Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: PA46 Malibu/Mirage
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 16:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +52
Aircraft: 601P
Quote:
Mike C, that was the one. Really surprising when things like that happen. Like crashing your Bonanza when the door opens. That only happened to me once!

You only crashed once when the door opened....?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 17:42 

Post Likes: +13
Username Protected wrote:
Brent

I came to this forum to post a very similar scenario. I have a TN A36 and really like it. I have two issues that the Malibu solves. AC and pressurization. You add AC to my A36 and my useful is back to similar levels as a continental Malibu. The problem I have is I really like my A36. Hard to buy another plane you hope you like more.

I like to fly at 12-17. My wife and kids hate masks. Kids are 8 and 2. We never have a weight issue for our family. We run out of space. Another issue a PA46 can solve. Without the young kids I'd probably not be looking.

I keep coming back to look at the PA46 also. It was really close between a PA46 and the Aerostar when I was shopping back in 2011. Now my mission is closer to the sweet spot of the PA46. Trying to decide between renting for a while longer and buying. Oh well, I can foresee that I will never stay with just one plane, I am going to change a few more times, (last kid is 13 tomorrow, so not much longer).

Tim

I've been learning all I can about those two airframes lately. Just for my education, how would you distinguish the mission of an aerostar from a PA46?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 18:20 

Post Likes: +5226
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
Just for my education, how would you distinguish the mission of an aerostar from a PA46?

Thanks.

1) two engines - duh, but for some people that's a deal breaker
2) speed - aerostar is a 220-260kt cruise airplane, piston PA46 is more 180-220
3) payload - probably more payload flexibility with an aerostar, especially as the later PA46's got heavy
4) hangar - aerostar has substantially tighter wingspan

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 19:07 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
Just for my education, how would you distinguish the mission of an aerostar from a PA46?

Thanks.

1) two engines - duh, but for some people that's a deal breaker
2) speed - aerostar is a 220-260kt cruise airplane, piston PA46 is more 180-220
3) payload - probably more payload flexibility with an aerostar, especially as the later PA46's got heavy
4) hangar - aerostar has substantially tighter wingspan

In addition:
5. I think the A* is more "all weather", and with the pressurization increase can climb very comfortably up to 28K where on the demo rides the piston PA46 seemed to "struggle" the last few K to 25K.
6. The A* was lower in capital costs but higher operating costs.

In terms off mission; I was flying more schedule oriented and often carrying four/five people for 900NM I needed the greater payload capacity, weather capability and speed.

Tim

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 19:50 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
5. I think the A* is more "all weather", and with the pressurization increase can climb very comfortably up to 28K where on the demo rides the piston PA46 seemed to "struggle" the last few K to 25K.

Similarly, I'd want to be in the Aerostar in icing conditions versus the PA46. Power is beneficial in icing situations and twins just have more of it.

The Aerostar will give a better ride in turbulence. Twins are heavier.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 21:07 

Post Likes: +1205
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II
I loved the idea of the Aerostar until I got in one. For me the PA-46 has more room for cockpit and cabin. Its really hard to beat the club seating and cabin class door on the PA-46.

Not at all slamming the A* for its performance, its a killer plane. A good buddy has one and loves it, which is why I started to consider it. But he has a smaller family and he is not as tall as I am. If my family was not so large (my 13 year old is 6ft and 21yr old is 6"5") then I would do a A* for sure. So many great things about it.

the PA-46 is much cheaper to operate than the A*. No free lunches.

Mike

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 22:07 

I loved the idea of the Aerostar until I got in one. For me the PA-46 has more room for cockpit and cabin. Its really hard to beat the club seating and cabin class door on the PA-46.

Not at all slamming the A* for its performance, its a killer plane. A good buddy has one and loves it, which is why I started to consider it. But he has a smaller family and he is not as tall as I am. If my family was not so large (my 13 year old is 6ft and 21yr old is 6"5") then I would do a A* for sure. So many great things about it.

the PA-46 is much cheaper to operate than the A*. No free lunches.

Mike

Yeah, for that tall you need the high density foam seats which are really thin. They give you an extra inch or two in height, and then the recliner options on the seat backs.
It would work, however the PA-46 is a better fit I think for really tall people because the seats are much closer to the floor giving more headroom and also a longer cabin giving space to stretch the legs.

