banner
banner

24 Apr 2024, 04:38 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: L-39 Operators?
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 03:51 

Post Likes: +2362
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
Username Protected wrote:
One question I have about the 731 engine in L-39's is, how is its longevity when doing aerobatics regularly? The engine wasn't designed for a -4G +8G military trainer, so I doubt it's been tested in that way (by the manufacturer)
Besides the L-39s the 731 has also been flown in at least 7 other military trainers, including by Boeing, Textron and CASA (180+ built, in use since 1980). No doubt there are differences in oil systems etc. but the core engine can certainly handle the Gs.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 07:42 

Post Likes: +2751
In fairness- I have only logged about 1.5hrs in the jet so far. but my impression after meeting the group of people who own and fly them is that they aren't pulling 5g's, and 0g or negative is transient at most. that takes a level of dedication and work that most weekend warriors aren't committed to (ie, g currency).

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 10:24 

Post Likes: +157
Aircraft: MU-2B
In fairness- I have only logged about 1.5hrs in the jet so far. but my impression after meeting the group of people who own and fly them is that they aren't pulling 5g's, and 0g or negative is transient at most. that takes a level of dedication and work that most weekend warriors aren't committed to (ie, g currency).

I pull between 4-5G regularly. Now SIX takes some airspeed and effort to get the airplane to do. As for 0 I love inverted flight, just under 20 seconds (fuel limit)

Mat

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 11:12 

Post Likes: +501
Aircraft: F-35A, L-39, '74 B55

Assuming that you don't punch out of one or do low-level acro, is there really much increased risk of flying one of these? After reviewing the thread, I think that the trained pilots who posted in this thread debunked many of the myths. For pilots who don't do stupid things, is there increased danger? It's reported to be an airplane with benign handling and a reliable turbine engine.

It seems that the main increased risk of flying one of these XC vs. your Baron or 195 is in convincing Mrs. JGG to climb into one. The cool factor of getting to wear a flight suit and helmet and the allure of getting there twice as fast as your propeller planes may not be as enticing as a comfy first class airline seat and complimentary drinks.

edit: BTW, I'm not being argumentative. I'm just wondering out loud. Megamillions is back up to over half a billion dollars, so when I win it I'll be wondering if an L-39 will be a viable way to get myself across the country to visit Taigh while he builds up my dream Twin Beech. :D

I think the biggest risk is low proficiency in the jet. You have to fly it with energy management always in mind. In my opinion, all VFR patterns should be overheads with a tight base to final. IFR, tight vectors to final. The speeds are fairly slow and easily manageable. However, the throttle response of the AI-25 requires thoughtful inputs and outputs and liberal use of the boards. It is where many people struggle with. Formation work is actually really beneficial for teaching the penalty of pulling power vs fanning the boards.

Buffets are very noticeable and stall response is very tame - the only gotcha is really the throttle response vs sink rate. It is definitely not a fighter and it isn't a business jet. It doesn't really behave/feel like either. It still has a lot of trainer-isms to it that will keep the variety of lower experienced people safe. Every flight that isn't completely IFR should pull at least 4Gs.

The actual jet itself is very reliable and it is simple to maintain. Personally, I would trust that motor more than any certified piston engine out there. I've never flown the 731, but I imagine the reliability would be even better. Curious if the throttle response is that much better.

It has a lot of things going for it, like the ability to do battery starts and not having hydraulic flight controls. It's very hard to over-speed. The trailing link gear make every landing silky smooth. BFM in the jet is a bit like playing 1v1 basketball with two 300lb, out of shape guys. But, I will say that it handles very well and predictable under heavy buffet - as long as you have some air under you. The first notch of flaps definitely helps with slow-speed BFM.

It would be frustrating to just use it for cross countries. It does not carry a lot of gas and getting extended vectors or an early descent can get pricey, fast.

Taxiing the jet (and I feel like each L-39 is different) can be a humbling experience. Best to avoid tight parking spots. The canopy is also a weak link, need to brief passengers to use extreme care with opening procedures.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 13:30 

Post Likes: +157
Aircraft: MU-2B
I let my friend in the back seat taxi it yesterday, and it was fun watching him learn it. Not a simple to use system for someone expecting toe breaks but honestly like riding a bike.

It's not THAT bad for cross countries, ideally just ones that don't need a fuel stop. I have 80 Gal drop tanks I can slap on the jet in all of 5 minutes per side. Takes longer to fuel them then to hang them on the jet.

I will second the vectors issue, we did a long cross country in it and found our selfs right at our reserves when we touched down.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 14:42 

Post Likes: +501
Aircraft: F-35A, L-39, '74 B55
I let my friend in the back seat taxi it yesterday, and it was fun watching him learn it. Not a simple to use system for someone expecting toe breaks but honestly like riding a bike.

It's not THAT bad for cross countries, ideally just ones that don't need a fuel stop. I have 80 Gal drop tanks I can slap on the jet in all of 5 minutes per side. Takes longer to fuel them then to hang them on the jet.

I will second the vectors issue, we did a long cross country in it and found our selfs right at our reserves when we touched down.

That's a great point. Cross countries can be fun - especially formation cross countries!

Fewer and fewer airports have high penetration approaches (and less that don't require TACANs), but those can be helpful in saving some fuel when IMC.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 15:32 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +593
Aircraft: L-39 Albatros
Besides the L-39s the 731 has also been flown in at least 7 other military trainers, including by Boeing, Textron and CASA (180+ built, in use since 1980). No doubt there are differences in oil systems etc. but the core engine can certainly handle the Gs.

