banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 18:22 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: The Future of Learjet?
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 02:52 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55
Username Protected wrote:
With the Lear series of privates jets being among the first there is a certain nostalgia for them.

They are good in the climb, very average in the cruise and short on range with a pretty cramped cabin.

Too small a cabin for me. Looking hard at a jet I will look forward to a two person crew. The systems are a big step up; the speed is really a big step up; the workload is really a big step up; and who the heck wants to sit up front the whole time? And going above 35k SP you've gotta have a mask on? I'm in the medical field so to speak. I've been around and trained a lot of boarded surgeons. Solitary ones can get into a lot of trouble very quickly. Even today in human medicine there is a big move to have dual surgeons on even everyday procedures. A fast jet? No different. And a HUGE safety net.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 10:03 

Post Likes: +4285
Aircraft: BE 58
A different point of view on the SP .....

I could argue that things get busy in the departure/arrival segments and there's not a huge amount of speed difference between any plane from a turboprop to a heavy jet. And if one gets behind in their fast jet, they slow up nicely.

As for managing all of the systems, it kinda depends on the level of automation. There's a lot of jets out there that are pretty simple to fly, but have a lot of sophistication that's automated and not hard to manage.... and some have more than one autopilot.

Heck, there's no doubt I could have flown all the Boeings I was rated in, SP fairly easy, except the 727.

BUT, these bigger jets will not be SP just because a backup copilot is just too cheap.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 12:15 

Post Likes: +707
Aircraft: TBM 850
I dunno about 2 surgeons for common procedures. Insurance companies are barely paying for one surgeon no less two. I have a physician assistant who's fee is denied all the time. No way would theypay the cost for another surgeon.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 13:12 

Post Likes: +390
Aircraft: 350
I dunno about 2 surgeons for common procedures. Insurance companies are barely paying for one surgeon no less two. I have a physician assistant who's fee is denied all the time. No way would theypay the cost for another surgeon.

A student/friend of mine is a trauma surgeon. After a few lessons he observed, "If I screw up at work, I just kill the person on the table. If i screw up here, I kill everybody in the plane and maybe some on the ground."

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2016, 08:02 

Post Likes: +1607
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
The least expensive parts of the jet are the two up front.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 20:15 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +242
Company: W. John Gadd, Esq.
Aircraft: C55 Baron
All this thread is doing for me is to prompt me to have more conversations with folks who know the Learjets than I already was and the reverence one finds for them is quite impressive, almost cultish, in a good way.

It seems like if you are in the (luxurious) position of being able to consider an aircraft from the pilot's perspective, as opposed to the normal reality, that the comfort of the passengers comes first, then you might think the true Learjets are insanely great airplanes. I'm already "shopping" for one, myself (the same way I "shopped" for an Aston Martin V8 Vantage Volante as a kid in high school, with little credibility of ever being a buyer)... For the day I have some more hours of experience and may be game for taking on a jet. I've been an ignorant non-pilot passenger in many of he private jets and the Lears were not my favorite... I'm getting it now, though.

Dealing with some similar issues with my Commander, where it's clear there might have been better options for the passengers, but what the heck, this airplane is a blast to fly (and terribly efficient)...

Edited to clarify my "shopping" for Learjet.

Well, the new Vantage looks stunning. Just sayin.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 00:07 

Post Likes: +338
Aircraft: AA1B,PA28,PA18,CE500
The least expensive parts of the jet are the two up front.

But they seem to whine louder than both engines.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 00:15 

Post Likes: +191

3) It is better for aviation, who on here built all of their time flying in the left seat? We are currently facing a pilot shortage, part of the reason is that as an industry we do not make it easy to join the club and build time / experience.

4) It's another pilot job, some guy is working, making a living, feeding his family (barely) and gaining the experience to replace the left seat guy one day.

Then again, the SIC sitting right seat under Part 91 in a single pilot airplane is not logging a single minute of that time legally that would help him "join the club" and build time to replace the left seat guy.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 08:28 

Post Likes: +1607
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
Unless he holds a CFI.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 10:02 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7255
Company: Jet Acquisitions

3) It is better for aviation, who on here built all of their time flying in the left seat? We are currently facing a pilot shortage, part of the reason is that as an industry we do not make it easy to join the club and build time / experience.

4) It's another pilot job, some guy is working, making a living, feeding his family (barely) and gaining the experience to replace the left seat guy one day.

Then again, the SIC sitting right seat under Part 91 in a single pilot airplane is not logging a single minute of that time legally that would help him "join the club" and build time to replace the left seat guy.

Never said “legally” I know a lot of 6k - 10k hour pilots... know them well enough to know they didn’t log it all legally.

Not judging or condoning.

The experience is very real and very valuable, no matter if it is logged or not.

Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10