banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 18:10 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 41  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: You say you want an Evolution ...
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 23:31 

Post Likes: +1251
Aircraft: Malibu PA46-310P
How is the view from the rear seat of the evo? Looks like a tiny window.

Kevin

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 02:08 

Post Likes: +2330
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
Username Protected wrote:
How is the view from the rear seat of the evo?
I haven't sat back there in flight but Kelly has, she says it's fine.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 02:11 

Carbon cowling is two pieces, even the larger lower half with the inlet is light enough to lift easily with one hand.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 06:02 

Post Likes: +966
Company: SkewTLogPro
Aircraft: 1984 Bonanza A36TN
I doubt you can zoom in enough to see it but the N numbers are clear-coated carbon. They cost $1K per letter, $12K of a >$60K paint job. Doing a lot of the plane would be crazy expensive.

The painter says the epoxy in the carbon needs to be protected from UV. A clear coat that blocks UV yellows over time and is really hard to remove without damaging the carbon. So to get that look, they lay down a non-structural layer of carbon and use a non-UV blocking (so non-yellowing) clear coat over that.

This Evo is for sale and there is a picture on Controller of the n-number. I think I would've used a shorter n-number at $1K per letter. :)

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 07:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1824
Company: RE/MAX at the Lake
Aircraft: Cirrus SR22
Clear coat the plane. It looks AWESOME in the buff.
I'd love that! But it's not an option.

It's a shame to cover it up. Reminds me of older homes that were built in the 50's. Builders put gorgeous hardwood oak floors in them and then covered them up with linoleum.

General Motors figured out how to paint carbon fiber on the Corvette's exposed parts.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/ ... fiber.html

I can imagine an EVO with 40-70% cleared carbon and paint on the remainder for color, design and style.

I enjoy your thread, keep it up!

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 07:39 

Post Likes: +53
Aircraft: Lancair evolution
Better if I'd phrased it, "Glad I jumped in when I did." I'd hate to have missed my chance to do this. I'm enjoying the process far more than I expected and the final product is shaping up to be amazing.

You will enjoy this airplane more than you think
Just be careful here is something to wet your appetite notice tailwind.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 08:04 

Post Likes: +272
Aircraft: Lancair Evolution
The painter says the epoxy in the carbon needs to be protected from UV. A clear coat that blocks UV yellows over time and is really hard to remove without damaging the carbon. So to get that look, they lay down a non-structural layer of carbon and use a non-UV blocking (so non-yellowing) clear coat over that.

I'm fairly certain this is backwards. It's the epoxy in the carbon that yellows. Not the clear coat. You need a really high UV protecting clear to keep the epoxy from yellowing. That's why GM developed a special clear coat for the ZR1 roof panel. It was $6,000 a gallon. That would also explain part of the reason why they'd put down a non structural layer of carbon. It could have a special epoxy that would be more UV resistant, but probably not a very good structural epoxy.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 11:49 

It's the epoxy in the carbon that yellows. Not the clear coat. You need a really high UV protecting clear to keep the epoxy from yellowing. That's why GM developed a special clear coat for the ZR1 roof panel. It was $6,000 a gallon. That would also explain part of the reason why they'd put down a non structural layer of carbon. It could have a special epoxy that would be more UV resistant, but probably not a very good structural epoxy.
Makes sense. I think they just didn't use epoxy at all on the visible carbon, just tacked down the edges where it would be painted over anyway. With no epoxy, it's just a sheet of fabric laid over the surface, tacked down and painted over, leaving exposed the peek-a-boo numbers.

That matte gray paint on that plane is just gorgeous, I fell in love with it. But after the painter told me how much it costs, how easy it is to scuff and how impossible it is to touch up the romance was short lived.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 12:00 

Post Likes: +1258
Company: Underground Airways
Aircraft: Mooney M20K 231+
Very nice paint Dan. Your painter makes the different paint colours look seamless.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 16:56 

Post Likes: +272
Aircraft: Lancair Evolution
It's the epoxy in the carbon that yellows. Not the clear coat. You need a really high UV protecting clear to keep the epoxy from yellowing. That's why GM developed a special clear coat for the ZR1 roof panel. It was $6,000 a gallon. That would also explain part of the reason why they'd put down a non structural layer of carbon. It could have a special epoxy that would be more UV resistant, but probably not a very good structural epoxy.
Makes sense. I think they just didn't use epoxy at all on the visible carbon, just tacked down the edges where it would be painted over anyway. With no epoxy, it's just a sheet of fabric laid over the surface, tacked down and painted over, leaving exposed the peek-a-boo numbers.

That matte gray paint on that plane is just gorgeous, I fell in love with it. But after the painter told me how much it costs, how easy it is to scuff and how impossible it is to touch up the romance was short lived.

Ah, that would make some sense. That would take a lot of clear to cover the fiber though, lol.

Yes, I have always loved flat colors, but it can get messed up rather easily!

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017, 09:31 

Post Likes: +7927
Company: Minister of Pith
Aircraft: Piper PA28/140
EVOLUTION AIRCRAFT CO. APPEARS TO HAVE SHUTTERED

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... 1019epilot

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017, 10:20 

Post Likes: +432
Wow. Update Dave?

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017, 10:28 

Post Likes: +6969
Wow. Update Dave?

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=144527&view=unread#unread

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017, 11:25 

As the optimist said on the way down after he fell off a building, "so far, so good". :) More drama than I was hoping for at this point but it hasn't impacted me directly yet. They told us the day they laid off 22 of the 49 employees that nobody would be left answering the phones, I guess AOPA discovered that. But I've been on the phone with them this week. The most recent was a call just yesterday about avionics and what color leather I wanted on the instrument panel. With time zone differences, AOPA had probably finished typing their story by then.

The day of the layoff the owner called me to personally assure me that I would get everything and that has been true so far. If worst comes to worst, the nose gear is the only piece I'm missing that would be hard to source elsewhere. But it hasn't come to that yet.

I hear the owner has turned down an offer for the company that didn't meet his asking price; the bidders think they can do better with a bankruptcy. They're not far apart so hopefully something will be worked out.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 03:02 

Test fitting the panel blank. No really, I resisted the urge to make airplane noises ... mostly.

Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 41  Next