This is great to know, thanks. I still have plenty of time left on my AI-25, but the 731 looks like a great upgrade. I just wish they could get the 731-4 to work in there (the upgrades are all or almost all -3, which has about 1000 lbs less thrust than the -4). Apparently it's an airflow problem that would require modifying the air intakes.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 15:45 

This is great to know, thanks. I still have plenty of time left on my AI-25, but the 731 looks like a great upgrade. I just wish they could get the 731-4 to work in there (the upgrades are all or almost all -3, which has about 1000 lbs less thrust than the -4). Apparently it's an airflow problem that would require modifying the air intakes.

I heard from one of my Navy buddies, who races L39s at Reno, that this problem was solved by the guys in south Florida. trying to get more info....

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 17:42 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +593
Aircraft: L-39 Albatros

I heard from one of my Navy buddies, who races L39s at Reno, that this problem was solved by the guys in south Florida. trying to get more info....

That would be great. If it's true, we should see 731-4's show up at Reno. There is one (Dark Star), but it's the factory prototype (the factory modified the air intakes for the -4).

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 17:59 

Post Likes: +4797
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
Can you get parts for the AI-25? My partner has one at Code One and is doing the 731 upgrade. It’s not a cheap toy with full garmins.. Think it’s going be over 700k. Even though we have two perfectly good Westwind I motors he is buying a Westwind Ii motor.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2022, 14:22 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4411
Aircraft: B200, 500B
There are a couple of predictable places where people get into trouble. Low level acro. You pick up a ton of speed on the back side of a loop. If you’re not well-versed in that environment, then you’re setting yourself of up for failure. Operating ours, we do nothing with a down line below 10,000. Really simple. Rolls - no big deal. Loops, Cubans, etc… must be completed no lower than 10,000.

What would you recommend for a high altitude operator? The practice area north of me only has 10,000' total between the ground and Class A.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2022, 15:46 

Can you get parts for the AI-25? My partner has one at Code One and is doing the 731 upgrade. It’s not a cheap toy with full garmins.. Think it’s going be over 700k. Even though we have two perfectly good Westwind I motors he is buying a Westwind Ii motor.

AI-25 seems to have a lot of parts availability. around 10k engines built. The Ukrainian company Motorsich is still overhauling them.

Nathan Jones at Code1 has purchased a bunch of parts, (and probably cores). He is one of the "go to" guys for all things L-39. I visited his shop last month and was impressed by his company's technical knowledge, and support of the AC and engine. he probably has 15 airplanes in his shop while I was there.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2022, 16:03 

Post Likes: +371
Company: Horizon Aviation
Aircraft: T303, Pitts M12, T-6
Jim,

Given you only have 10,000 feet to play with - I would stay as high in that space as you can. It simply gives you more options. And then stick to your numbers. I think that’s where people get in trouble - they renegotiate their limits while flying or tolerate deviations and then make those the new norm.

For us it’s easy. We’re at sea level. Also, by using a 10K hard deck, we never have to worry about the air speed limit.

I’m not an expert, but I would think your hard deck (AGL) would depend on prior experience. Do you have time doing acro? In heavy aircraft? In heavy and slick aircraft? Close to the ground? How much time in type? How much acro in type? How much with a qualified instructor and not just your buddy Billy who flies a Pitts?

Once again, I’m not an expert and it’s very easy for me to pick super conservative parameters. So, I recommend you talk with an expert or two and get their opinions. They’ll be much wiser than I.

I’ll be at Osh and happy to talk with anyone interested and show them around the plane and introduce you to necessary people.

Zeke

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2022, 18:22 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4411
Aircraft: B200, 500B
Jim,

Given you only have 10,000 feet to play with - I would stay as high in that space as you can. It simply gives you more options. And then stick to your numbers. I think that’s where people get in trouble - they renegotiate their limits while flying or tolerate deviations and then make those the new norm.

For us it’s easy. We’re at sea level. Also, by using a 10K hard deck, we never have to worry about the air speed limit.

I’m not an expert, but I would think your hard deck (AGL) would depend on prior experience. Do you have time doing acro? In heavy aircraft? In heavy and slick aircraft? Close to the ground? How much time in type? How much acro in type? How much with a qualified instructor and not just your buddy Billy who flies a Pitts?

Once again, I’m not an expert and it’s very easy for me to pick super conservative parameters. So, I recommend you talk with an expert or two and get their opinions. They’ll be much wiser than I.

I’ll be at Osh and happy to talk with anyone interested and show them around the plane and introduce you to necessary people.

Zeke

Zeke,

Thanks for the advice. I would answer "nope" to all of your questions but one - I have a very good instructor available. Larry at Jet Warbirds is right here and I'll be using him as much as needed if I ever pull the trigger.

Jim

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2022, 21:00 

Post Likes: +10749
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Jim,

Zeke

Zeke,

Thanks for the advice. I would answer "nope" to all of your questions but one - I have a very good instructor available. Larry at Jet Warbirds is right here and I'll be using him as much as needed if I ever pull the trigger.

Jim

I'd strongly suggest:
1) Get some acro instruction in a Decathalon and Extra from an expert first.
2) Try maneuvers you're comfortable with in the jet with an experienced jet acro instructor somewhere that you can work with a 10,000 AGL hard deck.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next