28 Mar 2024, 08:34 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: PA46 Malibu/Mirage
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 18:22 

Post Likes: +5224
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
The early Malibu's had a single gar-kenyon hydraulic pump that ran both the gear and the flaps. Nothing wrong with the system, but you could not operate the gear and the flaps at the same time. That was it. There were a few 1986 models that switched to electric flaps with the same brand hydraulic pump. I had one of these. No issues. Kevin Mead has said he thinks it is the best set up. Late 1986 piper switched to a Parker Hannifin pump and has retained that to present day. I'm not sure why the switch was made.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 20:41 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +784
Company: Wings Insurance
Aircraft: 2016 Cirrus SR22 G5
Username Protected wrote:
Going into the Meridian from a B36TC, I had to have initial training plus 25 hours with an instructor. The 10 or so hours you get in a sim at initial count toward this. And, speaking only for the Meridian, annual recurrent training is required.

Generally speaking Greg and for most of the underwriting companies - the sim time you log at initial training at Simcom or Legacy for the PA46 - does NOT count toward the dual or mentor time requirements the insurer may issue on top of completing the initial school. If the sim is a full motion sim (only Legacy has the full motion sims) you can perhaps negotiate this with an underwriter but it all depends on the situation, type policy underwritten, prior pilot experience etc. Generally speaking they do not count the time obtained in the sim at training to count towards a 25 hrs for instance mentor requirement. I have seen very few deviations from this with most of the PA46 insurers. If you got that approved on your policy is was definitely an exception and not the norm. Insurers however will let you log some of the (in this example 25 hrs) time prior to completing Simcom as long as it is accrued with a qualified PA46 pilot/instructor.

For the record the Simcom 'sims' are not full motion sims. They are actually FTD's (Flight Training Devices). The FTD's do not move but have visuals that of course move.

Just wanted to clarify your point. Thank you! :cheers:

E-mail: thauge@wingsinsurance.com

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 22:33 

Post Likes: +1055
Aircraft: V35

Hi Chris, I'm about 6'2" I really don't have a problem getting in or out. I am completely comfortable once I'm seated. I am also in the process of installing a 2014 interior, the newer seat backs have been moved back from the base a couple inches which makes even more room.

My interior will be the same as what Ivester posted which will make it easier to enter and exit.

I remember when I transitioned from my pa32 to pa46 my I felt I had more room in the pa46.

Heh...I thought there was definitely more room in the Meridian compared to a PA34. But next time you are out at Hangar 53 climb up in the Navajo. Old and slow, but big inside and hauls a load...

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 23:30 

Post Likes: +185
Aircraft: KA F90, Premier 1A
I had a 1986 Malibu for 10 years and over 1,000 hours. It was a great and very reliable aircraft. Never experienced any significant issues other than normal items for this caliber of aircraft. I.e. Turbos and top overhaul at normal intervals. It's been a while but I don't remember many, if any, canceled flights. Routinely flew it at 20-25,000 feet all over the USA, Alaska, Canada etc. I would buy one again!

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 00:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23612
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Turbos and top overhaul at normal intervals.

Are top overhauls that routine that they have "normal intervals"?

Mike C.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 08:36 

Post Likes: +3575
Aircraft: Piper M600
Turbos and top overhaul at normal intervals.

Are top overhauls that routine that they have "normal intervals"?

Mike C.

Not aware of many turbo powered pistons that don't need some top work before TBO. Those that do, I would put in the good luck, not usual category. Especially in engines used in owner flown GA that sit for longer periods between flights.

There are those that feel if you run them right, those early tops don't happen, but I know people that are very engine savvy that have engine gremlins pop up in planes that they have owned and treated right since new. Even have the engine logs to prove it. Luck of the draw. I would put it in the category of those that believe that living right prevents cancer. Helps, but doesn't always work.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 12:19 

I guess I should have said "normal expected intervals". Some where around 1,000 hours. For me I do not expect an engine with dual turbos, run consistently at high altitudes, to make it to the 2,000 hour TBO. That's wishful thinking. On a side note, I sold that plane to a guy who converted it to a Jet Prop. He kept it for a few years and resold it. It later crashed after takeoff due to a missing fuel cap, I believe. Two killed. The engine that was pulled out for the Jet Prop conversion was a 300 hour Continental IO550. It was installed in a Lancair IVP. During cruise flight the Prop flew off the engine and the pilot dead sticked it onto a beach, killing a jogger in the process. Not the ending I expected for a plane that I took such care in maintaining. Weird!

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 14:53 

Post Likes: +1203
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II
I guess I should have said "normal expected intervals". Some where around 1,000 hours. For me I do not expect an engine with dual turbos, run consistently at high altitudes, to make it to the 2,000 hour TBO. That's wishful thinking. On a side note, I sold that plane to a guy who converted it to a Jet Prop. He kept it for a few years and resold it. It later crashed after takeoff due to a missing fuel cap, I believe. Two killed. The engine that was pulled out for the Jet Prop conversion was a 300 hour Continental IO550. It was installed in a Lancair IVP. During cruise flight the Prop flew off the engine and the pilot dead sticked it onto a beach, killing a jogger in the process. Not the ending I expected for a plane that I took such care in maintaining. Weird!

