27 Apr 2024, 18:35 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Gear Swing issue on Piper Lance
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 13:40 

Post Likes: +5310
Aircraft: PA32RT-300T
On the jacks, gear swings perfectly. In flight, I'm getting a delay between a few seconds to close to a minute before the gear in transit light illuminates.

In addition, the gear will stop just shy of full retraction most times, leaving the light on. Then, Ill get the signature "thump" and the light goes off. This could be 10 seconds to a minute or two in flight.

So on the ground, no issues at all, AP calls it good. In flight, problem. A few months ago, we were having this issue and we replaced the up solenoid. Seemed fine for a few flights. Now, I'm back to the same issue.

Thinking it was hanging on something, Ive tried to rock the wings or do a small chandell with no success.

Couple of times it been slow to react to the gear switch down as well. That leads me to believe I have an issue with something hanging when going up and maybe a gear switch issue as well in the cockpit. If it was just the switch, we shouldn't have the issue where the gear stops just short of full retract, right?

Not really sure where to start as the AP went over the gear system last Aug, replacing the solenoid and the Annual AP gave the gear 5 swings one jacks with an all clear.

Post subject: Re: Gear Swing issue on Piper Lance
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 14:22 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +242
Company: W. John Gadd, Esq.
Aircraft: C55 Baron
Username Protected wrote:
On the jacks, gear swings perfectly. In flight, I'm getting a delay between a few seconds to close to a minute before the gear in transit light illuminates.

In addition, the gear will stop just shy of full retraction most times, leaving the light on. Then, Ill get the signature "thump" and the light goes off. This could be 10 seconds to a minute or two in flight.

So on the ground, no issues at all, AP calls it good. In flight, problem. A few months ago, we were having this issue and we replaced the up solenoid. Seemed fine for a few flights. Now, I'm back to the same issue.

Thinking it was hanging on something, Ive tried to rock the wings or do a small chandell with no success.

Couple of times it been slow to react to the gear switch down as well. That leads me to believe I have an issue with something hanging when going up and maybe a gear switch issue as well in the cockpit. If it was just the switch, we shouldn't have the issue where the gear stops just short of full retract, right?

Not really sure where to start as the AP went over the gear system last Aug, replacing the solenoid and the Annual AP gave the gear 5 swings one jacks with an all clear.

This happens at all of the book gear related extension speeds?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 14:44 

I have not tried it at max gear speeds. On climb out around 90 knots is pretty predicable and base to final around 85 knots on extension is where the operations are occurring.

This happens at all of the book gear related extension speeds?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 16:11 

Post Likes: +1965
Aircraft: Columbia 400
I think you might have a weak power-pack. It's a electric motor/hydraulic pump assembly. When they get old, one of the failure modes is that they don't quite do their job when "challenged".

The Piper gear system on the PA28/32/34/44 series is very simple. The only thing that holds the gear up is hydraulic pressure. There are no uplocks. The pump runs, pulls them up and they stay up as long as there's pressure. There's a pressure switch which turns on the pump in flight if the pressure drops. The emergency release is simply a mechanical valve that relieves all the pressure in the system and the gear fall and lock on their own.

A careful inspection is in order, to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere, but also that the hoses are all clean and free of debris.

But this sounds like a power pak starting to go.

The in-transit light works differently depending on which serial number you have. In some models, the light comes on any time the pump is powered, in others it comes on when any gear is out of position.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 17:20 

My transit light does stay on. Sometimes for a minute or so. Then, the "thump" of the gear seating in the up position and it goes out.

There have been a few times where moving the gear lever up did nothing. 3 green, no transit light, no movement. If I leave it up, eventually it then cycles the gear up. That's what makes me think the switch may have an issue too. Switch movement and nothing happens.

Thanks for the insight.

I think you might have a weak power-pack. It's a electric motor/hydraulic pump assembly. When they get old, one of the failure modes is that they don't quite do their job when "challenged".

The Piper gear system on the PA28/32/34/44 series is very simple. The only thing that holds the gear up is hydraulic pressure. There are no uplocks. The pump runs, pulls them up and they stay up as long as there's pressure. There's a pressure switch which turns on the pump in flight if the pressure drops. The emergency release is simply a mechanical valve that relieves all the pressure in the system and the gear fall and lock on their own.

A careful inspection is in order, to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere, but also that the hoses are all clean and free of debris.

But this sounds like a power pak starting to go.