Tim

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 22:11 

Post Likes: +928
Company: USAF Propulsion Laboratory
Aircraft: PA24, AEST 680, 421
Except no recline for the drivers seat in the Aerostar.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 22:34 

Except no recline for the drivers seat in the Aerostar.

Mine did. Not full, but had two or three positions. It was like that when I bought and then sold the plane.

Tim

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 15:50 

Post Likes: +54
Aircraft: C425, Pitts S2B
Brent

I came to this forum to post a very similar scenario. I have a TN A36 and really like it. I have two issues that the Malibu solves. AC and pressurization. You add AC to my A36 and my useful is back to similar levels as a continental Malibu. The problem I have is I really like my A36. Hard to buy another plane you hope you like more.

I like to fly at 12-17. My wife and kids hate masks. Kids are 8 and 2. We never have a weight issue for our family. We run out of space. Another issue a PA46 can solve. Without the young kids I'd probably not be looking.

It really is a tough decision. I sold my Maule last September and was ready to sell the bonanza and jump into a pressurized airplane. I just haven't found a fit that I am comfortable with yet that gives me enough benefits over the bonanza to justify turning my life upside down. The increased expense and time to get through the search, purchase, training and new airplane blues that comes with moving up hasn't comfortable presented itself yet.

I'm back looking at Barons, thinking a 58 would make a really great compromise for us. This has been a great discussion on the PA46, and I really appreciate all the input.

Brent

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 01:26 

Post Likes: +4
Aircraft: PA46
Brent

It really is a tough decision. I sold my Maule last September and was ready to sell the bonanza and jump into a pressurized airplane. I just haven't found a fit that I am comfortable with yet that gives me enough benefits over the bonanza to justify turning my life upside down. The increased expense and time to get through the search, purchase, training and new airplane blues that comes with moving up hasn't comfortable presented itself yet.

I'm back looking at Barons, thinking a 58 would make a really great compromise for us. This has been a great discussion on the PA46, and I really appreciate all the input.

Brent

Brent,
If you have a desire for pressurization and a mission for it. It is a complete game changer in my book don't discount the capability of it. The complexity is not an issue with the plane having pressure, it's the elements you can fly in and through that make it complex.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017, 23:21 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +12
Aircraft: PC12
It is the perfect family airplane, just as long as you're no taller than 5'11" and you remember to get a letter from God promising you that the engine will never quit. I went to an MMOPA meeting about 10 years ago. A speaker asked who in the audience had experienced an in-flight engine failure. A healthy fraction of the attendees raised their hands!

The original Continental design with the four-blade MT prop on it is crazy quiet inside, about 88 dBA in the front and 86 dBA in the back if I recall correctly. These are slightly better numbers than a Pilatus PC-12. The Lyc-powered versions are faster and noisier.

Most mechanics hate these super high-performance piston planes.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 19:30 

Post Likes: +973
Company: SkewTLogPro
Aircraft: 1984 Bonanza A36TN
It is the perfect family airplane, just as long as you're no taller than 5'11"

Today I climbed/contorted into the left seat of the demo Jetprop at SNF. It was a beautiful aircraft but I had to keep my head at a 45* angle with the seat all the way back. It was a lot smaller than I expected. It makes the A36 feel like a C-17.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 00:40 

Post Likes: +32
Aircraft: PA46 Mirage
I own a PA46 and love it! It's truly a remarkable aircraft with tremendous capability. I'm 6'1" and don't seem to have the same trouble others do getting in an out. It's a very roomy , comfortable and quiet plane, and my wife and teenagers love to travel in it.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 10:14 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9099
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
It is the perfect family airplane, just as long as you're no taller than 5'11"

Today I climbed/contorted into the left seat of the demo Jetprop at SNF. It was a beautiful aircraft but I had to keep my head at a 45* angle with the seat all the way back. It was a lot smaller than I expected. It makes the A36 feel like a C-17.

Same problem here, I was able to sit if I removed the pull out seat cushion, but far from ideal (I'm 6'4"). I wish they made the whole tube 2" wider.

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next