Bob,

That is a crazy. Cant imagine the chances of your old plane being part of two fatal accidents. Nuts. Why would a fuel cap missing turn into a fatal crash? I would like to learn more, I don't think I have seen that accident report. Do you mind sharing the N number?

Mike

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 16:50 

WWW  Profile

Why would a fuel cap missing turn into a fatal crash?

Pilot distraction apparently.

https://ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation ... 1454&key=1

The pilot's failure to maintain control of the airplane during a VFR pattern for a precautionary landing, which resulted in an uncontrolled descent and subsequent collision with terrain. Also causal was the pilot's inadequate preflight inspection of the aircraft, which resulted in his failure to secure the fuel cap.

Sounds similar to the KVNY Citation accident with the open nose baggage door.

FLY THE PLANE.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 17:43 

Post Likes: +4
Aircraft: PA46

Hi Chris, I'm about 6'2" I really don't have a problem getting in or out. I am completely comfortable once I'm seated. I am also in the process of installing a 2014 interior, the newer seat backs have been moved back from the base a couple inches which makes even more room.

My interior will be the same as what Ivester posted which will make it easier to enter and exit.

I remember when I transitioned from my pa32 to pa46 I felt I had more room in the pa46.

How did you get a 2014 interior? Do you need an STC for that mod?

I bought a 2014 mirage that I am parting out when I'm done with the conversion I will sell my interior from my 2000. Don't think I need a stc but haven't done the project yet I will keep you informed when I get there.

If any one needs parts from a 2014 mirage I just might have what your looking for!....

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 22:44 

Mike C, that was the one. Really surprising when things like that happen. Like crashing your Bonanza when the door opens. That only happened to me once! I am sure you could find the other incident if you look. I found out about it when I got a call from a lawyer asking if the plane ever had a prop strike. Answer...NO. It was a factory new engine with 300 hours on it.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 09:47 

Post Likes: +1032
Aircraft: 77 TN A36
Brent

I came to this forum to post a very similar scenario. I have a TN A36 and really like it. I have two issues that the Malibu solves. AC and pressurization. You add AC to my A36 and my useful is back to similar levels as a continental Malibu. The problem I have is I really like my A36. Hard to buy another plane you hope you like more.

I like to fly at 12-17. My wife and kids hate masks. Kids are 8 and 2. We never have a weight issue for our family. We run out of space. Another issue a PA46 can solve. Without the young kids I'd probably not be looking.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 09:59 

Post Likes: +2848
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
Brent

I came to this forum to post a very similar scenario. I have a TN A36 and really like it. I have two issues that the Malibu solves. AC and pressurization. You add AC to my A36 and my useful is back to similar levels as a continental Malibu. The problem I have is I really like my A36. Hard to buy another plane you hope you like more.

I like to fly at 12-17. My wife and kids hate masks. Kids are 8 and 2. We never have a weight issue for our family. We run out of space. Another issue a PA46 can solve. Without the young kids I'd probably not be looking.

I keep coming back to look at the PA46 also. It was really close between a PA46 and the Aerostar when I was shopping back in 2011. Now my mission is closer to the sweet spot of the PA46. Trying to decide between renting for a while longer and buying. Oh well, I can foresee that I will never stay with just one plane, I am going to change a few more times, (last kid is 13 tomorrow, so not much longer).

Tim

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 10:01 

WWW  Profile

The engine that was pulled out for the Jet Prop conversion was a 300 hour Continental IO550. It was installed in a Lancair IVP. During cruise flight the Prop flew off the engine and the pilot dead sticked it onto a beach, killing a jogger in the process.

https://ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation ... 2419&key=1

The pilot stated that while in cruise flight he observed the instrument panel begin to vibrate heavily and oil begin to cover the wind screen before hearing a loud "bang." The engine then lost power as oil continued to obscure the wind screen. The pilot had no forward visibility and could not maintain the airplane's altitude. He elected to make an emergency landing on a nearby beach and during the landing the airplane struck and killed a pedestrian. Examination of the airplane revealed that the propeller assembly separated from the crankshaft and was missing. The propeller assembly and propeller flange were not recovered. An examination by the NTSB Materials Laboratory of the crankshaft revealed that the aft face of the fracture contained crack arrest marks. The fracture of the crankshaft was caused by multiple-origin fatigue cracks that emanated at the aft relief radius for the propeller flange. The records for this engine and airplane do not show an entry of a propeller strike. However, multiple-origin fatigue cracks that extend nearly 50% around the circumference of the aft relief radius for the propeller flange suggest that the propeller had struck an object prior to fracture of the crankshaft. In the absence of material anomalies, the fatigue cracking appears likely to have been caused by external impact stress, such as a propeller strike.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows: A loss of engine power due to the failure of the crankshaft as a result of a previous propeller strike.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 11:09 

Post Likes: +33
Aircraft: Phenom 300, Bell 407
On a side note, I sold that plane to a guy who converted it to a Jet Prop. He kept it for a few years and resold it. It later crashed after takeoff due to a missing fuel cap, I believe. Two killed. The engine that was pulled out for the Jet Prop conversion was a 300 hour Continental IO550. It was installed in a Lancair IVP. During cruise flight the Prop flew off the engine and the pilot dead sticked it onto a beach, killing a jogger in the process. Not the ending I expected for a plane that I took such care in maintaining. Weird!

Bob, I hope your not an organ donor! :ohno:

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next