banner
banner

15 May 2024, 09:25 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: You say you want an Evolution ...
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2024, 12:05 

Post Likes: +10949
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Username Protected wrote:
Or you could let the VRs work exactly the way they always have, put a standard BMS on the batteries as I described above, and stick a capacitor on the bus to absorb transients. That’s the simplest solution to me.

That does sound simple but without doing the math I'd guess you'd need a pretty large capacitor to absorb the transients that a battery can.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 05 May 2024, 22:44 

Post Likes: +2392
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
Dave, what was the incompatible behavior of the TB batteries?
Transient voltage drop out, then back, all within 35 msecs. Some kind of periodic BMS self-test, I believe we were told. The story we (finally) got was that they'd been told avionics couldn't see anything shorter than 50 msecs, which they took to mean that as long as they kept it shorter than that they could do anything they wanted, without documenting it. They may be right about most avionics, but those transients were flagged by our touch screen, which uses hardware from the world of Formula 1 auto racing, causing it to throw a fault and reboot. Not documenting it is bad enough, but repeatedly denying it even after we found it and showed them the data cost us MONTHS of wasted effort.

PostPosted: 05 May 2024, 23:06 

Post Likes: +2022
Aircraft: Cessna 340A
Transient voltage drop out, then back, all within 35 msecs. Some kind of periodic BMS self-test, I believe we were told. The story we (finally) got was that they'd been told avionics couldn't see anything shorter than 50 msecs, which they took to mean that as long as they kept it shorter than that they could do anything they wanted, without documenting it. They may be right about most avionics, but those transients were flagged by our touch screen, which uses hardware from the world of Formula 1 auto racing, causing it to throw a fault and reboot. Not documenting it is bad enough, but repeatedly denying it even after we found it and showed them the data cost us MONTHS of wasted effort.

It's hard to believe they would be so ignorant. A 50ms dropout is indeed a spec in some standards (it's in MIL-STD-704, not sure about DO-160), but designing to run through that is to protect through a fault, not an acceptable behavior for a power source. (Not doubting your story, but it calls into question their competence / judgment.)

PostPosted: 06 May 2024, 10:18 

Post Likes: +10949
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
It's hard to believe they would be so ignorant. A 50ms dropout is indeed a spec in some standards (it's in MIL-STD-704, not sure about DO-160), but designing to run through that is to protect through a fault, not an acceptable behavior for a power source. (Not doubting your story, but it calls into question their competence / judgment.)

What strikes me as even more obnoxious behavior is that their engineers clearly adopted the idea that it was OK to deliberately cause an anomaly that anyone using the spec on the load side would expect to be anything but deliberate.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 06 May 2024, 18:06 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3758
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2

That's not good

PostPosted: 06 May 2024, 20:50 

Post Likes: +3891
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
Transient voltage drop out, then back, all within 35 msecs. Some kind of periodic BMS self-test, I believe we were told. The story we (finally) got was that they'd been told avionics couldn't see anything shorter than 50 msecs, which they took to mean that as long as they kept it shorter than that they could do anything they wanted, without documenting it.

Can you share which model battery? Do you know whether they planned to correct it (software update maybe)? Or do the TB batteries all still do this?

PostPosted: 07 May 2024, 00:12 

Can you share which model battery? Do you know whether they planned to correct it (software update maybe)? Or do the TB batteries all still do this?
It was the TX16. And since they didn't document or admit the behavior on this model, there's no way to know if they do the same on their other models. But I expect they'd use common BMS logic across their entire model line, so it's likely the same for all of them.

PostPosted: 07 May 2024, 00:18 

It was the TX16. And since they didn't document or admit the behavior on this model, there's no way to know if they do the same on their other models. But I expect they'd use common BMS logic across their entire model line, so it's likely the same for all of them.

Wow, good to know. Thanks for letting us know.

edit: Uh… just looked it up, and that is a marine battery… ?? Wonder if their aviation batteries do anything different. Would be good to ask.

PostPosted: 08 May 2024, 21:50 

OK, you guys made me dig through my records.

We first installed TB's TX16, the one that other Evos had used successfully. After we encountered the conflict and traced it back to the batteries, we swapped them out for TB17-2 batteries. They're TSO'd, and considerably more expensive, but exhibited the same behavior. Which buttresses the suspicion that it is common through their model range.

Last edited on 09 May 2024, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 May 2024, 09:07 

OK, you guys made me dig through my records.

We first installed TB's TX16, the one that other Evos had used, successfully. After we encountered the conflict and traced it back to the batteries, we swapped them out for TB17-2 batteries. They're TSO'd, and considerably more expensive, but exhibited the same behavior. Which buttresses the suspicion that it is common through their model range.

Yes, I agree it is probably common to all of them then.

Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

PWI, Inc. (Banner)