27 Apr 2024, 06:01 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Any Bo drivers ever fly a Cessna TTX
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2020, 16:55 

Aircraft: Bonanza F33A
Username Protected wrote:
Last time I landed at BQ1 (2500 feet with trees on both ends) I stopped with 1000+/- feet of runway left. Because I need to fly Tuesday and my home airport will be closed until Tuesday night I am taking my 350 to 28A for the night (2300 feet) Tuesday I am picking up a vendor at
9A9 (3300 foot grass strip) and headed to visit a supplier in Eastern TN then returning via same grass strip then home to EQY.
Once you get used to this airframe you do NOT have to fly it like an airliner.
If you go out and stall it over and over, then accelerated stalls then slow flight until you get used to it. Then 3 weeks later when you doubt it was really that forgiving go out and practice some more.
The versatility of this plane is much of the reason I do not have a 58P or Malibu currently.
Too many short/grass strips I would miss.
VNE of 235
Slow up a bit first then deploy speed brakes and descend @ 6,000 feet per minute with indicated staying under 220....SMOOTH AIR OF COURSE

My first 500 landings were "accidental contact with runway"

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2020, 16:56 

Aircraft: Bonanza F33A
How does it perform on and off grass strips?

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2020, 18:05 

Post Likes: +3075
Aircraft: 1965 Debonair C33

Is that a joke?

I don’t know much and was never in one but I have talked to owners. I do not think grass fields are in the cards.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2020, 20:04 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +593
Aircraft: L-39 Albatros

I was based at a 4000' grass strip in Argentina with my Columbia 400 for 4 months with no issues. Here's a video of that grass strip (the takeoff is in the first 1.5 minutes of the video):

[youtube]https://youtu.be/lRasFR5nb4Q[/youtube]

I also did touch n goes at Ft. Worth Spinx (KFWS) on the grass runway, and at Llano (KAQO), before my trip to Argentina just to make sure it was ok. If the grass is wet, just make sure to add plenty of takeoff distance.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2020, 20:44 

Post Likes: +1728
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria

Chris flies a 400 and says grass runways are ok from experience

I flew a Columbia 350 for 1600 hours and say grass runways are ok from my experience.

I did crack a wheel pant on a beautiful 3,000 foot not so smooth runway in PA.
Cost a few hundred dollars to repair....SO WORTH IT.

Dirt not so smooth runway in Utah...did not crack a wheelpant...would have still been worth it if I had.

There is smooth and there is smoooooth.
I learned a smooth runway landing a champ at 40 mph is not necessarily a smooth runway landing a Columbia a 60+ knots.

I hesitate to post this but since I no longer fly a Columbia here goes.
When taking off from a slightly rough runway AND well under gross I learned to add full flaps at about 45 knots and away you go off the ground about 300 feet sooner climbing like a homesick angel. In Columbia there is enough power to overcome greater drag of full flaps when you are 200pounds or more below gross. Tried once closer to gross and would not recommend. Climb at 80 knots until 1000feet all then half flaps until stable then retract flaps. If your gonna be a test pilot and try it try on your normal asphalt runway first.

Not so smooth fescue grass strip took about 30% more takeoff roll than asphalt.

I loved my Columbia

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2020, 13:31 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
Brad,

Why climb? If no obstacles, accelerate at 30ft then go to half flaps. Most GA planes when you reduce the flaps, you get a normal pitch up; which sets you for a regular climb.

Tim

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2020, 20:28 

Post Likes: +1728
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria
Full power and full flaps I don't think you could keep it from climbing if you pushed with 50# pounds of force. Climb with full flaps is stable and a bit of phun. About 80 knots and a good nose up pitch angle. Enjoy the ride. Works equally well in an SR22 below gross. Might be dangerous in an SR20.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2020, 10:40 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
Full power and full flaps I don't think you could keep it from climbing if you pushed with 50# pounds of force. Climb with full flaps is stable and a bit of phun. About 80 knots and a good nose up pitch angle. Enjoy the ride. Works equally well in an SR22 below gross. Might be dangerous in an SR20.

SR20 will climb at gross. Just very slowly... I still recall once my daughter moving around and dropping my phone oh so perfectly to lower the flaps from partial to full. I do not think we could have ever repeated it...

Tim

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2020, 22:14 

Post Likes: +6
Aircraft: A36
I owned an A36 and flew of of grass strip in NE Mt, MT51 for 29 years. Great plane hauled everything from a family of six to parts for our farm, all over the country. Then my wife and I bought a place in fl for winters. Took the bo back and forth a few times, but wanted something faster. So looked at be36 tc, but their useful load wasn’t anything like my 1972 a36. So started looking at Columbia 400. Always admired Lance neubauer’s work. After studying its performance I got test ride at nexga in Greensboro Nc. I was hooked, it is fast, and yet gets slow enough to land at farm on grass. I have a 2600’ grass strip and certainly don’t need the length for takeoff, but do use a lot of it for rollout, just to save on brakes. If it’s just a couple of people like Ma and I it is a fantastic hot rod. Also amazed what I can stuff into the baggage, with full fuel. Have not been disappointed in it. At 17-18k will run at speeds of barons and other twins. If your looking for a haul all plane, with wonderful flying [i]characteristics, you can’t beat an early 70’s A36, I did have a turbo 206 before the bo, and let it go for the bo, and so glad I did. Loved both the bo and Col4, they both have there place just depends on your mission.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 11:52 

Post Likes: +10575
Company: Forever a Student Pilot
Aircraft: 1947 Bonanza 35
I owned an A36 and flew of of grass strip in NE Mt, MT51 for 29 years. Great plane hauled everything from a family of six to parts for our farm, all over the country. Then my wife and I bought a place in fl for winters. Took the bo back and forth a few times, but wanted something faster. So looked at be36 tc, but their useful load wasn’t anything like my 1972 a36. So started looking at Columbia 400. Always admired Lance neubauer’s work. After studying its performance I got test ride at nexga in Greensboro Nc. I was hooked, it is fast, and yet gets slow enough to land at farm on grass. I have a 2600’ grass strip and certainly don’t need the length for takeoff, but do use a lot of it for rollout, just to save on brakes. If it’s just a couple of people like Ma and I it is a fantastic hot rod. Also amazed what I can stuff into the baggage, with full fuel. Have not been disappointed in it. At 17-18k will run at speeds of barons and other twins. If your looking for a haul all plane, with wonderful flying [i]characteristics, you can’t beat an early 70’s A36, I did have a turbo 206 before the bo, and let it go for the bo, and so glad I did. Loved both the bo and Col4, they both have there place just depends on your mission.

Howdy Grant, Glad you are enjoying your new Ride :thumbup: It brought a Tear to my Eye, when you sold N9016V, I had just checked on it out of the Blue and noticed that its new owner was in Tennessee or Kentucky ;)

I wrote a Thread about it here on BT...........sent You a PM this morning with my Phone Number......Hope You call, would Love to Talk again.........Merry Christmas Grant :peace: :D

Sidney Wakeham

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8