banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 03:21 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 270  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Raptor Aircraft 5 Seat Pressurized 3,600 NM Range Die
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 11:36 

Post Likes: +2869
Company: WA Aircraft
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza E33C
Username Protected wrote:
I think that was fixed, along with most of the slop in the system. From what I have seen in the videos, the rudder deflecting beyond control range and getting stuck is still an outstanding issue, but I am not sure that will prevent a flight test.

The pulley movement was fixed with 1/2” steel shafts. The stick binding was fixed by copying a Cirrus stick except using a solid square 7075 hard anodized bar. The rudders and pedal stop was just a rod end ramming up against the fuselage. So he 5 minute epoxied an FR4 block as a mechanical stop to the pedal before the rod end slams into the fuselage.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 11:51 

Post Likes: +13479
Aircraft: TU-104
The pedal stop was one issue with the rudders. They also found the right rudder stuck at full deflection of about 40 degrees which it should not have been able to get to with pedals that only go to 25. As of the Wasabi video, they weren’t sure how it happened, but it could have been manually pushed there while there were futzing with various control issues. The addition of simple stops could be enough to get comfortable to fly.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 12:56 

Post Likes: +1261
Aircraft: Malibu PA46-310P
I remember it differently. I'll go back and re-watch the video.

I hope that a rudder that somehow deflected significantly beyond the max control authority and remained stuck there when the input was removed ... will delay a first flight until understood and remedied.

Still curious about the angry olde know-it-all at the beginning of the video ...

I was laughing about the know it all guy too! We need more of that video. That had my attention...

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 18:04 

Post Likes: +19620
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
Or is your idea of "better" being a place where if you can get high enough, you can bail out and not worry about the plane impacting populated areas? If that's the case, then St. Augustine would be best. Myrtle would be my second choice providing you use 18.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

If things go sideways I'd want to be able to either get out and let the plane fall into the ocean or other uninhabited area, or have a place that I could glide to and belly in without killing myself, like the intercostal. VLD doesn't say that to me. 17 has an overrun, but those approach lights are going to tear that plane apart, and if you get just a little farther before the engine quits or the prop runs away, or the flight controls jam, you're again out of options.

I would definitely not like putting people on the ground at risk for my antics.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 18:47 

Post Likes: +1191
Aircraft: Velocity XL-RG
Or is your idea of "better" being a place where if you can get high enough, you can bail out and not worry about the plane impacting populated areas? If that's the case, then St. Augustine would be best. Myrtle would be my second choice providing you use 18.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

If things go sideways I'd want to be able to either get out and let the plane fall into the ocean or other uninhabited area, or have a place that I could glide to and belly in without killing myself, like the intercostal. VLD doesn't say that to me. 17 has an overrun, but those approach lights are going to tear that plane apart, and if you get just a little farther before the engine quits or the prop runs away, or the flight controls jam, you're again out of options.

I would definitely not like putting people on the ground at risk for my antics.

There seems to be a bit of contradiction in your post. In order to "get out and let the plane fall", you'd have to be at least 1,000' AGL.

"17 has an overrun but those approach lights are going to tear that plane apart" would indicate that the plane never leaves the ground.

I would submit that the most dangerous part of flight testing this aircraft (initially) is going to be at 1-500'. Not high enough to bail out. So the best chance of surviving for the pilot and those on the ground is nice, flat land off the departure end.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 09:12 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3837
Aircraft: B200, ex 58P
How would you safely bail out with a pusher prop?

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 09:25 

There seems to be a bit of contradiction in your post. In order to "get out and let the plane fall", you'd have to be at least 1,000' AGL.

"17 has an overrun but those approach lights are going to tear that plane apart" would indicate that the plane never leaves the ground.

I would submit that the most dangerous part of flight testing this aircraft (initially) is going to be at 1-500'. Not high enough to bail out. So the best chance of surviving for the pilot and those on the ground is nice, flat land off the departure end.

Here's what I'm thinking:

If you get off the ground and find a problem, say controllability or inability to climb out of ground effect, then you need room to land again and stop. If you have no safe clear zone off the end of the runway then you are forced to stop on the asphalt, which is not a lot of room given that we don't know how long it would take for a problem to manifest itself. In the case of 35 there's no clear space. In the case of 17 there is a clearing but it is full of dangerous obstacles. There is no room to abort off the runway.

Once in the air, the possibility of a forced landing continues to exist, and without open space in which to safely put it down, the results are going to be similar except where they involve people and structures on the ground, in which case they'll be worse.

