banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 06:11 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 41  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: You say you want an Evolution ...
PostPosted: 31 May 2021, 00:29 

Post Likes: +2329
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
Username Protected wrote:
Also any word on this one in Ohio? Does anyone know any details?
Authorized report from the investigators on site is that "there are no airworthiness concerns at this time". The right wing was found a half-mile from the crash site, looks like they flew into a thunderstorm.
Quote:
How is flying your plane going? Do you have it in the air?
Just passed 10 hours, still have some debugging to do before we can expand the envelope. So far we've had it up to 17,500 and 210 KTAS.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2021, 07:09 

Post Likes: +51
Aircraft: G2 SR22
I’ve jumped in and out of this thread reading with earnest over the past couple years since joining BT.

Congratulations - I’m super happy and excited for you!

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 01:09 

In-flight testing of the de-ice system. Thermocouples on each heating area, tufting to look for disturbed airflow, comparing input watts vs surface temp flying at different airspeeds, altitudes and OAT. Right now we manually set intensity and the software handles everything else, the plan is to close the feedback loop and have the software set the intensity based on OAT etc. Of course we'll still have a MAX setting :)
Attachment:
IMG_3811.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_3814.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_3816.jpg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 05:34 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4130
Company: Looking
Aircraft: Baron/Bonanza
If I haven’t already said it, that paint turned out great!

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 07:48 

Post Likes: +2731
Dave-

can you give a little more detail on the picture? are the TC leads under the tape? also, Is the heated leading edge under the paint and fiberglass? or is it applied after like a boot? or is the entire area outlined by the tape heated?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 08:38 

Post Likes: +23513
Aircraft: Prior C310,BE33,SR22
In a couple months, this thread - and airplane - will be FIVE YEARS old..

What an amazing journey!

- Mars Bonfire

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 09:26 

Post Likes: +1604
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
I really look forward to seeing this project in front of HBHQ at AirVenture.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 10:04 

Post Likes: +4776
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
How is all that speed tape not going to tear your clear coat off that incredible paint job?

Mike

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 14:49 

can you give a little more detail on the picture? are the TC leads under the tape?
The actual TC are on the heated areas, which are along the leading edges. Most of the tape is covering the wiring bringing the TC signal back to the cabin via one of the few openings in the fuselage, like this one, a hole that the entry step usually occupies
Attachment:
IMG_3820.jpg
Quote:
Is the heated leading edge under the paint and fiberglass? or is it applied after like a boot? or is the entire area outlined by the tape heated?
The heated area is a sandwich, starting with the carbon of the wing skin then fiberglass (for electrical insulation from the carbon), heating element, fiberglass, paint. Each layer goes on wet and has to dry before the next layer goes on. The heating element is a semi-conductive liquid that is brushed on in many thin coats then dries like paint. Here are the wings and tail after the top glass layer was on, showing the heated area
Attachment:
09 Glassed wings.jpg
Attachment:
11 Tail glassed.jpg
More details and videos on the website of the company that makes the LDI-ETIPS system
https://www.ldi.aero/
https://www.ldi.aero/en-fixed-wing

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 14:59 

How is all that speed tape not going to tear your clear coat off that incredible paint job?
Yeah, my de-ice dev budget includes a line-item for a touch up of the coat when all is said and done. That's why some people fly in primer for a while until they're done fiddling, but then you're doing a full dis- and re-assembly to paint the plane in pieces. It's a tradeoff.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 19:32 

Post Likes: +311
Dave, have you had a chance to do some fair weather flying outside of development mode? Curious to see how it performs with all the tweaks and detail that went into it.

Looks awesome

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 20:00 

Post Likes: +10530
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
The heated area is a sandwich, starting with the carbon of the wing skin then fiberglass (for electrical insulation from the carbon), heating element, fiberglass, paint. Each layer goes on wet and has to dry before the next layer goes on. The heating element is a semi-conductive liquid that is brushed on in many thin coats then dries like paint.

I expect that you'd need to control the thickness of the conductive layer very closely to get even heat distribution. How do you accomplish that? How many watts/in^2?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 23:40 

I expect that you'd need to control the thickness of the conductive layer very closely to get even heat distribution. How do you accomplish that? How many watts/in^2?
Now you've gone beyond my area of expertise, I just did as I was told by the experts who came over from Austria to supervise. Limitations of language and time meant we focused on 'what' to do rather than how or why. I suspect your answer may lie behind their insistence on laying it down in many, MANY thin coats. We also had to take care that the covering layer of fiberglass be consistently thin for even heating at the surface. Since we wanted the top of the sandwich to be flush and match the wing's designed airfoil, and the thickness of the top two layers (heating and top fiberglass) were set, that meant the thickness of the bottom fiberglass layer had to be calculated and adjusted to put the ultimate top surface at the right height. If we screwed it up, the only fix was to tear it off and start over. A wee bit tense.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 00:02 

Post Likes: +187
Aircraft: Vans RV-6; Archer II
Beautiful ship Dave. A real showpiece to be proud of - especially given your hand in building it. Best of luck with it. One day…

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 14:36 

Post Likes: +10530
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Now you've gone beyond my area of expertise, I just did as I was told by the experts who came over from Austria to supervise. Limitations of language and time meant we focused on 'what' to do rather than how or why. I suspect your answer may lie behind their insistence on laying it down in many, MANY thin coats. We also had to take care that the covering layer of fiberglass be consistently thin for even heating at the surface. Since we wanted the top of the sandwich to be flush and match the wing's designed airfoil, and the thickness of the top two layers (heating and top fiberglass) were set, that meant the thickness of the bottom fiberglass layer had to be calculated and adjusted to put the ultimate top surface at the right height. If we screwed it up, the only fix was to tear it off and start over. A wee bit tense.

I suppose that it's possible to control the thickness of each coat with the viscosity of the mix and the settings on the sprayer well enough that the distribution would be consistent. Then you could test the overall resistance after several coats and add another one if it was too high.

Do you know the total current and voltage for the system and whether or not all of it is on at the same time?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 41  Next