up, and, you DO live in Seattle....... :shrug:

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 12:20 

I hate it because it's well aft and the plane has a tendency to aft CG, like a V-tail.
I've seen you mention this several times now and I'm not following. I haven't seen anything even close to aft CG issues like a V-tail. In fact, I have a fuel tank in my baggage area that holds 156 lbs of fuel and have had the baggage bay full to the top and didn't experience any CG issues. Not only that, but my electric A/C components are located in the tail of the plane. We worked pretty hard to move some CG backwards. Now I know that a -42 moves CG forward quite a bit, but we did enough CG movement that brought me close to or equal to what the CG of a -135 plane would be.
Gerry, what's your empty weight and CG? Certainly the -42 changes things. I'm also intending to put in the aux tank, btw.

For the benefit of others, the factory puts the CG range at 121.9-129.6", gross 4,550 lbs. Their sample W&B has an empty plane as 2540 lbs. at 117.9. With those numbers, you can fill the tanks (fuel is at 136"), seats (front 128", back 164") and baggage (192"). But real world -135 planes I've sampled are around 2750@122.3. That's over 4" farther back, giving up half of the 8" CG range. Nothing you put in the plane goes forward of the CG range, everything aft, so there's no way to compensate for an aft CG. I'd rather err on the side of too much forward CG as that's easy to compensate for with the junk we wind up carrying in the baggage area anyway.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 15:48 

I've seen you mention this several times now and I'm not following. I haven't seen anything even close to aft CG issues like a V-tail. In fact, I have a fuel tank in my baggage area that holds 156 lbs of fuel and have had the baggage bay full to the top and didn't experience any CG issues. Not only that, but my electric A/C components are located in the tail of the plane. We worked pretty hard to move some CG backwards. Now I know that a -42 moves CG forward quite a bit, but we did enough CG movement that brought me close to or equal to what the CG of a -135 plane would be.
Gerry, what's your empty weight and CG? Certainly the -42 changes things. I'm also intending to put in the aux tank, btw.

For the benefit of others, the factory puts the CG range at 121.9-129.6", gross 4,550 lbs. Their sample W&B has an empty plane as 2540 lbs. at 117.9. With those numbers, you can fill the tanks (fuel is at 136"), seats (front 128", back 164") and baggage (192"). But real world -135 planes I've sampled are around 2750@122.3. That's over 4" farther back, giving up half of the 8" CG range. Nothing you put in the plane goes forward of the CG range, everything aft, so there's no way to compensate for an aft CG. I'd rather err on the side of too much forward CG as that's easy to compensate for with the junk we wind up carrying in the baggage area anyway.

I'll have to look it up and get back to you on that. I can't remember off hand. What I do know though, is I've had my wife and two baby boys and baggage in my old V-tail and the dang thing near sat on it's tail. In my Evo, I've had 4 adult males, 2 of which were larger than average, baggage for each for a week and a full aux tank of fuel and no issues of wanting to squat to the rear.

I'll get my weight and balance for you later today hopefully. I'm going flying to practice emergency procedures.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 21:53 

Change the outlining black to Seahawks stripes green, should jazz it up, and, you DO live in Seattle....... :shrug:
I'm not a big Hawks fan but I like that idea! I'll run it by the wife. Thanks!

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 09:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4130
Company: Looking
Aircraft: Baron/Bonanza
I'm not a big Hawks fan but I like that idea! I'll run it by the wife. Thanks!

:thumbup:

Any kind of bright color would work, IMO.....could go for a yellow, or Mr.
Abbetts orange
. I think the others are correct, it's a design screaming for a bit of color!

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 11:23 

I attached my weight and balance. My empty weight is 2809. I have plugged into the max fwd box a typical flight for me and my family. Looks like fully loaded I'm right on the edge of aft CG. My wife sits in the back seats with my boys instead of up front with me.

Attachment:
N7569A WeightNBalance.xlsx

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 12:15 

Thanks, Gerry. Very interesting. The 119.9 empty is farther forward than I've seen on any -135 plane. I'd be pretty happy if I could get that.

How's that Villenger prop working for you? Did you get the speed bump you wanted?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 18:18 

Thanks, Gerry. Very interesting. The 119.9 empty is farther forward than I've seen on any -135 plane. I'd be pretty happy if I could get that.

How's that Villenger prop working for you? Did you get the speed bump you wanted?

Haven't been able to go to altitude yet with it. I'm in Bend now to pick up the plane and had a minor shimmy in the nose strut. Would have had it taken care of to leave I think last week but unfortunate circumstances had all the mechanics at RDD out for the week.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 10:41 

After flying the plane home, the prop appears to have given me a 5+ knot increase. Hard to tell from one flight so I'll keep an eye on it as time goes on, but that's my initial experience.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 13:43 

Post Likes: +29
Aircraft: TBM960, XCub, Zlin N
I've been looking at an Evolution for a couple years now, but have sat on the sidelines waiting for the plane to mature. A couple of items that concerned me were the gear issues and lack of cuffed wing. I saw the cuffed wing has been addressed and just heard there was a gear fix being incorporated into the newer serial numbers. Does anyone have any information on the gear modification? Also, any chance of incorporating an experimental version of the nxi g1000? Finally, any plans to incorporate the experimental version of the g700 autopilot on the planes with the -42 engines? I have over 1200 hours behind the G1000 and am not super interested in learning a new fms. Thanks.

Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 41  Next