Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: More on Homebuilts: Fabric vs Aluminum
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 14:29 

Post Likes: +11415
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
As a follow-on to my thread on Rotax vs Lycoming clones, this:

Our hypothetical homebuilder has reasonable but not mad shop skills. He's worked on a couple of RV's, but never anything in fabric. While the RV's are pretty labor-intensive, the newer kits are generally pre-drilled to size and use blind rivets. Call it "low impact aluminum" because I think it's funny.

I had an email exchange with Mark, who runs Ransclan.com. He's built a couple of fabric RANS and is working on a Zenith, and he says he'll never do fabric again. Modern tube/fabric kits have all of the welding done. Other than the paint booth, which is a large detail not to be ignored, ISTM that fabric would be much faster and easier.

Have you done either? Both?

Post subject: Re: More on Homebuilts: Fabric vs Aluminum
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 20:34 

Post Likes: +2870
Company: WA Aircraft
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza E33C
Dope and fabric is a simple process.

Riveting pre drilled skins is a simple process.

I like both :thumbup:

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 21:07 

Post Likes: +22961
Aircraft: A33
fabric is nothing to be afraid of, and with the advent of systems like stewarts or oratex, there is no stinky mess anymore

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 21:42 

Post Likes: +1669
Aircraft: B95A Z526F SU26
I've recovered several fabric planes and performed a lot of sheetmetal work. Probably my favorites. I found Stits Poly-Fiber to be easier that SuperFlite IV to put on... I haven't used Stewart's system yet, but will next plane I do.

Some guys are artists in one medium but look like a novice in another one... my weak area is engine work. It's really hard to know what you're good at till you try it.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 22:37 

Post Likes: +11415
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
Username Protected wrote:
I've recovered several fabric planes and performed a lot of sheetmetal work. Probably my favorites. I found Stits Poly-Fiber to be easier that SuperFlite IV to put on... I haven't used Stewart's system yet, but will next plane I do.

Some guys are artists in one medium but look like a novice in another one... my weak area is engine work. It's really hard to know what you're good at till you try it.

As a former surgeon, I was pretty good with flesh and blood. Perhaps that's a transferable skill, but I don't know that it transfers better to one medium than another. :D

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 00:50 

Post Likes: +1883
Aircraft: 1966 Bonanza V35
When we proposed building an airplane in the Jr. High we had to consider four choices: wood, tube and rag, composite, and aluminum. What tipped the scales heavily towards aluminum was the time and interruptability factor. If gluing wood, mixing epoxy, or wetting fabric, you can't stop mid-task. But if you're drilling a hole in aluminum and the whistle blows, you can stop, down tools, and come back in an hour or a week. There were other (toxicity, mostly) concerns, but it was the ability to stop a job anywhere in the process without penalty that persuaded us.
That may not be your overriding factor but at least one to consider.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 07:47 

Post Likes: +1669
Aircraft: B95A Z526F SU26
Username Protected wrote:

As a former surgeon, I was pretty good with flesh and blood. Perhaps that's a transferable skill, but I don't know that it transfers better to one medium than another. :D

I bet you'd find fabric work to be easy... find a Pitts or Stearman project ready to cover! Plenty of stitches to be done there, and the knot is a piece of cake.

Your career makes you very detail oriented (most likely an understatement) So if you like tinkering, and have another airplane to fly, then you'll enjoy any airplane project will bring all the mental and learning challenges you need to keep your edge.

Sheetmetal certainly can be stopped at any point... that is huge if your life is busy/hectic and you need to be able to stop at any point.

On a fabric or composite plane (or proseal for new windows in your Bo), once that pot of whatever 2-part concoction you're mixing has been mixed, you're in it till its gone or the particular task is done.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]