banner
banner

29 Mar 2024, 08:22 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 41  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: You say you want an Evolution ...
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 18:07 

Post Likes: +2330
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
Username Protected wrote:
I'd be interested to learn how much power they were using and how much they had left in reserve.
It was a before/after test of the new prop and inlet, they were using the same ITT limit as they did before, 775(?). The resulting Ng was lower, <100% vs. just over 101% with the old inlet. IIRC, fuel flow was 42-43 gph.
Quote:
My guess would be that the TAS at altitude will be just short of 300 ktas which is pretty good for a -135A plane.
They're already at 297 at 17.5, you think they'll gain no more than 2 knots at 25? I'll say more. Performance One in Mesa reports their latest build with the new inlet clocked in at 305.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 19:51 

Post Likes: +272
Aircraft: Lancair Evolution
They're already at 297 at 17.5, you think they'll gain no more than 2 knots at 25? I'll say more. Performance One in Mesa reports their latest build with the new inlet clocked in at 305.

What could Mesa be doing different than everyone else? Fastest I've heard of on a -135A is usually in the 280's low 290's. I don't think a different inlet design would make that much difference.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 08:00 

Post Likes: +272
Aircraft: Lancair Evolution
Do you happen to know the full name of the Mesa build shop? Thanks

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 11:06 

Do you happen to know the full name of the Mesa build shop? Thanks
Performance One Aviation http://performance1av.com/

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 13:23 

I've been looking at an Evolution for a couple years now, but have sat on the sidelines...
LOL, I know how that goes! This weekend I was recognized by a guy from when I went to his shop to inquire about building an Evolution. He closed that shop in 2011 so I've been at this awhile. Turns out, all that time I was getting older and the years I'd have to enjoy the plane were getting shorter. Who knew!
Quote:
...waiting for the plane to mature.
The factory and builder community are continually working on improvements so, like computers, no matter when I jumped, there would always be improvements that come afterwards that I'd miss; it's already happened and I'm not even finished yet! Most of them can be done as upgrades but inevitably there will be some that can't. At some point I just had to bite the bullet.
Quote:
A couple of items that concerned me were the gear issues and lack of cuffed wing.
See my previous post about the gear hydraulic revamp that should fix the bleed down problem. The only other gear issues I know of were some parts rubbing due to inadequate clearance that traced back to the gear supplier subcontracting the work out. The factory brought the gear manufacture back in-house, which is why I had to wait six weeks for mine, but the quality is much better now. I don't know what you mean about a cuffed wing, the Evolution has never had or needed one. Stalls are a routine part of the annual recurrent training, no drama. A few builders chose to leave off the stall strips called for in the plans for theoretically more speed but even then the stall is well-behaved, just with less burble/warning.
Quote:
Also, any chance of incorporating an experimental version of the nxi g1000?
Garmin's promised that for over a year and keeps missing dates. First it was to be announced at SnF, then Oshkosh. Latest is "4th quarter".
Quote:
Finally, any plans to incorporate the experimental version of the g700 autopilot on the planes with the -42 engines?
No, Garmin isn't interested. But as I mentioned elsewhere, the latest plan is to use the stronger g700 servos with the g500 autopilot. That's in flight test this week, I'm told.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 18:30 

Post Likes: +29
Aircraft: TBM960, XCub, Zlin N
Thanks for the feedback, Dave. I must have used the wrong terminology when I said cuffed wing. I meant having an inset for the de-ice boots in lieu of glueing them to the surface of the old wing. The speed penalty for having boots on the old wing was fairly significant. I have a couple of hours in a -135 plane and agree it has very docile handling characteristics. All in all, a great flying plane. The price point is attractive too, especially when you look at just the delta between this plane and the value of my current plane. At this point I'm still looking at options. Good luck with your build.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 19:24 

Post Likes: +4785
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
Thanks for the feedback, Dave. I must have used the wrong terminology when I said cuffed wing. I meant having an inset for the de-ice boots in lieu of glueing them to the surface of the old wing. The speed penalty for having boots on the old wing was fairly significant. I have a couple of hours in a -135 plane and agree it has very docile handling characteristics. All in all, a great flying plane. The price point is attractive too, especially when you look at just the delta between this plane and the value of my current plane. At this point I'm still looking at options. Good luck with your build.

