banner
banner

17 Apr 2024, 23:59 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: My 75 hours in a Pilatus PC-12 NG
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 17:03 

Post Likes: +33
Aircraft: Mitsubishi Solitaire
I find reading about accidents informative. I think all of these aircraft are great planes.

For the Cessna 441 there have been 23 accidents since 1998:

4 disorientation/loss of control during flight
7 landing loss of control/gear failure
1 engine related
2 controlled flight into terrain
9 other (2 of which were crashed planes with lots of coke on board!)

The one conclusion I'm reaching is that landing is dangerous, although rarely fatal.

Nathan

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 17:07 

Post Likes: +564
Aircraft: PC-24 Citabria 7GCBC
Username Protected wrote:

Since 2008 when the SFAR was implemented (12 accidents):

0 disorientation/loss of control during flight
8 landing loss of control/gear failure
0 engine related (including running out of fuel)
2 other

Nate, how did you classify this one? Seems like it should be loss of control or Engine related? New MU2 pilot shut down an engine and lost control.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=162043

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 17:09 

Post Likes: +703
Aircraft: TBM - C185 - T206
On a recurrent with John Elford we went at altitude as I wanted to try to torque roll my TBM 700 C2 at the time.
We tried 4 times, slowed it down to 90 at idle, jammed full throttle.
No way this TBM wanted to torque roll for me. Maybe if your at stall speed uncoordinated, but we couldn't make it torque roll at 90 kts.
OWT to me.

Just a couple of comments on points raised about TBM's in the last couple of pages (and from a relatively inexperienced TBM pilot).

How you can fly a TBM uncoordinated for very long is beyond me. Every time you make a power change you have to retrim or you'll be flying in a roll. It's more obvious than any aircraft I've ever flown. If your automatically fuel balancing system gets out of whack you'd have the same issue I expect. Maybe you get the leans in the clouds but flying in the clear its extremely noticeable.

There has been a lot of conversation about torque roll in the TBM. During initial training we went to altitude, dirtied it up, slowed it down and then jammed (well, advanced in a rapid, yet courteous fashion) the throttle forward. No big deal. No rudder heroics required. On typical go arounds, and I've done them in practice and for real in IMC, you just advance the throttle smoothly and again, no issues. I'm not sure whether that's because of the vortex generator they added (and retrofitted), or other aerodynamic improvements (Marc will know he's the expert) but I think the issue is either largely corrected or overstated a bit.

The accident record is far worse for the TBM than the PC12 and the only thing that makes reasonable sense to me is the disparity between pro flown and owner flown between the two aircraft. There are a lot more pro flown PC 12's as a per cent of their fleet I believe. Pilots, as always, kill more airplanes than the other way around.

Please carry on. I'm learning and I appreciate it.

Marc Bourdon

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 17:10 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC
I find reading about accidents informative. I think all of these aircraft are great planes.

For the Cessna 441 there have been 23 accidents since 1998:

4 disorientation/loss of control during flight
7 landing loss of control/gear failure
1 engine related
9 other (2 of which were crashed planes with lots of coke on board!)

The one conclusion I'm reaching is that landing is dangerous, although rarely fatal.

Nathan

Nathan, I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with for Merlin accidents. It is a bit of a chore to seperate them from Metro accidents. What I have found is mostly runway excursions.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 17:13 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1961
Aircraft: BE-TBD
didn't that fella torque roll one at College Park? Took the insurance money, bought a phenom and finished the job a few years later.
I'm thinking we can chalk those two incidents up to worst pilot that side of the mississippi

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 17:15 

Nate, how did you classify this one? Seems like it should be loss of control or Engine related? New MU2 pilot shut down an engine and lost control.

I think I put that under "other" although I guess I need a category for "stupid pilot tricks." I wasn't exactly sure how to categorize it since there was nothing wrong with the engine and he didn't exactly get disoriented and lose control. Apparently one of the more common mistakes in a multi, though, at least according to my MU-2 instructor.

Nathan

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 17:30 

Post Likes: +114
Aircraft: C441, C310N
My theory is owner flown airplanes are probably going to see more spatial d accidents. In my experience hand flying in IMC is a skill which atrophies relatively quickly. I fly 100ish hours a year and outside of training very very little of that is IMC outside of a/p controlled cruise. Even if I hand flew every arrival and departure it wouldn't be enough to stay current.

I go to Simcom once a year and fly under the hood 4-6 times a year to combat it. I'm guessing many don't.

Right now we focus on currency very generally and mostly related to legal currency. It would make more sense to break things into dangerous tasks and track currency in those to me. Top of the list would be hand flying in IMC and IMC go arounds.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 17:35 

Could only find 13 accidents in all types of Merlins since 1998.

