banner
banner

24 Apr 2024, 19:08 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 270  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Raptor Aircraft 5 Seat Pressurized 3,600 NM Range Die
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 16:39 

Post Likes: +45
Company: Water Cleaners
Aircraft: Pilatus PC-12 NG
Username Protected wrote:
3/4" of free play in the ailerons with a locked control stick. Probably another drag reducing feature.

That is a valid concern! Not presented in them most thoughtful way.. but hey take what you can get. Have been thinking about that. Wondering...

a.) Where is it coming from. (slop in the linkage/cables/etc. or something else)
b.) How much is there (if any) when the stick is centered and locked down. Seems hard to believe there is not some in that case. Could be wrong.
c.) How much force is required to deflect it back to that point?
d.) Where will the surface deflect to under maximum flying speeds/pressure.
e.) How much is due the modulus of elasticity in the materials in the aileron itself.. i.e. is it in the bell-crank linkage, hinge, or after that, back somewhere in the wing, where/why?
f.) How does that compare to the velocity/other similar builds with similar control linkages and material construction.
g.) What does he know the make the assertion, "I am ok with that." that I don't. Or is he wrong?

Don't know the answers.

etc. Very curious to hear thoughtful thoughts.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 16:44 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7403
Company: The French Tradition
Aircraft: 89 A36 TN, 78 Tiger
72 pages to defend the Raptor...
Time will tell.
I wonder how much money is the test pilot getting for this job. And why is the test pilot not available for 2 months... (Maybe because he is waiting to see if his last treatment has a chance to overcome his diagnosis... )
That pulley has me worried...
I would have started with a true and tested power plan first... then, once the airframe has it's bugs worked out maybe try a diesel engine version.
But everything new.. not tested... what can possibly go wrong !!!!

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 16:49 

Post Likes: +11415
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
Really. I’m curious about your pilot’s license.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 17:07 

Post Likes: +104
3/4" of free play in the ailerons with a locked control stick. Probably another drag reducing feature.

That is a valid concern! Not presented in them most thoughtful way.. but hey take what you can get. Have been thinking about that. Wondering...

a.) Where is it coming from. (slop in the linkage/cables/etc. or something else)
b.) How much is there (if any) when the stick is centered and locked down. Seems hard to believe there is not some in that case. Could be wrong.
c.) How much force is required to deflect it back to that point?
d.) Where will the surface deflect to under maximum flying speeds/pressure.
e.) How much is due the modulus of elasticity in the materials in the aileron itself.. i.e. is it in the bell-crank linkage, hinge, or after that, back somewhere in the wing, where/why?
f.) How does that compare to the velocity/other similar builds with similar control linkages and material construction.
g.) What does he know the make the assertion, "I am ok with that." that I don't. Or is he wrong?

Don't know the answers.

etc. Very curious to hear thoughtful thoughts.

You then concede the aileron movement (bouncing in fact) observed in the taxying videos is not due to Peters (or is it Mike’s) hand on the stick and a rough runway?

So why is there so much slop? The ailerons are cable actuated and I’d guess he needs more cable tension but can’t add tension because the cable pulleys are skin mounted and tightening the cable across the pulley results in skin deformation or threatens the integrity of the pulley mounting. On the other hand the control system design may be poorly engineered, even completely flawed like the Fowler flap used for pitch control initially.

I’ve never been to Brazil, don’t have any billionaire friends, never operated a nuclear reactor either but I have worked on and flown quite a few different aircraft. Haven’t seen one yet where that much play in a control surface was acceptable.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 17:25 

You drop into Cidade Pedra Branca SC anytime generally after October and the first Caipirinha is on me buddy. (SSKT) Happy to have a chat. Condition being you agree to post a pic of us drinking together here. All bets are off come generally after June. Will need something with longer legs/ETOPS cert that time of the year. But we can make it happen. Bit more in the wops you know? Kia Ora buddy.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 17:27 

Post Likes: +4797
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
I don’t know of any fast airplane with this much aileron play. Scary.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 17:30 

You drop into Cidade Pedra Branca SC anytime generally after October and the first Caipirinha is on me buddy. (SSKT) Happy to have a chat. Condition being you agree to post a pic of us drinking together here. All bets are off come generally after June. Will need something with longer legs/ETOPS cert that time of the year. But we can make it happen. Bit more in the wops you know? Kia Ora buddy.

I’m all in. But I can’t imagine why you’re so obtuse about it.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 17:37 

You then concede the aileron movement (bouncing in fact) observed in the taxying videos is not due to Peters (or is it Mike’s) hand on the stick and a rough runway?

So why is there so much slop? The ailerons are cable actuated and I’d guess he needs more cable tension but can’t add tension because the cable pulleys are skin mounted and tightening the cable across the pulley results in skin deformation or threatens the integrity of the pulley mounting. On the other hand the control system design may be poorly engineered, even completely flawed like the Fowler flap used for pitch control initially.

I’ve never been to Brazil, don’t have any billionaire friends, never operated a nuclear reactor either but I have worked on and flown quite a few different aircraft. Haven’t seen one yet where that much play in a control surface was acceptable.

No, absolutely not. It is a possibility (and maybe even probable but seems "a bit" too egregious to slip by... maybe I am wrong. Don't think so. See b.) above) I don't think he is that stupid. (something many folks seem overly zealous to jump to imho) Could be proven wrong. Doubt it. Would like to see side by side cockpit vid/wing mounted vid.

Your second paragraph is as much conjecture as my questions above. I just did not jump to the same conclusion you did. Maybe I should have but don't think so. If your guess is right then all bets are off. Just don't think that is the case. Thus my other questions. I don't have any 3 comma friends either. And am bad with names. Dyslexic aslos.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 17:41 

Post Likes: +346
Aircraft: Looking for one

Hmmm, as long as we don't get one of the motorcycle muggings and we drink on the beach. I'd still be afraid we would be getting catfished. :coffee: But, we would be on a beach in Brazil..... :cheers:

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 17:52 

You definitely have a distinct lack of imagination. That is not a pejorative Stuart. Exactly the kind of guy I want monitoring the gas if I was going under for surgery. Just maybe not the kind of brain built for accurately calculating long odds better than others. Can't have it both ways man. Not my rules.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 17:55 

Hmmm, as long as we don't get one of the motorcycle muggings and we drink on the beach. I'd still be afraid we would be getting catfished. :coffee: But, we would be on a beach in Brazil..... :cheers:

Across the bridge and to the North shore baby!! Beautiful!!

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 17:59 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3838
Aircraft: B200, ex 58P

I'm in for $100 towards airfare for Stuart.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 18:09 

I'm in for $100 towards airfare for Stuart.

Don't fly into GRU. It is a mess and the Pinheiros stinks. Literally (Working on that, literally :clap: )

https://www.bnamericas.com/en/news/how- ... iros-river

Come via Viracopos/Floripa. It's cheaper and VCP is beautiful. Modeled after European cathedrals and it shows. It is really impressive to see first hand.

https://www.onyxsolar.com/gallery/solar ... troller/34

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 18:17 

You definitely have a distinct lack of imagination. That is not a pejorative Stuart. Exactly the kind of guy I want monitoring the gas if I was going under for surgery. Just maybe not the kind of brain built for accurately calculating long odds better than others. Can't have it both ways man. Not my rules.

And you respond with insults. Classy.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 18:21 

Post Likes: +5448
Company: French major
Aircraft: Ejet
And you respond with insults. Classy.

Same (flight) school as Jerry is my guess!

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 270  Next