banner
banner

25 Apr 2024, 15:48 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: My 75 hours in a Pilatus PC-12 NG
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 12:18 

Post Likes: +703
Aircraft: TBM - C185 - T206
My guess is these plane took off with low fuel levels or unbalance tank to start with. Fuel controller were left to manual and got the problem worst.
Pretty hard to be out of trim in the G1000 TBMs as you have rudder trim that keeps the ball in the center when flying on autopilot.

I do get a CAS message sometime if I took off on the lower level tank and get more than 15 gal fuel unbalance. Easy fix just switch to the higher level tank and it fix itself pretty quick.

Username Protected wrote:
That first accident does not look to be an engine failure, but a failure to trim the airplane which resulted in fuel being ported weird causing lack of fuel to the engine. Apparently he was seriously out of trim. Then he fails to feather the engine and cannot make an airport 10miles away from 7k feet.

Mark B, how does the fuel system work in the TBM should there be a fuel control unit failure. In the PC12, we have the MOR lever?

The one engine failed to run. The crash occurred because the one engine didn’t run. This is not the only crash in a TBM that may be due to mis-trimmed condition causing fuel unporting and engine failure. It may have happened to my friend in his 850 in VFR conditions, leading to a crash and severe injuries. Just a guess, but you have to wonder whether TBM’s are unusually sensitive to lateral trim imbalance for the uncoordinated condition not to be so extreme that it was noticed by two pilots, but still be able to starve the engine of fuel. An aircraft engine should not quit for a non-extreme ball out of center.

Marc Bourdon

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 12:39 

Post Likes: +33
Aircraft: Mitsubishi Solitaire
Cars sold in 2016 in the US:

Toyota Camry - 388,618
Toyota Corolla - 378,210
Honda Civic - 366,927
Porsche Cayman - 3,590
Audi R8 - 495
Porsche 918 - 1

If you choose to drive a Camry I won't argue with your choice. I drive something a lot less popular. :)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 12:55 

Post Likes: +361
Aircraft: Bonanza G36

Toyota Camry - 388,618
Toyota Corolla - 378,210
Honda Civic - 366,927
Porsche Cayman - 3,590
Audi R8 - 495
Porsche 918 - 1

If you choose to drive a Camry I won't argue with your choice. I drive something a lot less popular. :)

If a Porsche 918 crashes into a wall due to an inexperienced driver, does that make it unsafe?

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 12:58 

Post Likes: +8782
Company: airlines (*CRJ,A320)
Aircraft: Travel Air,T-6B,etc*

Toyota Camry - 388,618
Toyota Corolla - 378,210
Honda Civic - 366,927
Porsche Cayman - 3,590
Audi R8 - 495
Porsche 918 - 1

If a Porsche 918 crashes into a wall due to an inexperienced driver, does that make it unsafe?

I was driving along and that wall came out of nowhere!

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 13:00 

Post Likes: +7090
Aircraft: PC12NG, G3Tat

Potentially, the car could be dangerous due to it's speed and lack of automated safety features.

You can fix those by getting a Tesla :D

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 13:03 

Post Likes: +8782
Company: airlines (*CRJ,A320)
Aircraft: Travel Air,T-6B,etc*
Mike, I'll second what Jason states, even with the application of full power, the Pilatus does not want to roll, yaw slightly, yes, but no roll. I'm not an engineer, but I do know that the engine is canted about 2 degrees to offset that, as well as having the radome on the very outside of the right wing.

Even in a transition from landing to full power go around, the airplane has very little in the way of perceived torque.

Interesting- and good to know. Pilatus made this a priority and they focused their efforts accordingly and successfully.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 13:12 

Just quickly looked through the 49 serious accidents for the TBM listed in the Aviation Safety Database. Here's my breakdown:

18 disorientation/loss of control during flight
15 landing loss of control/gear failure
6 engine related
6 controlled flight into terrain
4 other

I also noticed five accidents where the pilot lost control upon application of full power on go-around attempts.

Not maligning the TBM, just to be clear! :)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 13:48 

Here's the breakdown for the 43 accidents for the PC-12:

9 disorientation/loss of control during flight
8 engine related
4 controlled flight into terrain
7 other

No accidents where the pilot lost control upon application of full power on go-around attempts.

Nathan

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 13:53 

Post Likes: +703
Aircraft: TBM - C185 - T206
give me the same breakdown for the MU2.

Here's the breakdown for the 43 accidents for the PC-12:

9 disorientation/loss of control during flight
8 engine related
4 controlled flight into terrain
7 other

No accidents where the pilot lost control upon application of full power on go-around attempts.

Nathan

Marc Bourdon

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 15:04 

give me the same breakdown for the MU2.

