banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 07:29 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 270  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Raptor Aircraft 5 Seat Pressurized 3,600 NM Range Die
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2020, 22:37 

Post Likes: +346
Aircraft: Looking for one
Username Protected wrote:
New video with several taxi runs down the 8000' runway at Valdosta. I'll be surprised if Wasabi doesn't at least get a couple of flights in. Brave dudes.

I bet he flies it. If he gets it into ground effect and it feels okay. He’s going to take it up.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2020, 23:32 

Post Likes: +19425
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
For safety’s sake - I’m sure happy he’s at the bigger airport.

Bigger yes, safer? Have you looked at VLD from above?

KVLD on Google Maps

35 has a subdivision right off the end. A jog to the right puts you into the safety of the adjacent “mud swamp”.

17 has a clear way off the end if you don’t count the ALS stanchions. Not much past that either.

Apart from the additional runway length I don’t see this as a much better location. I can’t imagine that Wasabi just told him to find a better airport and left it at that, but neither can I believe they would have suggested this one. If I were them I’d have picked the airport and told him. Really, if you’re packing up and moving why not make the most of it? Take it to St Augustine. 7995’ and abort options everywhere. Or drag it up to Myrtle Beach Int’l where they have 9500 feet and good options.

I’m no test pilot, but VLD looks like a bad pick to me. If they turn him down again for the same reasons it’s their fault and I wouldn’t blame Peter for blowing a gasket.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2020, 23:43 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7391
Company: The French Tradition
Aircraft: 89 A36 TN, 78 Tiger
It really looks like he wants to yank on that yoke...
I would not blame him. Dreaming this this for so long. Sweating all those hours...
But it will not end well. Gravity is still here.
If he can get into ground effect, and not get into a giant porpoise, he may try to take it around in the pattern...
But my feeling is that the minute he starts to get into ground effect, the weight will bring him down quickly, and will hopefully not bounce too many times.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 01:14 

Post Likes: +346
Aircraft: Looking for one
For safety’s sake - I’m sure happy he’s at the bigger airport.

Bigger yes, safer? Have you looked at VLD from above?

KVLD on Google Maps

35 has a subdivision right off the end. A jog to the right puts you into the safety of the adjacent “mud swamp”.

17 has a clear way off the end if you don’t count the ALS stanchions. Not much past that either.

Apart from the additional runway length I don’t see this as a much better location. I can’t imagine that Wasabi just told him to find a better airport and left it at that, but neither can I believe they would have suggested this one. If I were them I’d have picked the airport and told him. Really, if you’re packing up and moving why not make the most of it? Take it to St Augustine. 7995’ and abort options everywhere. Or drag it up to Myrtle Beach Int’l where they have 9500 feet and good options.

I’m no test pilot, but VLD looks like a bad pick to me. If they turn him down again for the same reasons it’s their fault and I wouldn’t blame Peter for blowing a gasket.

Off 35 are commercial Buildings. But, I imagine if they decide to fly it, they would want to use 17.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 09:00 

Post Likes: +1180
Aircraft: Velocity XL-RG

Looks good (at least significantly better) to me. Do the flights on a calm day and you can takeoff on 17 and land on 35. Lots of wide open fields to the south. And almost as good to the east and west.

Myrtle Beach is pretty much surrounded by subdivisions and shopping centers. Other than the ocean, I don't see nearly as many off airport options there. St Augustine is a little better but not by much. Ocean, wetlands or trees.

Or is your idea of "better" being a place where if you can get high enough, you can bail out and not worry about the plane impacting populated areas? If that's the case, then St. Augustine would be best. Myrtle would be my second choice providing you use 18.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 09:33 

Post Likes: +13324
Aircraft: TU-104
New video with several taxi runs down the 8000' runway at Valdosta. I'll be surprised if Wasabi doesn't at least get a couple of flights in. Brave dudes.

They know what they are doing and they seem to have a significant number of MAJOR safety issues fixed or have identified suitable workarounds. As long as the engine and redrive hold up, I suspect that it will fly well enough (for an experienced test pilot) now that the flight controls are mostly sorted out.

There will still be a huge gulf between the actual flight performance and design goals, plus I am not sure the flight characteristics will be suitable for the typical low time GA pilot/builder. That and the fact that the engine and drive seem to be ticking time bombs. They may hold up for a few flights until Wasabi goes home, but then how much longer? :ohno: :hide:

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 09:38 

Post Likes: +2473
Aircraft: 210
Another one that wouldn't be too bad is Brunswick Golden Isles. I think landing out in a marsh might be better than open water. No tower at KBQK might be considered a positive by Peter since it would allow for more freedom of operation.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 10:36 

Post Likes: +4628
shouldn't the FAA have some say in where he is allowed to complete his phase 1 including his test flight? this takes into consideration the surrounding areas, the traffic to the airport, emergency services, etc

or so i thought

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 10:37 

Post Likes: +6508
Aircraft: PA-46-310P
shouldn't the FAA have some say in where he is allowed to complete his phase 1 including his test flight? this takes into consideration the surrounding areas, the traffic to the airport, emergency services, etc

or so i thought

He mentions in the video that he doesn't have the airworthiness addendum or something like that which would permit him to fly it. I have a feeling that might be the only thing holding him on the ground.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 10:47 

Post Likes: +1180
Aircraft: Velocity XL-RG
Correct. The Operating Limitations are part of the AW cert. The OL defines the test area. So until he gets new Operating Limitations, technically, all three wheels can't leave the ground (at the same time).

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 10:52 

Post Likes: +13205
Company: Cogswell Cogs, LLC
Aircraft: C205
shouldn't the FAA have some say in where he is allowed to complete his phase 1 including his test flight?

The DAR defines the acceptable flight test area/box once the plane passes his inspection.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 11:01 

Google Maps

re: Google Maps' aerial photos. This past weekend I was researching my grandparents home. When I arrived at the address ... I was surprised to find another house where Google was showing a pasture. The homeowner said that this new/unanticipated house was built in 1991.

Last edited on 12 Aug 2020, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 11:21 

Post Likes: +13324
Aircraft: TU-104
I suspect that it will fly well enough (for an experienced test pilot) now that the flight controls are mostly sorted out.

I am not comfortable that the controls are mostly sorted. I thought there were still problems with pitch forces increasing significantly with small loads on the ailerons.

I think that was fixed, along with most of the slop in the system. From what I have seen in the videos, the rudder deflecting beyond control range and getting stuck is still an outstanding issue, but I am not sure that will prevent a flight test.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 11:31 

I remember it differently. I'll go back and re-watch the video.

I hope that a rudder that somehow deflected significantly beyond the max control authority and remained stuck there when the input was removed ... will delay a first flight until understood and remedied.

Still curious about the angry olde know-it-all at the beginning of the video ...

Last edited on 12 Aug 2020, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 11:36 

Post Likes: +6508
Aircraft: PA-46-310P
Still curious about the angry olde man at the beginning of the video ...

I've been eager to see that story too. My best guess is airport manager. That's the kind of personality I've seen in an airport manager or two.

Is the guy in red (link) the same as the guy from the video?
https://www.tribuneledgernews.com/ledge ... ac121.html

Last edited on 12 Aug 2020, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 270  Next