I agree with your assessment of the most critical altitude range for the test flight, and the idea that in that context the best chance for safety involves nice flat land off the departure end. Valdosta does not have that.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 09:33 

Easy:

1. Shut down the engine
  2. Open the door
  3. Set the brake
  4. Swing your left leg out
  5. Swing your right leg out
  6. Stand up and walk away from that death trap

:rofl:

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 10:05 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4199
Company: Looking
Aircraft: Baron/Bonanza

Easy:

1. Shut down the engine
  2. Open the door
  3. Set the brake
  4. Swing your left leg out
  5. Swing your right leg out
  6. Stand up and walk away from that death trap

:rofl:

Uh.....I don't get it.....why is this in green......?? :scratch: :whistle: :rofl:

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 10:07 

Post Likes: +5685
Aircraft: E33/152A
The prototype “Fourwinds” high wing fixed gear experimental kit plane had a near disastrous accidental test flight at the New Smyrna Beach Airport.

The president with one of the employees was planning a high speed run with the hope of lifting off into ground effect then stopping it. The aircraft would not break ground and when Jeff attempted to stop he realized that there was not enough runway remaining. He put full power back in and was able to lift it off at the end of the runway. He barely cleared the trees and went out of sight while skidding it around to attempt a landing. He was way too fast and not able to line up with any runway. He flew over the hangar at about 300 ft. His employees thought he was doing an intentional high speed low pass and I heard one of the non pilot employees that didn’t have clue what was going on state “I bet he is going to roll it!”. He then did a very wide sweeping turn out over Ponce Inlet never getting higher than the light house and was able to line up again and land almost skidding of the end of the 5000’ runway.

When he taxied up to cheers from his employees for what they thought was a successful and planned test flight he was white as ghost and sweating. His passengers hand was bleeding from trying to hold the upper door half that came open and was beating itself against the bottom of the wing.

They had failed to engineer and install flap “up stops” resulting in the flaps deflecting upward like spoilers that got worse as speed was increased. Jeff told me that he and his passenger were pulling as a hard as they could the whole time. The problem was compounded by a tail bulkhead that had a pitch control idler mounted to it flexing giving them only partial up elevator travel.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 10:23 

Post Likes: +312
Aircraft: C182
The prototype “Fourwinds” high wing fixed gear experimental kit plane had a near disastrous accidental test flight at the New Smyrna Beach Airport.

The president with one of the employees was planning a high speed run with the hope of lifting off into ground effect then stopping it. The aircraft would not break ground and when Jeff attempted to stop he realized that there was not enough runway remaining. He put full power back in and was able to lift it off at the end of the runway. He barely cleared the trees and went out of sight while skidding it around to attempt a landing. He was way too fast and not able to line up with any runway. He flew over the hangar at about 300 ft. His employees thought he was doing an intentional high speed low pass and I heard one of the non pilot employees that didn’t have clue what was going on state “I bet he is going to roll it!”. He then did a very wide sweeping turn out over Ponce Inlet never getting higher than the light house and was able to line up again and land almost skidding of the end of the 5000’ runway.

When he taxied up to cheers from his employees for what they thought was a successful and planned test flight he was white as ghost and sweating. His passengers hand was bleeding from trying to hold the upper door half that came open and was beating itself against the bottom of the wing.

They had failed to engineer and install flap “up stops” resulting in the flaps deflecting upward like spoilers that got worse as speed was increased. Jeff told me that he and his passenger were pulling as a hard as they could the whole time. The problem was compounded by a tail bulkhead that had a pitch control idler mounted to it flexing giving them only partial up elevator travel.

Curious, what ever happened with this design? I believe it was acquired by some ex- Navy types... I believe that Mark B. the engineer for Raptor was the engineer for Fourwinds — so not really thread creep...

Best,

Tom

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 10:47 

Post Likes: +5685
Aircraft: E33/152A

Curious, what ever happened with this design? I believe it was acquired by some ex- Navy types... I believe that Mark B. the engineer for Raptor was the engineer for Fourwinds — so not really thread creep...

Best,

Tom

A few kits were delivered and I believe that one or two were completed. The prototype eventually crashed into the Federal Reserve building near MIA after an inflight cabin fire at night. A close friend that grew up across the street from me perished in that accident.

The assets with molds and tooling were sold and relocated to the Hickory NC airport. I have not heard any more about it after that. I heard that they went through over six million of investor money and kit deposits prior to shutting it down.

The fuselage frame was built with welded 4130 and looked like a NASCAR roll cage. It was overweight with poor performance, bad handling characteristics and many design flaws.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 11:56 

Post Likes: +1641
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
The Visionaire Visionjet was supposed to go into production in Hickory NC. I saw the prototype and mock up there.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 12:23 

It was overweight with poor performance, bad handling characteristics and many design flaws.

Huh. Where have I heard that before? :scratch:

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 13:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3687
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2
It was overweight with poor performance, bad handling characteristics and many design flaws.

Huh. Where have I heard that before? :scratch:

My MTB buddies said that about me before I lost weight....

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 270  Next