I've been working on that. Here's the breakdown for the 47 accidents for the MU-2 since 1998:

6 disorientation/loss of control during flight
5 engine related (including running out of fuel)
10 controlled flight into terrain
11 other

Since 2008 when the SFAR was implemented (12 accidents):

0 disorientation/loss of control during flight
8 landing loss of control/gear failure
0 engine related (including running out of fuel)
2 controlled flight into terrain
2 other

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 15:06 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55

Toyota Camry - 388,618
Toyota Corolla - 378,210
Honda Civic - 366,927
Porsche Cayman - 3,590
Audi R8 - 495
Porsche 918 - 1

It's the "torque" that's going to kill you in the Porsche.

Seriously this thread absolutely sucks. I know jack %#$@, never been in a PC12, but I do know they're totally awesome, and absolutely know they don't have the torque roll a TBM does. And anybody in anything can mismanage fuel.

And anybody defensive about their plane has insecurity issues. I love all the suckers.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 15:39 

Post Likes: +7090
Aircraft: PC12NG, G3Tat
Seriously this thread absolutely sucks. I know jack %#$@

Sam, we may have to get you to some anger management classes or up flying....... :D

We do know that all planes can kill you.

Much of this discussion has merit when it comes to understanding the systems etc. on each aircraft type.

Fuel for example, in the PC12, if there is a fuel imbalance it automatically balances it for you, meaning the airplane automatically switches on the pump from the fullest tank and pumps it to the emptier tank.

Does this make it better/worse than a TBM/MU2/MerlinIIIC ( :tongue: )/441 I don't know. Just chatting and presenting the values for the airplane that I know and fly.

I'm gonna do some flying with John L as well as some flying with some of the MU2 fellas. It will be awesome to get feedback from both sides on the merits/de-merits of each airplane......

I love arguing with Mike C, Martti, Crandall, Klassen, etc. It improves my knowledge base, potentially theirs, so I think discussions like this are good and healthy. They're all passionate and crazy about aviation, just like me!!

Frankly it makes me think about my aeronautical decision making, and that's a good thing.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 15:49 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8430
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Just a couple of comments on points raised about TBM's in the last couple of pages (and from a relatively inexperienced TBM pilot).

How you can fly a TBM uncoordinated for very long is beyond me. Every time you make a power change you have to retrim or you'll be flying in a roll. It's more obvious than any aircraft I've ever flown. If your automatically fuel balancing system gets out of whack you'd have the same issue I expect. Maybe you get the leans in the clouds but flying in the clear its extremely noticeable.

There has been a lot of conversation about torque roll in the TBM. During initial training we went to altitude, dirtied it up, slowed it down and then jammed (well, advanced in a rapid, yet courteous fashion) the throttle forward. No big deal. No rudder heroics required. On typical go arounds, and I've done them in practice and for real in IMC, you just advance the throttle smoothly and again, no issues. I'm not sure whether that's because of the vortex generator they added (and retrofitted), or other aerodynamic improvements (Marc will know he's the expert) but I think the issue is either largely corrected or overstated a bit.

The accident record is far worse for the TBM than the PC12 and the only thing that makes reasonable sense to me is the disparity between pro flown and owner flown between the two aircraft. There are a lot more pro flown PC 12's as a per cent of their fleet I believe. Pilots, as always, kill more airplanes than the other way around.

Please carry on. I'm learning and I appreciate it.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 15:52 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8430
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Fuel for example, in the PC12, if there is a fuel imbalance it automatically balances it for you, meaning the airplane automatically switches on the pump from the fullest tank and pumps it to the emptier tank.

Does this make it better/worse than a TBM...

The TBM self balances as well. Sixty seconds on the ground and 10 minutes in the air. Unless it fails of course. Or the pilot forgets to turn on the system.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 16:28 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55
Seriously this thread absolutely sucks. I know jack %#$@

Sam, we may have to get you to some anger management classes or up flying....... :D

We do know that all planes can kill you.

Much of this discussion has merit when it comes to understanding the systems etc. on each aircraft type.

Does this make it better/worse than a TBM/MU2/MerlinIIIC ( :tongue: )/441 I don't know. Just chatting and presenting the values for the airplane that I know and fly.

I'm gonna do some flying with John L as well as some flying with some of the MU2 fellas. It will be awesome to get feedback from both sides on the merits/de-merits of each airplane......

I love arguing with Mike C, Martti, Crandall, Klassen, etc. It improves my knowledge base, potentially theirs, so I think discussions like this are good and healthy. They're all passionate and crazy about aviation, just like me!!

Frankly it makes me think about my aeronautical decision making, and that's a good thing.

Easy on the internet to misinterpret what someone says. Arguing, debating are all great ways to obtain knowledge, learn how to understand another's perspective, and reach compromising positions. I firmly believe in the process. Defensive posturing? Not so much. Usually the others guys ears are shutdown.

Anger? :D Nor even close. Boredom? Sure. And yes some comments are quite informative. But, no, I don't dance the social media "dance" and play it cute. It's just not me. YMMV

Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next