The in-transit light works differently depending on which serial number you have. In some models, the light comes on any time the pump is powered, in others it comes on when any gear is out of position.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 22:54 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3718
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2
Have you checked the hydraulic fluid level in the power pack? My TB-20 uses the same system (at one point I think Socata even used the same pump) and if the fluid level gets low it will do the same.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 11:04 

Have you checked the hydraulic fluid level in the power pack? My TB-20 uses the same system (at one point I think Socata even used the same pump) and if the fluid level gets low it will do the same.

Terry

Yes , it was the first thing we did. It took a few CCs and was not even close to being low.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 11:24 

Post Likes: +135
Aircraft: PA28-140
For my two cents Larry is correct, it sounds like you have a weak power pack.

The power pack has to build enough pressure to release it off the locks and start the cycle, with additional of air loading, the power pack has to work even harder. That is why everything looks good on jack, but when you cycle the gear in flight it is slow to operate.

Have your mechanic check the system pressure, there is a procedure in the maintenance manual on the correct pressures..

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 11:55 

For my two cents Larry is correct, it sounds like you have a weak power pack.

The power pack has to build enough pressure to release it off the locks and start the cycle, with additional of air loading, the power pack has to work even harder. That is why everything looks good on jack, but when you cycle the gear in flight it is slow to operate.

Have your mechanic check the system pressure, there is a procedure in the maintenance manual on the correct pressures..

Will do. Ill report back. He just took a couple planes in so it may be a few weeks at the earliest.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 12:54 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +244
Aircraft: CE-650; LR-45; G7500
I had a similar issue on one several years ago. Worked great on jacks but not in the air. Emergency extension would not work on jacks tho.
The mod for the override switch had been accomplished just prior by another shop and the mechanic had used teflon tape on the "B" nut fittings and some was in the line preventing full fluid flow except under perfect conditions, I.e. No airflow etc.
We sent the power pack out for testing and it was fine.
Check for any restrictions in the lines, make sure all your bushings and fittings are in good shape, this can cause binding in the gear. Check the engine mount for any cracks around the gear fittings. Binding causes it to crack sometimes.
Let us know what you find out please.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 13:31 

Post Likes: +16650
Company: Mountain Airframe LLC
Look closely at the power pack for a fancy decal that says "Kelly Aerospace.........". If you have the decal, sorry, you likely need to send out for overhaul or exchange. Larry is right on.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 17:55 

Look closely at the power pack for a fancy decal that says "Kelly Aerospace.........". If you have the decal, sorry, you likely need to send out for overhaul or exchange. Larry is right on.

Del

This is the same plane we spoke about in April. I'll take a look at the power pack.

Thanks. :cheers:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 21:16 

After reading up abit, I'm noting that many owners are complaining about most "brands" of these power packs.

Looks like about $900/exchange plus labor on my end. Looking back, I discussed "slow gear" with the prebuy AP. He said it's working, just slow. He went over the components and said the gear was fine.

Would his observation of slow gear be an indicator of a power pack issue too?

And is there a go to shop for these things?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 21:30 

Post Likes: +16650
Company: Mountain Airframe LLC

After reading up abit, I'm noting that many owners are complaining about most "brands" of these power packs.

Looks like about $900/exchange plus labor on my end. Looking back, I discussed "slow gear" with the prebuy AP. He said it's working, just slow. He went over the components and said the gear was fine.

Would his observation of slow gear be an indicator of a power pack issue too?

And is there a go to shop for these things?

It could be........mind you I'm not a Piper guy. Have you ever noticed, after the gear is up and the transit lights out............seen the transit light come on and/or hear the actuator? The power pack can have an internal leak, allowing flow and pressure to decrease and bleed off. This can cause the gear to operate slow. It can cause ithe gear to operate slower in flight vs. on jacks. It can also cause the intermittent/inconsistent issues you describe.
Then add to this, one of the 3 gear actuators may be by-passing internally. In other words; you can have a hydraulic leak and never lose fluid

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 21:44 

It could be........mind you I'm not a Piper guy. Have you ever noticed, after the gear is up and the transit lights out............seen the transit light come on and/or hear the actuator? The power pack can have an internal leak, allowing flow and pressure to decrease and bleed off. This can cause the gear to operate slow. It can cause ithe gear to operate slower in flight vs. on jacks. It can also cause the intermittent/inconsistent issues you describe.
Then add to this, one of the 3 gear actuators may be by-passing internally. In other words; you can have a hydraulic leak and never lose fluid

I've never heard or seen that happen, yet. Once it's up, no more lights. I cannot hear the pump when it's running.

With how prevalent the power pack issues, do you think it's a better shot going after it first or is there a cheap(er) way to check the actuators?

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next