I got an email today from Evolution saying that all new wings have a little recessed channel for deice boots so they are now flush.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 20:00 

Not good news. Glad I jumped when I did. Anybody want to buy an aircraft company?
Quote:
October 2nd, 2017

Evolution Aircraft Company will be immediately reducing its operations to minimum levels to close out its remaining orders. I have been in negotiations with potential investors for some time, but have decided that until one of these are secure we must reduce our operations down to only those required to complete the remaining orders we have on the books. This is mainly in the avionics and engine development portion of our business. We do have three complete Evolution kits remaining in inventory and are willing to sell these to anyone that understands our current situation. Once we can secure new investment to guarantee our ability to deliver on new sales, we fully intend to do so.

We will be contacting all customers with open orders immediately and continue to update them on progress. We will be providing more information very soon on specific aspects of the remaining operations, but our most immediate responsibility is to the many employees that we must lay off as part of this restructure. I would ask that you direct all contact to me for the time being. I may not be able to respond immediately but will do my very best to either contact you as quickly as I can or forward your request to the person who can.

We all appreciate your patience and understanding through this transition and I want you to know that I am fully committed to meeting all the obligations we have and to developing a plan quickly to resume full operations along with continued to support to the many aircraft in the fleet.

Bob Wolstenholme
President, CEO
bobw@evolutionaircraft.com

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 22:24 

Post Likes: +29
Aircraft: TBM960, XCub, Zlin N
Wow. I guess that simplifies the decision process. Maybe the Chinese will buy the company and certify the plane.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 23:18 

Post Likes: +209
Aircraft: M20R
Wow, that's unexpected.
This was posted on Evolution's website 9/26/2017: NEW VS USED: TOP 10 REASONS TO BUILD A NEW EVOLUTION. http://www.evolutionaircraft.com/blog/n ... -used-one/

And, we received this as part of a longer email:
"With our increased production ramp leadtimes are pretty short, we could get started later this month. Here is a shot of my plane with the new inlet, as always feel free to call, text or email me anytime!
Neal
Neal Longwill
neall@evolutionaircraft.com
(512) 917-6066"

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 23:25 

Post Likes: +1045
Aircraft: 70 A36TN, Build RV8
Wow. I guess that simplifies the decision process. Maybe the Chinese will buy the company and certify the plane.

Yeah, this will go Chinese like everything else. Wish I had XX,$$$,$$$ to go for this. Awesome plane.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 23:31 

Post Likes: +4637
Hate to be right on this one, but I’ve been saying it for a while- if you can’t insure it, then a buyer can’t finance it, and it’s doomed

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 23:40 

Post Likes: +53
Aircraft: Lancair evolution
A certified evolution will be a big headache for the likes of Tbm, meridian, the new setp Cessna turboprop, and the likes. I bet some Chinese company will take the bite and make lots of money. Hard to beat 1400 NM range 28 gal/hr PT 6 power longt TBO 4 people 28000feet pressurized it even beats the smurfy little single engine jets everybody is in love with.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 08:23 

Post Likes: +4637
A certified evolution will be a big headache for the likes of Tbm, meridian, the new setp Cessna turboprop, and the likes. I bet some Chinese company will take the bite and make lots of money. Hard to beat 1400 NM range 28 gal/hr PT 6 power longt TBO 4 people 28000feet pressurized it even beats the smurfy little single engine jets everybody is in love with.

The planes you mention have 6 seats, no?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 08:36 

Post Likes: +1251
Aircraft: Malibu PA46-310P

The planes you mention have 6 seats, no?

...and have cleared the significant hurdle of certification.

Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 41  Next