banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 08:48 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 41  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: You say you want an Evolution ...
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 08:26 

Post Likes: +1860
Aircraft: C-182, GA-7
Thanks for the information and valuable insight. I loved the plane at Oshkosh and was saddened at the loss of such an amazing “kit”plane when I read Hirschman’s article.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2018, 12:05 

Post Likes: +1180
Aircraft: Velocity XL-RG
Username Protected wrote:
With Evolution Aircraft's continuing downward spiral, I thought it prudent to insist I get what I could of the remaining parts owed me, principally avionics, out of the building before the doors were locked for good.

Are you building in their facility? If so, do you have any concerns that your plane could become captive should the doors get locked permanently?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2018, 12:24 

Post Likes: +2329
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
Are you building in their facility?
No, only the first 2 weeks are at their facility, typically. That's when you really need their jigs etc. Most people then take it to a build assist shop, although one or two hardy souls beavered away on their own. There were 6 factory-authorized build assist shops, typically run and/or staffed by guys who used to work at the factory, who also do maintenance and annuals. None of those shops has closed, to my knowledge, but some are ramping down their Evolution work and moving into other areas.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 00:41 

A long but worthwhile week. Villinger's guys showed up and we've been installing the anti-ice system. So far, so good. Hoping to finish up this weekend.
Attachment:
IMG_1807.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_1806.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_1804.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_1801.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_1798.jpg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 07:20 

Post Likes: +8576
Aircraft: Lancair LNC2 - SOLD
Looking good! "Anti-ice on elevator horns." There was a Service Bulletin on the old Lancair 2s to open the gaps between the elevator and rudder horns to 1/4" to prevent ice jams. (I never incorporated that because my plane is VFR only.)

P.S. I saw an Evo on the ramp at KAVL yesterday.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 08:06 

Post Likes: +2731
Dave-

what is the black stuff being painted on the de-ice surfaces?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 11:07 

what is the black stuff being painted on the de-ice surfaces?
Just primer. It's the icing on a multi-layer cake of conductive layers separated by insulating layers.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2018, 23:23 

Post Likes: +702
Aircraft: TBM - C185 - T206
Saw this today on the ramp in Calgary today.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Marc Bourdon

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 21:39 

Post Likes: +46
Aircraft: C-90, Evolution
Dave

Where are we on this build. I’ve followed along with great curiosity.

Mike

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 01:07 

I know how you guys always want pictures but there's been nothing photogenic since the deicing system install. The plane still looks the same, the small jobs we've done haven't changed the look.

Other news I didn't want to bore you guys with. The biggest remaining items included in the kit price that Evolution hasn't delivered are the panel build and wiring harness. The latest promise was for last March. We worked around it for awhile but have pretty much run out of other things to do.

Last month EAC called me and said they were going to lay off their avionics guys. But, they offered, if I and two other builders in the same boat paid them AGAIN, then they would keep the guys on to build our stuff and add the amount to what they already owed us, to be paid back if/when they get the new funding they've been seeking since October. And we'd have to pay not just for labor and parts but utility bills and past-due account balances with their vendors before any parts could be ordered. And if they start on my stuff this week, they'd deliver it by late October(!) they say.

Needless to say, I didn't find this a very appealing offer, although at least one of the other two builders did pay. Instead I started looking for an attorney, especially after I found that the owner of one of the two piston Evos (the other has his plane listed on Controller) is suing EAC to buy his plane back. Better get in line before they get a fatal judgement against them.

Meanwhile, at Oshkosh EAC announced they had found a so-far-anonymous new investor and hired a new CEO. I'm meeting with the new CEO on Monday to have, as they say in diplomatic circles, a frank exchange of views. Fun times!

So I'll be flying the A36 for a little longer than I'd planned but it will get finished. None of this is fatal, it's just time and money.

In happier news, we're ready to schedule the paint shop. And reports from the first Evo with the de-icing system have been very encouraging, keeping the wings clear down to -23C. We calculate some alternator changes should get us to our goal of -40C.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 08:22 

Post Likes: +5181
Company: Mayo Clinic
Aircraft: Planeless in RST
I know how you guys always want pictures but there's been nothing photogenic since the deicing system install. The plane still looks the same, the small jobs we've done haven't changed the look.