1 engine related (caught fire during taxi)
1 controlled flight into terrain
3 other

That's the last type, I promise, was able to do this while waiting for simulations to run but they are finished.

Nathan

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 17:37 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG
Cars sold in 2016 in the US:

Toyota Camry - 388,618
Toyota Corolla - 378,210
Honda Civic - 366,927
Porsche Cayman - 3,590
Audi R8 - 495
Porsche 918 - 1

If you choose to drive a Camry I won't argue with your choice. I drive something a lot less popular. :)

"sold" and "flying" are not the same thing.

Where can one buy a 2016 MU2?

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 17:50 

Post Likes: +8779
Company: airlines (*CRJ,A320)
Aircraft: Travel Air,T-6B,etc*
On a recurrent with John Elford we went at altitude as I wanted to try to torque roll my TBM 700 C2 at the time.
We tried 4 times, slowed it down to 90 at idle, jammed full throttle.
No way this TBM wanted to torque roll for me. Maybe if your at stall speed uncoordinated, but we couldn't make it torque roll at 90 kts.
OWT to me.

But that's the difference- slow it down another 10 knots or so, maybe 20, trim the nose up a lot more, and try it again. Maybe pull back extra on the yoke to "simulate" bad pilot control inputs. Of course, don't actually do that. But you're right- a real life torque roll loss of control is very likely accompanied by an uncoordinated stall (stall with the ball out to one side).

The first two things are bad pilot mistakes that nobody intentionally does; the third thing I wouldn't recommend because departing controlled flight at max power puts a lot of stress on the propeller system- the combination of torque and gyroscopic effects puts a lot of stress on the bearings (not to mention intentional aerobatics are probably not approved for that type).

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 19:10 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V

That's the Inhofe accident.

It was literally his very first solo in the plane after completing an initial SFAR program. Weather was super good.

The web page you linked says:

Pilot inadvertently shutoff LH engine during approach.

That is a possible cause, but the evidence for that is very circumstantial. The NTSB found a particular valve closed and may have concluded the valve was closed electrically (via the switch some think the pilot used mistakenly) but it also closes mechanical via the condition lever feather stop (which we know was used because the prop was feathered). So the position of the valve doesn't clearly indicate a mistake by the pilot.

For the record, the NTSB did not say the pilot had shutdown the engine inadvertently. Their findings:

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to

The pilot's loss of airplane control during a known one-engine-inoperative condition. The reasons for the loss of control and engine shutdown could not be determined because the airplane was not equipped with a crash-resistant recorder and postaccident examination and testing did not reveal evidence of any malfunction that would have precluded normal operation.

The pilot made one major mistake, leaving the gear down. Had he raised the gear, it should have been no problem.

I will note that I flew this accident scenario in my plane, left the gear down, and I was able to climb. Inhofe had a -10 equipped K model which is virtually identical to my -10 equipped M model. So even leaving the gear down is still survivable, though with less margin.

It is entirely possible Inhofe flipped the wrong switch and shut off fuel to the left hand engine. I don't think so, however, because the error would have generally turned off BOTH engines (the proper action was to turn off tip fuel transfer). The right engine did not fail, so both switches were not actuated, which is inconsistent with switch misuse. The "wrong switch" cause has been promoted by Mitsubishi folks as the reason, however.

The NTSB emphasized the lack of evidence, perhaps with the idea the pilot's father, a Senator, would push for getting more FDR like devices in aircraft.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 19:17 

Post Likes: +860
Aircraft: PA12
didn't that fella torque roll one at College Park? Took the insurance money, bought a phenom and finished the job a few years later.
I'm thinking we can chalk those two incidents up to worst pilot that side of the mississippi

That's what I remember. But it was at Gaithersburg GAI not College Park CGS. College park would be a bit short for either plane. I've got my Pin there and it's a bit short for the Baron but doable.

8/17 CL65
3/17 CE500

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 22:04 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1879
Company: Jcrane, Inc.
Aircraft: C441, RV7A
That's the last type, I promise
Nathan

I wouldn't mind if you kept going, great info, thanks!

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 11:33 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55
That's the last type, I promise
Nathan

I wouldn't mind if you kept going, great info, thanks!

Yeah. Thanks Nathan. Looking at a Merlin it's nice to know. Figures though: long legs, high ref speeds.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 12:14 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC
Could only find 13 accidents in all types of Merlins since 1998.

1 engine related (caught fire during taxi)
1 controlled flight into terrain
3 other

That's the last type, I promise, was able to do this while waiting for simulations to run but they are finished.

Nathan

The landing loss of control issues are likely due to poor use of nose wheel steering and the fact that main gear are further apart than the nose gear to main gear distance. You really want to get it under control with differential thrust first and when slowed down use the NWS.

Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next