banner
banner

20 Apr 2024, 01:02 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 270  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Raptor Aircraft 5 Seat Pressurized 3,600 NM Range Die
PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 14:37 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1027
Aircraft: 1965 Bonanza S35
Username Protected wrote:
For my own education, I visited the Raptor website. they request a minimum of 1000 deposits at $2000 each with the tag line "Get in line now and tell all your friends".
They also run a clothing store. Raptor t-shirts for only $35.94. Raptor hats for $46.99 and $29.99. "One day only sale-14% off and free shipping with orders over $99".

Dean, I watched the Billy Mitchell video you linked. Do you mean to compare the life, the accomplishments and future visions of this great American to the Raptor project?

No, what I was trying to communicate is that the things General Mitchell predicted seemed absolutely preposterous to the "Group Think de Jour".

I don't know the Raptor creator, let alone any of his accomplishments. Just like that he seems to be busy "doing" while the collective "It'll never flyers" compare his efforts to antigravity boots and unicorns.

As I have previously stated, "if the guys #'s are wrong, fine. Simply share your data and prove the guy wrong."

I don't have anything riding on this and I don't have a deposit one one of these.

I do, however, like the looks of the plane, as I do the Velocity and the Berkut and SQ2000 for that matter. Notably, the latter 2 aircraft are now defunct. :oops:

"TRUTH is AUTHORITY..... Authority is not Truth"

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 14:38 

Post Likes: +3026
Aircraft: SR22;CJ2+;C510
Aviation is rife with exaggeration and big fish claims. We have this thread, the SF50, Chips thread about real world range, the CJ winglet claims, and on and on.

What they all lack is objective independently verified data.

There have been many brilliant aircraft designers like Burt Rutan who tried many different designs to create breakthroughs for GA. Maybe these guys are smarter then all who cam before them. I wish them luck but the facts are their path is littered with other failed promises and bankrupt companies.

There are big hurdles between a one off prototype to experimental aircraft test flights to a kit built company to a certified production aircraft. Let's see how far they get along that path. With the magic if the internet we can watch these projects unfold.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 14:40 

As I have previously stated, "if the guys #'s are wrong, fine. Simply share your data and prove the guy wrong."

Maybe the Raptor guys should open source and publish their models and simulations for peer review if they want more support and credibility.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 14:41 

WWW  Profile

I actually wish someone would test that theory on the SA Ravin 500, which was a "modern" clone of the Piper Comanche.

I'd love before and after Cd numbers for the two. I suspect "negligible difference", but I'd love to be surprised.

At some point when you're done doing maximum aerodynamic cleanup, you've made yourself a missile. :D

I go back to the Delaminator. Incredible speed on 100hp. He cleaned up an already efficient design and squeezed out a whole lot more performance.

This!

I'm thinking the same thing with the Raptor...

1. Bury all of the antennae into the carbon fibre
2. No rivets
3. No fixed gear

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 14:43 

WWW  Profile

Maybe the Raptor guys should open source and publish their models and simulations for peer review if they want more support and credibility.

That would be a great idea.

I wonder how willing he'd be to do that, especially since he's mentioned the whole "open-source freeware" approach?

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 14:45 

Post Likes: +6555
Aircraft: PA-46-310P
Ain't nobody going 300 knots in a 300 HP 5 place pressurize airplane.

Mike C.

This quote is begging to be a t-shirt at Oshkosh this year. :pilot:

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 14:45 

WWW  Profile

I don't think Mike is doing anything other than applying math skills to refute the marketing material presented by this company. That's not being a naysayer. Anyone is free to say anything or make whatever claims they want. Similarly anyone can refute those claims. What's interesting is when people get offended by a. The claims being made and b. The claims being refuted by sound logic, math and common sense.

Reminiscent of the climate change debate....
I'm always wary of the people who get offended when their ideas are challenged with facts. Name calling follows usually. Tells me there's something wrong with the idea to begin with.....

Hence the "antigravity boots" and other snarky "Math-Speak"!

Yeah... NO!

As for the name calling? I didn't mention anyone specifically...

But hey, if the anti-gravity boots fit?

Last edited on 13 May 2016, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 14:46 

That would be a great idea.

I wonder how willing he'd be to do that, especially since he's mentioned the whole "open-source freeware" approach?

Somebody should invite him to join BT. We will set him straight.