Other news I didn't want to bore you guys with. The biggest remaining items included in the kit price that Evolution hasn't delivered are the panel build and wiring harness. The latest promise was for last March. We worked around it for awhile but have pretty much run out of other things to do.

Last month EAC called me and said they were going to lay off their avionics guys. But, they offered, if I and two other builders in the same boat paid them AGAIN, then they would keep the guys on to build our stuff and add the amount to what they already owed us, to be paid back if/when they get the new funding they've been seeking since October. And we'd have to pay not just for labor and parts but utility bills and past-due account balances with their vendors before any parts could be ordered. And if they start on my stuff this week, they'd deliver it by late October(!) they say.

Needless to say, I didn't find this a very appealing offer, although at least one of the other two builders did pay. Instead I started looking for an attorney, especially after I found that the owner of one of the two piston Evos (the other has his plane listed on Controller) is suing EAC to buy his plane back. Better get in line before they get a fatal judgement against them.

Meanwhile, at Oshkosh EAC announced they had found a so-far-anonymous new investor and hired a new CEO. I'm meeting with the new CEO on Monday to have, as they say in diplomatic circles, a frank exchange of views. Fun times!

So I'll be flying the A36 for a little longer than I'd planned but it will get finished. None of this is fatal, it's just time and money.

In happier news, we're ready to schedule the paint shop. And reports from the first Evo with the de-icing system have been very encouraging, keeping the wings clear down to -23C. We calculate some alternator changes should get us to our goal of -40C.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 08:32 

Post Likes: +2936
Company: Dermatology
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
Dave,

A small unsolicited idea. They have laid off the avionics guys. That means those guys need/want work. Hire one or two of them to build you harness. Tell the new CEO that YOUR employee will be using their wireing/looming boards and tools. Get the avionics manufacturer to send YOU the avionics and give the pin connectors only to YOUR employee. That way if nothing else you can get your plane out of there. Might cost you a little less. :shrug:

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 08:43 

Post Likes: +4778
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
I can't remember if you are still going with the G900 or if you bailed on that and restarted with the G3X touch. I'll repeat that you do not want a G900 and a Tru Trak Sorcerer; you'll be extremely disappointed with this arrangement compared to the G3X. In either case, the G3X touch is what you want so if you are still pursuing the former, this situation might be a blessing in disguise. I would take possession of whatever hard avionics you hold and give Stein at Steinair a call and have him start working on your G3X touch system. If they are G900 stuff, start selling them; if they are G3X stuff, use them! Keep it simple with 2 screens. I rarely even use the second screen so I have no idea what people are doing with 3!. I can guarantee you that SteinAir will ship you a beautiful ready to install almost plug and play panel. You may need to "bribe" him to jump the waitlist.

Cancel hiring the lawyer and apply that money to the panel. The only one that will receive money out of that is the lawyer. In a dog pile, the second dog to jump on still ends up as a dead dog.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 11:33 

They have laid off the avionics guys. That means those guys need/want work. Hire one or two of them to build you harness.
But they haven't laid them off. That was in fact our plan. The avionics guys were told they'd be laid off end of March and we had them lined up to start working for us the next week. But one of the other stiffed builders let it slip to EAC and they didn't lay them off after all. They're still there, and since at least one of the other customers paid the extra money EAC now has enough to keep them on (and out of our hands) for a while.

Last edited on 12 Aug 2018, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 11:51 

I can't remember if you are still going with the G900 or if you bailed on that and restarted with the G3X touch. I'll repeat that you do not want a G900 and a Tru Trak Sorcerer
Tru Trak was never the plan, I originally was going with the G900NXI and GFC700 autopilot. But Garmin canceled the NXI upgrade for the 900 so I changed to the (considerably cheaper) G3X Touch. The price delta between the avionics I paid for and what I'm getting is a big chunk of what they owe me.
Quote:
I would take possession of whatever hard avionics you hold
Already did that, we took possession of all the avionics in February. Of course they said they'd be starting on my panel in just a few weeks so we'd just have to bring them right back but it didn't turn out that way.

Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 41  Next