He is probably too busy laying carbon fiber. But he should have spare time while it is curing. Unless he is editing his videos then.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 14:49 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1781
Company: D&M Leasing Houston
Aircraft: CitationV/C180
Propulsion is the missing element in making the "plane of the future" a reality. Airframe design and avionics have taken monumental leaps the past 50 years. Engines, not so much. There will continue to be small incremental changes in planes and performance until such time there's a new way to propel them faster and higher for less fuel and cheaper cost. Hopefully GA can survive until that happens. My guess is that it's a long way off because you'd think that with all the R&D dollars spent by the engine manufacturers and the military, if there was something on the horizon revolutionary we'd know about it. There's a lot of dollars at stake for the winner of the race to "faster, cheaper and less fuel".

Imagine the aircraft possibilities for an engine either jet, TP or piston that did everything better by just a factor of 2.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 14:56 

WWW  Profile

He is probably too busy laying carbon fiber. But he should have spare time while it is curing. Unless he is editing his videos then.

Just did.

Quote:
I wanted to invite you to join the discussion on BeechTalk.com about the Raptor.

BeechTalk is an airplane owners and pilots forum with over 38,000 members. Unlike other sites, BeechTalk requires that all members use their real names, thus virtually eliminating typical gamer site troll like behavior.

I started a thread about your project this morning, it has already resulted in over 80 responses and 1200+ views.

Your input and question answering could go a long way in promoting your project

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 14:56 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1781
Company: D&M Leasing Houston
Aircraft: CitationV/C180
I don't think Mike is doing anything other than applying math skills to refute the marketing material presented by this company. That's not being a naysayer. Anyone is free to say anything or make whatever claims they want. Similarly anyone can refute those claims. What's interesting is when people get offended by a. The claims being made and b. The claims being refuted by sound logic, math and common sense.

Reminiscent of the climate change debate....
I'm always wary of the people who get offended when their ideas are challenged with facts. Name calling follows usually. Tells me there's something wrong with the idea to begin with.....

Hence the "antigravity boots" and other snarky "Math-Speak"!

Yeah... NO!

As for the name calling? I didn't mention anyone specifically...

But hey, if the anti-gravity boots fit?

I know.. That math stuff is extremely snarky and terribly inconvenient at times. My main use for it is weight and balance, fuel flows and endurance when flying and P&L statements in my business. Other than that I'd ignore it completely.

I have been tempted at times to just extend my range by a factor of 2 or 3 and ignore math but the fear of a crash (not fiery because no fuel) keeps me from pressing on....

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 15:01 

Post Likes: +11412
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
The open source part is interesting.

Might this be a better way to handle modern liability problems than the heavy-handed Icon approach? By leaving everything open to the builder and the aftermarket, do they have plausible deniability? "Ours was just a suggestion among many. Builders have a choice to do what we suggest, what the aftermarket suggests, or what they make up. But it's the builder who has the ultimate responsibility for the safety of the airframe, and the pilot who's responsible for airworthiness and flight safety."

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 15:17 

Just did.

Quote:
I wanted to invite you to join the discussion on BeechTalk.com about the Raptor.

BeechTalk is an airplane owners and pilots forum with over 38,000 members. Unlike other sites, BeechTalk requires that all members use their real names, thus virtually eliminating typical gamer site troll like behavior.

I started a thread about your project this morning, it has already resulted in over 80 responses and 1200+ views.

Your input and question answering could go a long way in promoting your project

:thumbup:

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 19:09 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
There have been many brilliant aircraft designers like Burt Rutan

It would be a hoot to see Rutan read the numbers for the Raptor and see how much he laughs.

Burt knows the numbers. Give him the weight, frontal area, wing area, Cd, HP, and I bet he can estimate the cruise speed to within 10 knots.

The Raptor is not exploring some new frontier, it is decidedly in territory that has been well understood for decades.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 19:19 

Post Likes: +6173
Aircraft: 1979 Bonanza A36
They are usually very heavy engines that turn slowly. Very low power to weight ratios. Easy to make that last a long time.

Mike C.

No, they are not. Most diesel generators are turning at high rpms ( 2,100 and up depending on the engine), and are running at 70-90% load.
Oilfield mud pumps, generators, hydraulic pumps, ect. all run at a high load. In fact, they last much longer at load than if they are ran in a low load situation. 10,000 hours in very common.

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 270  Next